hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Betfred second round – not quite there after tonight's results

Not that I think Dundee will beat us on Sunday but I just thought I’d work it out………….

After tonight’s results I have worked out that, on Hibs current points tally of 9 points and a +4 goal difference we still have a bit of work to do to qualify. 12 teams go through, the 8 who finish top along with the 4 best runners up. At the moment no second placed team from group A,F of G can match the 9 points we have so, if the unthinkable happened and we lost to Dundee, that means we only need to have done better than just one of the second placed teams from groups C,D,E or H.

The only way a second placed team from Group C can beat our tally is if St Johnstone beat Peterhead on penalties, which would make Peterhead the second placed team on 9 points (same as Hibs) and they will finish with a +3 goal difference (Hibs would have a maximum of +3 goal difference if we lose).

In Group D (assuming Ross County at least draw with Stirling Albion) this could possibly end with either Arbroath or Elgin (who play each other) on 9 points. Their current goal differences are +2 and +1 respectively so, again with Hibs maximum goal difference being +3 it could be tight.

In Group E Falkirk are already on 9 points (with all 4 games played) with a +6 goal difference, whilst Dunfermline have played 3 games and are also on 9 points with a +6 goal difference. It’s therefore unlikely that whoever comes 2nd in this group won’t qualify.

In Group H Livingston have 9 points and a +9 goal difference so even if they end up second their goal difference will probably be superior to Hibs. Alloa can also get 9 points by beating Stenhousemuir and their current goal difference is +2 so tight again if it comes down to it.

Obviously if we win as expected then we should go into the next round as a seeded team, making it impossible to be drawn against the jambos who are the only confirmed seeded team in the draw so far. A draw would also guarantee us qualification

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Radge70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not that I think Dundee will beat us on Sunday but I just thought I’d work it out………….

After tonight’s results I have worked out that, on Hibs current points tally of 9 points and a +4 goal difference we still have a bit of work to do to qualify. 12 teams go through, the 8 who finish top along with the 4 best runners up. At the moment no second placed team from group A,F of G can match the 9 points we have so, if the unthinkable happened and we lost to Dundee, that means we only need to have done better than just one of the second placed teams from groups C,D,E or H.

The only way a second placed team from Group C can beat our tally is if St Johnstone beat Peterhead on penalties, which would make Peterhead the second placed team on 9 points (same as Hibs) and they will finish with a +3 goal difference (Hibs would have a maximum of +3 goal difference if we lose).

In Group D (assuming Ross County at least draw with Stirling Albion) this could possibly end with either Arbroath or Elgin (who play each other) on 9 points. Their current goal differences are +2 and +1 respectively so, again with Hibs maximum goal difference being +3 it could be tight.

In Group E Falkirk are already on 9 points (with all 4 games played) with a +6 goal difference, whilst Dunfermline have played 3 games and are also on 9 points with a +6 goal difference. It’s therefore unlikely that whoever comes 2nd in this group won’t qualify.

In Group H Livingston have 9 points and a +9 goal difference so even if they end up second their goal difference will probably be superior to Hibs. Alloa can also get 9 points by beating Stenhousemuir and their current goal difference is +2 so tight again if it comes down to it.

Obviously if we win as expected then we should go into the next round as a seeded team, making it impossible to be drawn against the jambos who are the only confirmed seeded team in the draw so far. A draw would also guarantee us qualification

A draw in 90 minutes gets us through, even if we lose the penalties. Looks like a win by penalties gets us seeded?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Let’s just beat dundee and not have to worry about anything else. Should be more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Let’s just beat dundee and not have to worry about anything else. Should be more than capable.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Radge70 View Post

Unless St J win on penalties then we will be through. I’ve no doubt that we will be through by the time we kick a ball on Sunday thankfully. Regardless if we should win or not, I’d rather get it done without having to kick a ball. The only thing we then have to worry about is winning the game and being seeded in round 2.

If we lose Sunday then JR is under more pressure.

Left by mutual consent!
    If we fail to beat Dundee we don’t deserve anything.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Genuine question and not an arsey comment, is he genuinely already under pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Genuine question and not an arsey comment, is he genuinely already under pressure?
    He’s under no pressure apart from a couple of posters on here.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    An Edinburgh team failing to get an important result against Dundee.

Unheard of, IMO.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    He is under no pressure.
    Lost to Hearts because we didn't take our chances
    Lost to Aberdeen because we gifted them 2 goals
    If you are the owner or the board you understand that is the essence of football at our level.

IMO losing to Dundee would be far worse in that their defending against Hearts was horrific so there is little chance they will keep a clean sheet.
    Hibs win.

Coaching Staff
    Yep, that’s the attitude.

Very good pal.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    A draw in 90 minutes gets us through, even if we lose the penalties. Looks like a win by penalties gets us seeded?
    We'll qualify with a draw, even with a loss on penalties, but I don't think being seeded is guaranteed at the moment unless we win in 90 minutes. A win on penalties takes us to 11 points and we'll need to be one of the four best group winners in order to be seeded - other teams that could also top their groups with 11 or 12 points are;

Group A - Hearts
    Group C - Peterhead need to beat St Johnstone in 90 minutes possibly by two goals.
    Group D - Ross County need to beat Stirling Albion in 90 minutes.
    Group E - Dunfermline need to beat Clyde either on penalties or in 90 minutes.
    Group H - Livingston need to beat Airdrie either on penalties or in 90 minutes.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Get a grip

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I wouldn’t say JR is under pressure but plenty questions will be asked if we fail to beat a team our rivals pumped 6-2 only a few weeks ago.