hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't really know how we managed to get him to come to Hibs.

I mean - obviously it worked out very well for him as well as us, but his quality was obvious from day one.

Why was he leaving St Mirren to drop down to the Championship? Did he just need a bigger stage at Hibs and did he progress THAT much when he was with us?

I realise there was the whole "spear" incident but it all just seems strange that he didn't go to a much bigger club than us upon leaving St Mirren.

Do the likes of McLean and McGinn do better using us and Aberdeen as a stepping stone when compared to Mallan, who went to Barnsley and didn't make as much of an impact (setting aside the fact that McLean and McGinn are better players than Mallan imo).
    Wasn’t he meant to go and sign for a mls side but then chose us instead? Perfect move for both.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yep, he’s already signed an improved deal at Villa and he might get offered another. That sell on clause may never be activated.
    Which is why I've said before that a clause paying extra for appearances (to be deducted from any later sell on) is a good idea.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Which is why I've said before that a clause paying extra for appearances (to be deducted from any later sell on) is a good idea.
    How do we know we dont have that?

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    My all-time favourite Hibs player. His career has matched my hopes for him and more. If he retired tomorrow he would have an incredible highlight reel, but he has loads ahead of him still.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Gareth southgate was praising him yesterday along with Robertson Tierney and Mctominay, he's certainly getting noticed at the top of the game own there. Keep it up SJM👍
    So Southgate was praising the guys he’d heard of. There were others equally deserving of praise IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    So Southgate was praising the guys he’d heard of. There were others equally deserving of praise IMO.
    The point, I think is that Southgate was asked about Scotland as national manager of England and the first player he mentioned was McGinn. That could obviously be a Villa thing but he’s one of two players who would walk right into the England side and the other is a champions league EPL winner.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    SJM appears happy and settled at Villa who are a big club in their own right. His game is improving all the time. I dont think he will actively seek a move away from Villa Park in the near future but if those big Clubs like United, Arsenal et al coming calling with the readdies that satisfy both Villa and John he'll be off.
    He seems to happily settle into every club he’s been at so far. Must be a managers dream and also the fans hold him in the highest regard at his clubs to date. His career is continuing in an upward trajectory and I’m looki g forward to seeing him perform at the Euros next year.

Every season there seems to be something new to add when it comes to SJM:

League cup winner .... St Mirren
    Scottish cup winner ... Hibs
    Scottish championship winner ... Hibs
    EFL playoff final winner ... Aston Villa ... scored the winner
    And now an integral part of the first Scotland team to qualify for anything in 20 odd years.

Got a few fans awards and football writers awards as well.

The only reason I could see him leaving Aston Villa is to win more trophies, which is unlikely at Villa Park. If the likes of Man Utd or Liverpool were to come calling I doubt he would be able to resist, imagine sticking an FA cup or EPL title onto that resume, or even a European trophy. Because of the type of player he is I can't see him being a force at the very top level past his early 30s so he has around 6 years to make an even bigger impression than he already has.

Then he can come back to Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

And now an integral part of the first Scotland team to qualify for anything in 20 odd years.

The only reason I could see him leaving Aston Villa is to win more trophies, which is unlikely at Villa Park. If the likes of Man Utd or Liverpool were to come calling I doubt he would be able to resist, imagine sticking an FA cup or EPL title onto that resume, or even a European trophy. Because of the type of player he is I can't see him being a force at the very top level past his early 30s so he has around 6 years to make an even bigger impression than he already has.

Excellent post, gaun yersel you. And SJM obviously.....😁

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    He is my favourite Hibs player in over 50 years of watching us, I don't think that will change now.

Apart from being a class player he is a great person and I'm sure everybody in British football realises that.

I'm not sure about where his future lies, Villa have spent big and are doing well. They have the ability to keep improving and could easily be a top half club for years to come.

That's where our sell on fee could hit the skids. I don't think SJM will move simply because of money, in my opinion it will be to win trophies. So I don't see him moving to Everton, Leicester, Newcastle etc because Villa are every bit as likely as them.

That probably narrows it down to Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

I don't see him playing abroad but could be wrong on that.

My understanding is that as well as the sell on fee there are add ons regarding number of appearances. We have already picked up a promotion add on.

I would love to see us pick up a large sell on fee but as long as SJM is happy then that's good enough for me.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I love him so much that it breaks my heart when I see Villa fans calling him SJM etc, I'm like a jilted lover, he not yours he's ours

Took a London-based friend to watch a night game against when Dundee Utd, when SJM came back from injury and scored soon after getting subbed on. Had been droning on about Super-J in the pub beforehand, trying to convince him tgis olayer was the real deal and if he gets on he’ll show it. Well, friend was raving about him, and the atmosphere and rightly so. What a moment. SJM made that goal from almost nothing, and it was his absolute determination that did it. The man is the reason people go to games. Watch that and you heart bursts.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Put pretty much the same as that out as a tweet from the Longbangers account - SJM clearly adds something spectacular to teams.

He's some boy, like.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    After playing a major part in the successful Euro campaign for Scotland, and a solid start to the domestic season and getting back to full fitness with Aston Villa, his big move isn't far away, surely?

Not forgetting our massive bounty when he goes too, which I would hope might be a game changer for us spending some serious money in bringing in some proven quality players.
    Good post

The money will either offset massive Covid losses and help us survive, or if it comes in when things are back to normal could be used to seriously improve the first team.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I think if John McGinn adds more goals to his already impressive CV then it is a matter of time before he reaches the next stage of his career.

And in our first season back in the Premiership, he helped us to our highest points tally, Scores in Europe for us before he left as well, the boy is a winner. My favourite ever Hibs player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    And in our first season back in the Premiership, he helped us to our highest points tally, Scores in Europe for us before he left as well, the boy is a winner. My favourite ever Hibs player.
    A winner, but not just that, a winner in teams that aren't known for winning stuff which is why I would love to see him win an FA cup or League cup with Villa. This is a guy who could retire from football with a hat full of honours all won without having kicked a ball for a so called glamour club, which in the modern era would be an achievement in itself.