hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

McGinn...Super John of that ilk.

After playing a major part in the successful Euro campaign for Scotland, and a solid start to the domestic season and getting back to full fitness with Aston Villa, his big move isn't far away, surely?

Not forgetting our massive bounty when he goes too, which I would hope might be a game changer for us spending some serious money in bringing in some proven quality players.

Gareth southgate was praising him yesterday along with Robertson Tierney and Mctominay, he's certainly getting noticed at the top of the game own there. Keep it up SJM👍

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gareth southgate was praising him yesterday along with Robertson Tierney and Mctominay, he's certainly getting noticed at the top of the game own there. Keep it up SJM👍
    So Southgate was praising the guys he’d heard of. There were others equally deserving of praise IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    So Southgate was praising the guys he’d heard of. There were others equally deserving of praise IMO.
    The point, I think is that Southgate was asked about Scotland as national manager of England and the first player he mentioned was McGinn. That could obviously be a Villa thing but he’s one of two players who would walk right into the England side and the other is a champions league EPL winner.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    After playing a major part in the successful Euro campaign for Scotland, and a solid start to the domestic season and getting back to full fitness with Aston Villa, his big move isn't far away, surely?

Not forgetting our massive bounty when he goes too, which I would hope might be a game changer for us spending some serious money in bringing in some proven quality players.
    Not sure SJM would want to go, Villa are a massive club and I suspect he being an honourable guy would want to be part of them achieving former glory's. He would only have t listen to Des Bremner who is still very active around the club.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    Not sure SJM would want to go, Villa are a massive club and I suspect he being an honourable guy would want to be part of them achieving former glory's. He would only have t listen to Des Bremner who is still very active around the club.

They were. In the grand scheme of it they're like Dundee or St Mirren by modern standards.

McGinn would suit Liverpool down to the ground - or could be the lynchpin of the Man U midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    They were. In the grand scheme of it they're like Dundee or St Mirren by modern standards.

McGinn would suit Liverpool down to the ground - or could be the lynchpin of the Man U midfield.
    Yup - he would suit Arsenal too - the charge of "soft" is often levelled at them - he'd fix that.

His performances in the recent run of international games will not have gone un-noticed.

Here's hoping his move happens by next summer at the latest.

Yup - he would suit Arsenal too - the charge of "soft" is often levelled at them - he'd fix that.

His performances in the recent run of international games will not have gone un-noticed.

Here's hoping his move happens by next summer at the latest.
    Thing Arsenal lack is creativity. Defensively they are actually quite solid (Villa defeat aside) these days. They need Grealish far more than McGinn.

The soft tag is just laziness IMO.

Man United need McGinn type far more.

Before somebody asks, because someone always does, the sell on is 15% 😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Yup. I'd love us to get a chunk more money for John but Villa are doing well this year and I'm not sure with the impact of COVID that clubs in England will be offering Villa the kind of sums it would take to pride him away.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Yep, he’s already signed an improved deal at Villa and he might get offered another. That sell on clause may never be activated.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    A proper honour to have seen him in the green and white - could genuinely go on to have been one of the best players to have ever played for us. I get the feeling that whatever level he plays at he'll have something to offer to some level.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I still don't really know how we managed to get him to come to Hibs.

I mean - obviously it worked out very well for him as well as us, but his quality was obvious from day one.

Why was he leaving St Mirren to drop down to the Championship? Did he just need a bigger stage at Hibs and did he progress THAT much when he was with us?

I realise there was the whole "spear" incident but it all just seems strange that he didn't go to a much bigger club than us upon leaving St Mirren.

Do the likes of McLean and McGinn do better using us and Aberdeen as a stepping stone when compared to Mallan, who went to Barnsley and didn't make as much of an impact (setting aside the fact that McLean and McGinn are better players than Mallan imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I mean - obviously it worked out very well for him as well as us, but his quality was obvious from day one.

Why was he leaving St Mirren to drop down to the Championship? Did he just need a bigger stage at Hibs and did he progress THAT much when he was with us?

I realise there was the whole "spear" incident but it all just seems strange that he didn't go to a much bigger club than us upon leaving St Mirren.

Do the likes of McLean and McGinn do better using us and Aberdeen as a stepping stone when compared to Mallan, who went to Barnsley and didn't make as much of an impact (setting aside the fact that McLean and McGinn are better players than Mallan imo).
    I think this is key. Scottish football is talked down unfairly in my opinion. Hibs Aberdeen etc are a better option that lower championship clubs, where the objective is to avoid relegation at all costs. Much more chance to develop at somewhere like Hibs, with likely better footballing players around you.
    Look at Gallagher keeping Mitrovic in his pocket last night for instance. God knows what Mitrovic will be on at Fulham.
    The converse can be true though. Dykes looks a different player since he went down south

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Wasn’t he meant to go and sign for a mls side but then chose us instead? Perfect move for both.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yep, he’s already signed an improved deal at Villa and he might get offered another. That sell on clause may never be activated.
    Which is why I've said before that a clause paying extra for appearances (to be deducted from any later sell on) is a good idea.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Which is why I've said before that a clause paying extra for appearances (to be deducted from any later sell on) is a good idea.
    How do we know we dont have that?

It a real shame for both Hibs and St Mirren that we didn't get triple the money we did for John.
    Hopefully the sell on clauses can make up for some of that loss.

I remember being at the Cup replay at Easter Road against Hearts and wondering at the guy. I couldn't believe how much energy he put into the game that night. Well beyond every other player on the pitch. A force of nature. I can't believe Celtic couldn't see what I could. They should have been looking to offer us whatever we wanted to get the deal done immediately before anyone else noticed. He was a no risk purchase.

I smile when people on here say we still haven't replaced John. He was and is a force of nature the likes of which we may not see at Hibs again in our lifetime.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 13-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    It a real shame for both Hibs and St Mirren that we didn't get triple the money we did for John.
    Hopefully the sell on clauses can make up for some of that loss.

I remember being at the Cup replay at Easter Road against Hearts and wondering at the guy. I couldn't believe how much energy he put into the game that night. Well beyond every other player on the pitch. A force of nature. I can't believe Celtic couldn't see what I could. They should have been looking to offer us whatever we wanted to get the deal done immediately before anyone else noticed. He was a no risk purchase.

I smile when people on here say we still haven't replaced John. He was and is a force of nature the likes of which we may not see at Hibs again in our lifetime.
    The fact of the matter is we will never get megabucks for our players because they aren’t proven until they do it at a higher level. The best we can hope for is healthy sell on clauses and hope that he gets to a level where he goes for ridiculous cash.

Agree re SJM though. I can’t think of many players like him. His personality alone seems to drag teams over the line.

He’s won the league cup with St Mirren, Scottish cup with Hibs, promotion with villa (scored the winner) now qualified for a major tournament with Scotland.

What makes those achievements impressive is they were all won as the underdog to a lesser or greater degree.

It’s unbelievable Celtic didn’t just give us the cash that would have got him. I remember Celtic fans telling me he was pish and not worth it. In retrospect, it was probably just arrogance because they were skooshing every trophy so thought they were the best team on the planet and couldn’t lower themselves to paying the cash to Hibs.

He could easily have moved on from Hibs after the cup win but stuck around to get us out of the Championship. I can't see him being in any desperate rush to leave Villa, he's clearly settled in well there.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He could easily have moved on from Hibs after the cup win but stuck around to get us out of the Championship. I can't see him being in any desperate rush to leave Villa, he's clearly settled in well there.
    I'd agree with the first part of your statement, but i'd argue he was still developing as a player in the Championship and it was his consistency in the high-profile games with us in the SPL that got him his move, along with breaking into the international scene.

He's had one bad injury at Villa, and it's a short career. Having met him a couple of times he truly is a good lad and very humble with it, but if Villa get offered north of £35mil for him, they'll take it, and John will want to move as well.

He wont be asking for a transfer but that doesnt stop villa getting bids which hopefully they see as to good to turn down in a year or 2

I can't imagine SJM is in any rush to leave Villa.

He's now playing in the Premier League, the fans really like him and he seems to be quite happy there. I'd imagine he's on a very good salary already and his next contract should see that increase considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I can't imagine SJM is in any rush to leave Villa.

He's now playing in the Premier League, the fans really like him and he seems to be quite happy there. I'd imagine he's on a very good salary already and his next contract should see that increase considerably.
    The BBC gossip column was suggesting a couple of weeks back that there was another new contract in the works for SJM. Think the info was coming from Gabriel Agbonlahor IIRC.....

Part of the Hibs team that broke the hoodoo. Part of the Scotland team to get back in the big time. What a career already. This boy's going to be huge.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Part of the Hibs team that broke the hoodoo. Part of the Scotland team to get back in the big time. What a career already. This boy's going to be huge.
    Part of the St Mirren team that won the league cup as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Cant remember who did they beat?

🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I am so ashamed! I did not know that. He's got two, too! He's even more of a legend than I thought he was five minutes ago.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I am so ashamed! I did not know that. He's got two, too! He's even more of a legend than I thought he was five minutes ago.
    And they beat Hearts to win it. it just gets better and better

Wherever Mcginn goes, success tends to follow

Mighty meatball