0 0%
  • PB

3 7.14%
  • DC

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Who was the best Bond?

Following the death of SC, I want to ask the Hibee community their opinion.

Mines is Brosnan, but that was probably generational - that and Tomorrow Never Dies is IMO the best Bond film.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Following the death of SC, I want to ask the Hibee community their opinion.

Mines is Brosnan, but that was probably generational - that and Tomorrow Never Dies is IMO the best Bond film.
    You’ve missed George Lazenby from the poll

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

Oh ****!

Admins please add GL to the poll!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    And David Niven!

And Bob Holness!

Voted Sean Connery, who will always be THE Bond IMO. Although prefer the grounded realistic Daniel Craig films.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Watched a great film last night on how George Lazenby got the bond gig. Some boy, even if half his stories are true. Check out Beckoming Bond

Connery
    Craig
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Moore
    Lazenby

I'd argue Lazenby actually delivered a decent performance in a poor film but the fact it was his only one makes it hard to assess him. Brosnan was a pretty poor Bond imo but Goldeneye was one of the best films and he was excellent in that. Dalton was arguably truest to the books and I liked the ice cold Bond he created. Craig is gritty and arguably gave the franchise an edge after the gimmick and gadget heavy Brosnan era.

The argument usually boils down to Connery v Moore and there is only one winner. Moore was camp, one dimensional and irritating. In another film that may have worked but he was never, ever Bond. Connery married sardonic wit, a knowing nod and a ruthless streak with an effortless smoothness. He will always be the Bond others are measured against and they'll never quite measure up. I can even forgive the obvious disinterest in the last couple to films he done (prior to NSNA).
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Connery is up there with Depp, Pistorious & all the other wife beaters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Connery
    Craig
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Moore
    Lazenby

I'd argue Lazenby actually delivered a decent performance in a poor film but the fact it was his only one makes it hard to assess him. Brosnan was a pretty poor Bond imo but Goldeneye was one of the best films and he was excellent in that. Dalton was arguably truest to the books and I liked the ice cold Bond he created. Craig is gritty and arguably gave the franchise an edge after the gimmick and gadget heavy Brosnan era.

The argument usually boils down to Connery v Moore and there is only one winner. Moore was camp, one dimensional and irritating. In another film that may have worked but he was never, ever Bond. Connery married sardonic wit, a knowing nod and a ruthless streak with an effortless smoothness. He will always be the Bond others are measured against and they'll never quite measure up. I can even forgive the obvious disinterest in the last couple to films he done (prior to NSNA).

excellently put

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Connery is up there with Depp, Pistorious & all the other wife beaters out there.
    What films did Depp & Pistorious play Bond in?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Seems odd to compare Sean Connery (never been convicted of any kind of wife beating at all) with Oscar Pistorious (who murdered his girlfriend).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Seems odd to compare Sean Connery (never been convicted of any kind of wife beating at all) with Oscar Pistorious (who murdered his girlfriend).
    Just like OJ, Pistorious was a wife beater for years before murdering their partners.

Its quite easy to find Connerys views on slapping woman, go on you tube & you will see the interview.

But with Sean Connery there’s something else that is deeply uncomfortable to reconcile with his status as a beloved actor.

Connery was known to physically abuse women. His former wife, Australian actress Diane Cilento, experienced a decade of physical and psychological abuse. **

During the course of their marriage, and just weeks after a violent incident Cilento later described, Connery openly remarked in interviews about his proclivity to slap women ‘who deserved it’.

“I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don’t recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man,” Connery said in a 1965 interview with Playboy magazine. “An open-handed slap is justified, if all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning. If a woman is a bitch, or hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I’d do it.”

Later when questioned about those comments he stood his ground saying there are instances where hitting women is warranted. *

On Sunday, writer, anti-violence campaigner, mental health and gender equality advocate,*Tarang Chawla*took to Twitter to address the issue of celebrating an icon who was known to perpetrate abuse against women. ***

Just like OJ, Pistorious was a wife beater for years before murdering their partners.

Its quite easy to find Connerys views on slapping woman, go on you tube & you will see the interview.

But with Sean Connery there’s something else that is deeply uncomfortable to reconcile with his status as a beloved actor.

Connery was known to physically abuse women. His former wife, Australian actress Diane Cilento, experienced a decade of physical and psychological abuse. **

During the course of their marriage, and just weeks after a violent incident Cilento later described, Connery openly remarked in interviews about his proclivity to slap women ‘who deserved it’.

“I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don’t recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man,” Connery said in a 1965 interview with Playboy magazine. “An open-handed slap is justified, if all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning. If a woman is a bitch, or hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I’d do it.”

Later when questioned about those comments he stood his ground saying there are instances where hitting women is warranted. *

On Sunday, writer, anti-violence campaigner, mental health and gender equality advocate,*Tarang Chawla*took to Twitter to address the issue of celebrating an icon who was known to perpetrate abuse against women. ***
    There’s a specific Sean Connery thread, thought this was about the best Bond?

I once hit a woman. I was working on the door of a nightclub and the woman spat on me and punched me in the face three times. After the 2nd punch I warned her that if she did it again I’d take her down. She did so I did. It was justified, not only in my opinion but that of the police who attended and viewed the cctv. So Connery was correct in his comment 55 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I once hit a woman. I was working on the door of a nightclub and the woman spat on me and punched me in the face three times. After the 2nd punch I warned her that if she did it again I’d take her down. She did so I did. It was justified, not only in my opinion but that of the police who attended and viewed the cctv. So Connery was correct in his comment 55 years ago.
    To be fair, I don't think Connery was talking only about self-defence.

What a disgusting thing for someone to do. What was her justification?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What a disgusting thing for someone to do. What was her justification?
    Being refused entry. Anyway, going off topic, just wanted to highlight what I felt was a poor post from GG in the circumstances.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 05-11-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Brosnan was IMO the best Bond, but like I say I'd imagine that its slightly a generational thing and more of a bias towards my favourite storyline. TND had everything from gadgets to a crackpot Rupert Murdoch-esque media mogul and his German right hand man. Christ it even had Teri Hatcher.

@hibs.net private member
    Being refused entry. Anyway, going off topic, just wanted to highlight what I felt was a poor post from GG in the circumstances.
    No one deserves what you had to put up with as a bouncer.
    Poor post! Let us just talk about all the good things SC done & sweep the rest under the carpet. His comments were not based on self defence.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    No one deserves what you had to put up with as a bouncer.
    Poor post! Let us just talk about all the good things SC done & sweep the rest under the carpet. His comments were not based on self defence.
    One can love the art, and hate the artist. This thread is about the former, no?

I'd say Dalton.

Brosnan was brilliant (especially in Goldeneye) but suffered from having **** films that were gadget heavy etc.

Always thought Sam Neill should have been Bond as well. Would have been brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I'd say Dalton.

Brosnan was brilliant (especially in Goldeneye) but suffered from having **** films that were gadget heavy etc.

Always thought Sam Neill should have been Bond as well. Would have been brilliant.

my dad has always been disappointed that Lewis Collins didn’t get a crack at in the early 80s, apparently was pretty close when Moore was playing a game of brinkmanship for more money ahead of one of the films, but ultimately agreed a fee and stayed in the role

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    a bitty off-topic but i see Kenneth Tsang was found dead in a covid quarantine hotel in Hong Kong :( i remember him playing General Moon in Die another Day

Kenneth Tsang Dies: Golden Age Hong Kong Film Actor Who Later Entered Hollywood Was 87 (msn.com)

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For me it was Roger Moore, the one a kinda grew up with .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Same here. I always thought he was sending the thing up a bit!

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I once spoke to Roger Moore and he was every bit as charming as you would want him to be, a lovely guy and a total gent

First Team Breakthrough
    Who should play the next Bond? Always thought Michael Fassbender or Henry Cavill would be good choices

Surely it's Basildon. 🤔

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Connery for me, then Moore. I've never been able to take to Daniel Craig at all for reason.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.