hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sam Stanton

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Sam Stanton

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Sam is a top lad. Good to see him doing well in America. That article though - pure Soccer Guy.

I didn’t realise he had moved over there. The best of luck to him, a player I had really hoped would do well with us.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    He has settled down there and loves it

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sam is a top lad. Good to see him doing well in America. That article though - pure Soccer Guy.

"If you watch him when he turns on those afterburners, man, he can really move" - Yeah!

Always liked Sam and wish him well in the US
    This is how it feels

Great stuff! I don't know why more players don't do that if they get the chance.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Good luck to him. Not sure who told them he was the youngest player in our history to make his debut, doubt if he's in the top 20.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Does his team play in the top league in America?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Check out Sam Stanton #11 in this Development Squad game versus Wee Huns for those that haven’t seen it :

https://youtu.be/iprozfywQhc

Loads of natural ability

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Sam has never had it easy but has had just enough ability and drive not to drop away.
    Hope he can get a few seasons out of this.

First Team Breakthrough PhoenixHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Does his team play in the top league in America?
    No, they are not an MLS team but they are definitely trying to be The cost is very high to get an expansion licence though.

I liked Sam,very skillful player, got a couple of injuries at a time when he started getting a few regular games, lacked a bit of strength.

I liked Sam and still feel he could and should have played more the year we won the cup.

I’m a Stubbs fan, I don’t like to hear him criticised too much but I do feel he could have rotated his squad more that season to make us more competitive in the league. I thought that Stanton was good enough to play a bigger part and shouldn’t have been out on loan at that time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I liked Sam and still feel he could and should have played more the year we won the cup.

I’m a Stubbs fan, I don’t like to hear him criticised too much but I do feel he could have rotated his squad more that season to make us more competitive in the league. I thought that Stanton was good enough to play a bigger part and shouldn’t have been out on loan at that time.
    I respectfully disagree on that one mate. I don’t think he was good enough, great goal in they game we got smashed off them in that diddy cup mind you. I always felt Handling was better.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    I respectfully disagree on that one mate. I don’t think he was good enough, great goal in they game we got smashed off them in that diddy cup mind you. I always felt Handling was better.
    Handling played a part in some very decent team performances. I always thought he was a bit too lightweight (the criticism most often levelled at Stanton) and he probably got about as far as he could / should.

In all fairness, I think most folk would agree with you re Stanton and I appreciate I’ll be in the minority. I also went to a United game with a mate and he played well that day too.

I just thought that a fresh but imperfect Stanton might have been a better bet than a superiorly talented but physically and mentally knackered alternative, that season a few of our players fitted that description at times.

Especially when you consider the quality of some of the teams we were struggling to beat.

Left by mutual consent!
    Good lad Sam

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I had hoped that the first season in the championship would be the making of Stanton, Handling, and Cummings. In Stantons case he was the standout in a poor team and the other two were showing fleeting moments to suggest potential was there.

Cummings obviously took the chance and has thrived since, Handling was unlucky with injuries but looked to have grabbed a few opportunities in Stubbs' eyes, but for whatever reason after the relegation Stanton could never replicate the form from the previous season at us which was a shame.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Likewise. Great move for him though, if you’re not going to make it big over here then it’s a great move lifestyle wise.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Handling played a part in some very decent team performances. I always thought he was a bit too lightweight (the criticism most often levelled at Stanton) and he probably got about as far as he could / should.

In all fairness, I think most folk would agree with you re Stanton and I appreciate I’ll be in the minority. I also went to a United game with a mate and he played well that day too.

I just thought that a fresh but imperfect Stanton might have been a better bet than a superiorly talented but physically and mentally knackered alternative, that season a few of our players fitted that description at times.

Especially when you consider the quality of some of the teams we were struggling to beat.
    Agree with some of that tbh mate 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Likewise. Great move for him though, if you’re not going to make it big over here then it’s a great move lifestyle wise.
    100%.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    100%.
    In the last few weeks he’ll have been to Vegas, LA and San Diego. Had he stayed in Scotland he’d be making trips to Alloa, Arbroath, Kirkcaldy and Dundee

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    In the last few weeks he’ll have been to Vegas, LA and San Diego. Had he stayed in Scotland he’d be making trips to Alloa, Arbroath, Kirkcaldy and Dundee
    Aye but there won’t be any deep fried pizza and decent chips in they places 😄

You're right there, have to eat those fharkin pretzel things....blech......

Testimonial Due
    As maybe the only Hibs and Rising fan, it was awesome to watch Sam this year, even if only 3 games in person. He looked pretty smooth out there even in the 100+ degree heat. Final on ESPN this Sunday evening.