hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684

    The Big Match Revisited (NHC)

    On just now on ITV4.

    They're showing games from 1974; Milwall v Portsmouth just finished and now showing Shefield Utd v Arsenal.


    The state of the pitches in both those games is just incredible!
    Last edited by Keith_M; 07-11-2020 at 12:11 PM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff HIBERNIAN-0762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In ma hoose.
    Posts
    5,057
    Always watch it, as you say the pitches are diabolical and you can add some of the fouling and downright terrible refereeing as well.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On just now on ITV4.

    They're showing games from 1974; Milwall v Portsmouth just finished and now showing Shefield Utd v Arsenal.


    The state of the pitches in both those games is just incredible!
    The Baseball Ground in the 70's, home of Derby County, always sticks in my head as the epitome of a ploughed field. Absolutely horrific.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Baseball Ground in the 70's, home of Derby County, always sticks in my head as the epitome of a ploughed field. Absolutely horrific.
    Yep....it was famously bad.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep....it was famously bad.
    I also remember when non league Hereford beat Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1972 with a famous goal from 30 yards out. An absolute sea of mud.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On just now on ITV4.

    They're showing games from 1974; Milwall v Portsmouth just finished and now showing Shefield Utd v Arsenal.


    The state of the pitches in both those games is just incredible!

    Peter Marinello was playing for Portsmouth

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Watch it every Saturday morning usually on after ITV Racing Morning Show

    Was gutted last week as they never had time to show the feature.....’Where are they now?’ .......


    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.

  9. #8
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Marinello was playing for Portsmouth

    Noticed that as well. You could see he was still a talented player.

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,509
    I remember my grandad got a big aerial put on his house in Leven so he could pick up Border region ITV and watch these matches. IIRC they didn't show them on STV or Grampian but they did throughout England and in the Border ITV region.

    I used to love going up to his house when there was football on. Must have been late 80s, maybe early 90s, just before the whole Sky and Premier League thing kicked off.

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    kirkcaldy
    Posts
    7,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember my grandad got a big aerial put on his house in Leven so he could pick up Border region ITV and watch these matches. IIRC they didn't show them on STV or Grampian but they did throughout England and in the Border ITV region.

    I used to love going up to his house when there was football on. Must have been late 80s, maybe early 90s, just before the whole Sky and Premier League thing kicked off.
    Yip ITV use to have a big Sunday afternoon football programme on in those days, loved it.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Where are they now ?

    Back today

    👍🏿

  13. #12
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684
    England v Cameroon, 1990 World Cup.


    I think I'll give it a miss today.


  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    England v Cameroon, 1990 World Cup.


    I think I'll give it a miss today.

    Naw it was on earlier

    Címon the Cameroon


  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member HH81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,686
    Had QPR v Burnley on today. There was a guy laying injured pretty much on the six yard line and they played on and scored about 30 secs later.

    The players had to run around him to try stop the goal, they failed ha.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where are they now ?

    Back today

    👍🏿

    Saw Ipswich Town v Middlesbrough. Young Graeme Souness playing for Boro.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw Ipswich Town v Middlesbrough. Young Graeme Souness playing for Boro.
    QPR looked decent with Gerry Francis and Don Masson in midfield

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    On now 1TV 4

    Leeds United v Wimbledon 1975

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,423
    Coventry v Arsenal now in a mudbath. Commentator says that the pitch may be playing a part...

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Pitches shocking

  21. #20
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On now 1TV 4

    Leeds United v Wimbledon 1975

    Just watched that on catch-up.

    Not sure if I picked it up wrongly but I was surprised when the post match commentary mentioned that Wimbledon were still an amateur side in 1975. That makes their rise up the leagues in the 80s even more remarkable.

  22. #21
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gateshead
    Age
    55
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched that on catch-up.

    Not sure if I picked it up wrongly but I was surprised when the post match commentary mentioned that Wimbledon were still an amateur side in 1975. That makes their rise up the leagues in the 80s even more remarkable.
    Up there with Grenta and The Rangers.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    11,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched that on catch-up.

    Not sure if I picked it up wrongly but I was surprised when the post match commentary mentioned that Wimbledon were still an amateur side in 1975. That makes their rise up the leagues in the 80s even more remarkable.
    Yeah When they interviewed the goalkeeper they asked him if he got a better offer if he would be prepared to turn full time?

    Vinnie Jones was also a Hollywood A lister after all

  24. #23
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah When they interviewed the goalkeeper they asked him if he got a better offer if he would be prepared to turn full time?

    ...

    He looked delighted to be getting the Monday off after the game.


  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched that on catch-up.

    Not sure if I picked it up wrongly but I was surprised when the post match commentary mentioned that Wimbledon were still an amateur side in 1975. That makes their rise up the leagues in the 80s even more remarkable.
    Canít be right. They were elected to the Football League in 1977 and will have been non league professionals for a while before that.

  26. #25
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    27,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Canít be right. They were elected to the Football League in 1977 and will have been non league professionals for a while before that.

    Cheers.

    Maybe the chat was around being part-time, then. The goalkeeper being interviewed definitely talked about his 'normal job'.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers.

    Maybe the chat was around being part-time, then. The goalkeeper being interviewed definitely talked about his 'normal job'.
    Thatíll be it. I see Wiki reckons they turned pro in 1964. The goalie in 75 appears to have gone by the delightful name of Dickie Guy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)