hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

TV or film remakes you'd like to see

I often wonder at TV and film studios choices when it comes to remaking old classics.

For example, one remake that should never have been conceived never mind actually cast, filmed and released was The Pink Panther.

How did they think they were going to improve on those almost perfect comedies?

It "starred" Steve Martin who really should have known better, and certainly could have afforded to.

However, with the massive advance in filming techniques, special effects and CGI, there must be numerous shows/films which would be ripe for modernisation.

One which I was reminded of this afternoon is Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). I loved that programme when I was young and, with the right cast and writers, I think it could be a huge success again.

What other oldies would you like to see "reimagined"?

Edit: I've just learned that Randall and Hopkirk Deceased was remade in 2000. It starred Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer. I'm horrified. What a waste of an opportunity.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 01-11-2020 at 04:27 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Here’s a suggestion the oldies might remember
    “The Champions” it was a bit Man from Uncle/Mission Impossible style, starring Alexandra Bastedo a boyhood crush of mine.

Quantum Leap.

The Prisoner (there was a remake but it was terrible).

Not a remake but I've always thought Glue by Irvine Welsh would make a brilliant 6 parter. I'm surprised no production company has ever looked at it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Land of the giants, remember watching it on a Sunday as a kid also Lost in Space which I have enjoyed watching the remake with my son

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Land of the giants, remember watching it on a Sunday as a kid also Lost in Space which I have enjoyed watching the remake with my son
    I was really impressed with Lost In Space. Toby Stephens is a fantastic actor - it must be genetic.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Blake's 7.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    ‘V’

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    ‘V’
    I'm sure they've tried that already, about 10 years ago.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Having seen The Dukes of Hazard & Starsky and Hutch ruined I am not sure what to put forward for the modern treatment.

One show that might benefit from advances in CGI is Monkey. Can still remember flicking two fingers across my mouth imagining that the right sound was coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Spooks. Loved it at the time, but it’s really dated now. Think a remake could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I'm sure they've tried that already, about 10 years ago.
    So they did. Seems a movie was in early production a couple of years ago too.

How about Til Death Us Do Part 🙀

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Some of the early Bonds might be quite cool remade. I find them unwatchable as they are, definitely generational.

First Team Breakthrough
    Instead of remaking the good stuff they should look to remake some of the poorer films and TVs programmes there are plenty out there . Somethings you just can't improve as the remakes of films like Get Carter and The Italian Job have shown
    Last edited by davy67 +; 03-11-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Some of the early Bonds might be quite cool remade. I find them unwatchable as they are, definitely generational.
    The entire Roger Moore era would be a good starting point. Worst Bond by a mile. Camp nonsense that looked more like a parody than Austin Powers ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The entire Roger Moore era would be a good starting point. Worst Bond by a mile. Camp nonsense that looked more like a parody than Austin Powers ever could.
    I like Roger Moore. He is the Saint though - never James Bond. That said I don't think his Bond films are without their redeeming qualities. Some great action and supporting cast in his era. Certainly the Sean Connery and then Daniel Craig version of Bond are more like it though.

I disagree that they should be remade. They should be left alone. The purists will 'get' the originals and remakes can only be inferior.
    Last edited by Wilson; 03-11-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Here’s a suggestion the oldies might remember
    “The Champions” it was a bit Man from Uncle/Mission Impossible style, starring Alexandra Bastedo a boyhood crush of mine.
    It would be rubbish without her in it.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I like Roger Moore. He is the Saint though - never James Bond. That said I don't think his Bond films are without their redeeming qualities. Some great action and supporting cast in his era. Certainly the Sean Connery and then Daniel Craig version of Bond are more like it though.

I disagree that they should be remade. They should be left alone. The purists will 'get' the originals and remakes can only be inferior.
    I always think Dalton as Bond is criminally underrated. He's certainly the closest resemblance to the books. I think he suffered because of the silliness of the Moore era, which had arguably begun by the time Connery was ready to call it a day. Dalton's coldness was just too far removed from what had just gone before. Probably a discussion for another thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I always think Dalton as Bond is criminally underrated. He's certainly the closest resemblance to the books. I think he suffered because of the silliness of the Moore era, which had arguably begun by the time Connery was ready to call it a day. Dalton's coldness was just too far removed from what had just gone before. Probably a discussion for another thread though.

I agree mate, also had to wait during some legal wranglings in the early 90s that held up what would have been his 3rd film, by the time they were ready to do goldeneye he felt his time had passed and asked to leave the role.

he’s excellent in his 2 films, very much the literary bond, and both have interesting questions being asked after the silliness of many of Moore’s films - living daylights has its lighter moments but looks at how do you know if an ally is actually an enemy, and license to kill looks at what happens to a person with his skills when something in his personal life is attacked, and how do they deal with that and act in possible retaliation

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Maybe 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'

The book, the original TV series and the film were all particularly different, but all very good. I think it could be reimagined for the current age.

On a slight tangent, a couple of years back, I had high hopes that when Trump was sounding like he would visit North Korea, the John Adams opera 'Nixon in China' would be reworked but it wasn't to be.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    I quite enjoyed the reboot on netflix of Lost in Space.
    Knight Rider updated (no teslas please) along with the Dukes of Hazard (no idea what they'd do there)
    Along with the A-Team, Saturday nights could be interesting again!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    Knight Rider updated (no teslas please) along with the Dukes of Hazard (no idea what they'd do there)
    Remember when Saturday nights used to be interesting without TV?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    They already redid Knight Rider in 2008/9 with what was meant to be Michael's son.

I think I lasted about 15 minutes.

I think a new version of Soap could work well.

It wouldn't even need to be based on the original characters, just as long as it parodied other programmes on the go.

First Team Breakthrough
    One show that might benefit from advances in CGI is Monkey. Can still remember flicking two fingers across my mouth imagining that the right sound was coming out.

There is an updated version on Netflix. It's awful.

Jack Reacher Movies could be remade with actor who resembles a 6’ 5” man instead of Tom Cruise ( who did a decent job but was miscast )

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Jack Reacher Movies could be remade with actor who resembles a 6’ 5” man instead of Tom Cruise ( who did a decent job but was miscast )
    I love the Reacher books, and was massively sceptical about the films with Tom Cruise, but I think he’s pretty good. He doesn’t fit the description but it still kind of works.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Is representation to the book important in terms of physicality in a film adaptation? If it’s a good performance/film does that not mitigate any casting choices etc?

Probably a question for a different thread, and not meant to single you out. More generally should films stick to the source material? What about Bond? Sure we’ll have a black or female Bond in the near future, I think Idris Elba would be good, but that’s different to the character in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is representation to the book important in terms of physicality in a film adaptation? If it’s a good performance/film does that not mitigate any casting choices etc?
    Not's so much a casting choice. Tom Cruise is the producer, having bought the film rights, so it's very much his ball.

Probably a question for a different thread, and not meant to single you out. More generally should films stick to the source material? What about Bond? Sure we’ll have a black or female Bond in the near future, I think Idris Elba would be good, but that’s different to the character in the books.
    I don't see any problem making new Bond films with modern plots and why not a female and/or black 007, but there's no reason to pretend it's the original James Bond character.

I think this is happening now - a TV adaptation for Amazon with a new cast