Not that I think Dundee will beat us on Sunday but I just thought I’d work it out………….

After tonight’s results I have worked out that, on Hibs current points tally of 9 points and a +4 goal difference we still have a bit of work to do to qualify. 12 teams go through, the 8 who finish top along with the 4 best runners up. At the moment no second placed team from group A,F of G can match the 9 points we have so, if the unthinkable happened and we lost to Dundee, that means we only need to have done better than just one of the second placed teams from groups C,D,E or H.

The only way a second placed team from Group C can beat our tally is if St Johnstone beat Peterhead on penalties, which would make Peterhead the second placed team on 9 points (same as Hibs) and they will finish with a +3 goal difference (Hibs would have a maximum of +3 goal difference if we lose).

In Group D (assuming Ross County at least draw with Stirling Albion) this could possibly end with either Arbroath or Elgin (who play each other) on 9 points. Their current goal differences are +2 and +1 respectively so, again with Hibs maximum goal difference being +3 it could be tight.

In Group E Falkirk are already on 9 points (with all 4 games played) with a +6 goal difference, whilst Dunfermline have played 3 games and are also on 9 points with a +6 goal difference. It’s therefore unlikely that whoever comes 2nd in this group won’t qualify.

In Group H Livingston have 9 points and a +9 goal difference so even if they end up second their goal difference will probably be superior to Hibs. Alloa can also get 9 points by beating Stenhousemuir and their current goal difference is +2 so tight again if it comes down to it.

Obviously if we win as expected then we should go into the next round as a seeded team, making it impossible to be drawn against the jambos who are the only confirmed seeded team in the draw so far. A draw would also guarantee us qualification