hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Dog breeders

@hibs.net private member

Dog breeders

We’re considering/have decided to get a dog - we know the types we’d like (one of my kids has allergies so we need to look for a hypoallergenic). List has been narrowed to Miniature Schnauzer, Bichon Frise, West Highland Terrier.

Does anyone know where I start?

2. Log in to remove the advert

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...-dog-or-puppy/

Some good info here. We considered a dog a while back, we ultimately decided against it for now, but we were advised to avoid adverts on Facebook, Gumtree and the like.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers PB - had a look on there yesterday. Lots of good stuff.

I’ve also read that gumtree etc should be avoided.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    We have had dogs for many many years, some pedigrees and some rescues. DO NOT go near FB, Gumtree etc. Have a look to see the houses that the dogs are being bred in, a clean, well looked after dog area and house probably gives an indication of how the dogs are treated. Don't be afraid to walk away either. The last dog we got is a white Germany Shepherd and we got him in the fourth place we looked at. Don't jump in. For what you are looking for make sure you get all the KC registration etc, vets certs, chipped if possible. Good luck

Research research research.

Know how to tell a healthy dog and one that might have issues. Make sure you know the main issues with whatever breed you go for so you can spot them. Check the inside and around ears and the nose. Check eyes. Check gums and teeth. Check paws and nails.

Also sit back and let the pups come to you. Don't necessarily pick the first one to run over. Watch how they interact

Ask to see mum and or dad, ask questions about the line and if you don't think things add up then walk away.

Your heart will break and you'll want to take everyone you see but trust me, an hour or two of heart break and a day or so of pangs of guilt is far better than a few years or more of financial drain and kids crying cos puppy is sick again.

Also be aware that breeds sold as hypoallergenic aren't always and ALL dogs shed in some ways

Good luck, any questions just ask. Your life is going to get some much harder but enhanced in ways you'd never imagine. Dogs are the best.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Start looking at dogs' homes or SSPCA site. Those dogs that are given a second chance comes first if possible.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers for the tips everyone.

Does anyone know of reputable breeders that I could contact?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers for the tips everyone.

Does anyone know of reputable breeders that I could contact?
    I've only ever used a breeder in Stoke but then I've had beagles and cockers. First one put me onto second. I'm also in Manchester now.

Try the KC list as a start.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    We’re considering/have decided to get a dog - we know the types we’d like (one of my kids has allergies so we need to look for a hypoallergenic). List has been narrowed to Miniature Schnauzer, Bichon Frise, West Highland Terrier.

I got a miniature schnauzer puppy about 4 weeks ago.

Saw the advert on pets4homes.co.uk, KC registered, saw the pups with the mum in her house a couple of weeks before we got her. Vet checked her out, everything fine. Had her final injection last week, so we've had her out and she brilliant!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I got a miniature schnauzer puppy about 4 weeks ago.

Saw the advert on pets4homes.co.uk, KC registered, saw the pups with the mum in her house a couple of weeks before we got her. Vet checked her out, everything fine. Had her final injection last week, so we've had her out and she brilliant!
    They’re cracking wee dogs - have you found her to be a bit “yippy”?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    They’re cracking wee dogs - have you found her to be a bit “yippy”?
    Not at all actually. She's been great. Doesn't bark for attention, only cries when she needs to go out. Took to house training straight away, very few accidents in the house. She'll sit, lie down, give you a paw, and go round in a wee circle on command already. Plays really well with other dogs. This is my 3rd puppy, and she's been by far the easiest to deal with.

We got a West Highland Terrier 11 years ago, went via the Kennel Club website, had to go to Doncaster but was worth it, good luck.

@hibs.net private member
    Got myself a puppy - collected her at the weekend. 8 week old Miniature Schnauzer - she’s lovely, really smart and loving. Loving it all already.

Got myself a puppy - collected her at the weekend. 8 week old Miniature Schnauzer - she’s lovely, really smart and loving. Loving it all already.
    Pictures!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Pictures!

I’m not sure how you add them on here?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Brilliant dogs, ours is 6 year old now and still as lively as when he was a puppy!

If you’ve not already then recommend you join these groups, before this virus there was regular meet ups, sometimes had nearly 100 Schnauzers on Yellowcraigs beach!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mini...and/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1712...928/?ref=share

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    Brilliant dogs, ours is 6 year old now and still as lively as when he was a puppy!

If you’ve not already then recommend you join these groups, before this virus there was regular meet ups, sometimes had nearly 100 Schnauzers on Yellowcraigs beach!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mini...and/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1712...928/?ref=share
    Cheers mate - I had already joined the first one and will have a look at the second.

She’s 10 weeks old on Friday - good fun, sleeps a lot, toilet training not bad. I’ve been doing a zoom puppy training course and she’s responding really well to that - she comes to me when I whistle, can sit and lie down etc. She’s especially good when the cameras on her - not as much when we’re just practising!

Get a mongrel. They're more interesting.

I think you may choose Lagotto. In your case it's a perfect variant. They are one of the best breeds of dogs ever, beause they are active, hypoallergenic and really smart.
    Anyway, if you have such problems you may just buy an air purifier and special vacuums for home cleaning. But I may assure you, these dogs don't shed.