hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Football Becoming A Powder Puff No Contact Sport

I love looking back on You Tube at games from the 60s and 70s for the physicality on show compared to today's game. I am not an avid viewer of non-Hibs games but I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine stonewall penalty when a player was actually hacked down or properly fouled, rather than falling over of his own accord (eg Doidge Sat)or leaving a trailing leg to get "tripped" (eg Sheep McLennan y'day) or backing into and bouncing off a defender (eg Sheep/Hun Ferguson y'day). None of these would have been penalties back in the day. Elyounoossie too.
    I know it's part of the game now and Hibs players have got to do as all others do or lose out, but it has become an accepted form of cheating throughout the game which really pisses me off. Just saying. Where next? No contact at all?

2. Log in to remove the advert

On the other hand, players are far less likely to have their careers cut short through being hacked down all the time.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    As long as Aberdeen, Hearts, Ross County and such are permitted to hack their way through games, non contact is still a long way off.

Yes,over pampered players nowadays wouldn’t last a season in the Sunday churches league ( shows you my age bracket )

Might just be me but I like football matches to be decided on quality, not who can hurt more opponents or get away with more fouls. Far superior game today.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Like a lot of things nowadays it’s gone too far. Players getting booked or red carded for incidents that imo don’t merit it at all. I agree I don’t want to see players just being hacked to the ground but even the ‘hard but fair’ challenges are often being penalised. And don’t get me started on the “he felt contact so was entitled to go down’ penalties that are regularly awarded. As the OP states it’s a contact sport.

Hibs will find out on Saturday it is still a contact sport. Hearts players are talking in the press about “stopping “ Hibs playing which is code for kick them.

Let’s hope Hibs remember it is still a contact sport and compete to win what will ultimately be a fight as Derbies often are.

I expected this to be a thread title on kickback on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs will find out on Saturday it is still a contact sport. Hearts players are talking in the press about “stopping “ Hibs playing which is code for kick them.

Let’s hope Hibs remember it is still a contact sport and compete to win what will ultimately be a fight as Derbies often are.
    One thing I would say - from what I've seen so far, Alex Gogic was born to dominate Edinburgh derbies.

We've got players of our own who can stop them playing.

Just a shame we probably can't find a space for Darren McGregor.

Depends on who you ask.

As a viewer, I’d like to see more fair honest contact, less diving and officials to be in the background, not trying to be the star. It’s not just the way the rules are being applied, it’s the actual rules as they are being rewritten now. Wenger and Platini behind a lot of the tinkering from what I’ve been reading.

But if I was a player, or a parent of a player, I’d probably appreciate the increased protection the refs give you these days and a retirement free of ibuprofen and knee replacements.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 26-10-2020 at 09:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Did Berry ever apologise for breaking Paul Wrights leg?

For me typifies Hearts Taking willingness to win at all costs to a different level.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    On the other hand, players are far less likely to have their careers cut short through being hacked down all the time.
    Nail on head.

There's far less call now for "players" who were effectively glorified hitmen.

The only real difference I notice is the players' willingness to throw themselves to the ground is much greater than when I started watching football.

I remember watching World Cup matches as a kid and being disgusted with some of the South American sides for their play-acting and diving. Now that's pretty much become the norm.

This is compounded by some commentators saying things like "there was contact so he was right to go down"... after said player was lightly touched on the arm by somebody's finger.

I don't envy referees their job now, as the players make it a lot harder.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    I completely disagree and whilst I admire a strong, but fair tackle, I think there had to be changes made to protect players. I record all the old 'Big Match' programmes that they show from the 1970s and cringe whenever I see a great dribble or run ended by a cynical tackle that sometimes doesn't even lead to a finger-wagging from the ref.

Having played amateur football for over 20 years, from the mid-1980s, I loved the (fair) physical side of the game, but one of the best things that I think happened to football was when the changes began to filter down to the lower levels. I ran a team for about 20 years and we had a 'no-bams' policy, which often meant we lost out to more physical teams, particularly when they were able to intimidate the ref, as well as some of my teammates. It's partly due to the introduction of better artificial surfaces, but when I watch my old team play now, the guy who took over from me goes mental if they play long balls and wants everything played out from the back. A big part of this is that they know they aren't going to get instantly blootered if they try to play football or, if they do, then the refs are now taking action. I despair when folk hark back to some golden era where you could kick whoever you liked and I got fed up of having to go to work on a Monday morning limping after some talentless idiot had kicked me up and down the park for 90 minutes on the Sunday.

Yes, diving, rolling about etc. is wrong, but to me it is preferable to having your best players kicked out the game, sometime for months. I heard from a colleague that Alex MacDonald used to tell the Hearts players to aim their tackles at the top of the ball so that they would get both ball and man. Do we really want to go back to those days where if you got a slight touch on the ball it was deemed a fair tackle, regardless of whether the action of your tackle caused injury to your opponent?

It's a good thing that thuggery has largely been banished from the sport, but the dives and feigned injuries that have replaced it haven't made football any better.

For perspective, every week I see rugby and NFL players shrug off hits that are far worse than anything on a football pitch.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The only real difference I notice is the players' willingness to throw themselves to the ground is much greater than when I started watching football.

I remember watching World Cup matches as a kid and being disgusted with some of the South American sides for their play-acting and diving. Now that's pretty much become the norm.

This is compounded by some commentators saying things like "there was contact so he was right to go down"... after said player was lightly touched on the arm by somebody's finger.

I don't envy referees their job now, as the players make it a lot harder.
    It's funny how there is this thread but recently there was another one criticising Boyle and Doidge for staying on their feet after challenges and not going down to try and win a penalty.

@hibs.net private member
    Got to be the worst reaction I've seen to what must have been a brutal tackle.
    https://mashable.com/2017/05/31/foot...e/?europe=true

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Might just be me but I like football matches to be decided on quality, not who can hurt more opponents or get away with more fouls. Far superior game today.
    I can't recommend this comment enough.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I can't recommend this comment enough.
    Too many games can now hinge on which team has the best cheats, whether it be diving for penalties or completely over reacting to any form of contact and getting opposition players sent off. Both these scenarios play a major part in modern match results which I detest.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It's a good thing that thuggery has largely been banished from the sport, but the dives and feigned injuries that have replaced it haven't made football any better.

For perspective, every week I see rugby and NFL players shrug off hits that are far worse than anything on a football pitch.

I've never seen anyone in either of those sports take a straight leg studs to the knee. Moreover, those sports are supposed to be heavy on contact, players train accordingly, expect contact, and in the case of the NFL wear suitable protective equipment.

I don't think feigning injuries is a new phenomenon either. I'm sure anyone who attended the "Matty Jack" Dundee United game would remember that United tried to run down the clock and disrupt play by faking injuries frequently throughout the game. The old pros would often talk of "using their experience to slow the game down".

The problem with football is that what constitutes illegal contact can be very subjective, even when analysed repeatedly in slow motion. It's an imperfect situation to which there may be no satisfactory solution. I definitely don't want to return to the days when skillful players could just be wiped out by the Sounesses or Walter Kidds of this world but neither do I want football to become a no-contact sport.

When it comes to naming the best Diver to gain a penalty in scottish football I nominate Steven Pressley .
    Not for him the diving outwards his master stroke was just dropping to the ground like his legs had been cut off .
    fooled so many referees .

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    [/B]I've never seen anyone in either of those sports take a straight leg studs to the knee. Moreover, those sports are supposed to be heavy on contact, players train accordingly, expect contact, and in the case of the NFL wear suitable protective equipment.

I don't think feigning injuries is a new phenomenon either. I'm sure anyone who attended the "Matty Jack" Dundee United game would remember that United tried to run down the clock and disrupt play by faking injuries frequently throughout the game. The old pros would often talk of "using their experience to slow the game down".

The problem with football is that what constitutes illegal contact can be very subjective, even when analysed repeatedly in slow motion. It's an imperfect situation to which there may be no satisfactory solution. I definitely don't want to return to the days when skillful players could just be wiped out by the Sounesses or Walter Kidds of this world but neither do I want football to become a no-contact sport.
    Is that something you see every week in football? I certainly don't......

Testimonial Due
    I watched the 1996 New Year derby recently and that was brutal. Remember the first Scottish game in Sky -Motherwell vs Hibs on a Friday night. Living in England at the time. First minute a Motherwell player takes the ball then Hibs player into the advertising hoardings. Commentator says thst's got to be red. Not even a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    It's funny how there is this thread but recently there was another one criticising Boyle and Doidge for staying on their feet after challenges and not going down to try and win a penalty.

I know, and I was thinking about that one when I wrote the post you quoted. I don't like to see players fall over when there has been little or no contact, as happens so often these days.

But there's also the problem with players being fouled and the Referee not seeing it, therefore not awarding a free-kick when one was actually justified. This happens quite a lot against certain teams that have it almost down to fine art, e.g. Hearts under Levein.

I think there's a difference between players diving for a foul that never was and the ones that get fed up of no award being given when trying to stay on their feet and deciding to be more theatric to make it more obvious to the Ref.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Likewise.

The ‘Roy Keane fan club’ style of football is thankfully long gone, no matter how much guys like Keane and Souness almost combust telling people how Pogba, De Bruyne or whoever wouldn’t have made it in their day. Football is a much better sport for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I love looking back on You Tube at games from the 60s and 70s for the physicality on show compared to today's game. I am not an avid viewer of non-Hibs games but I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine stonewall penalty when a player was actually hacked down or properly fouled, rather than falling over of his own accord (eg Doidge Sat)or leaving a trailing leg to get "tripped" (eg Sheep McLennan y'day) or backing into and bouncing off a defender (eg Sheep/Hun Ferguson y'day). None of these would have been penalties back in the day. Elyounoossie too.
    I know it's part of the game now and Hibs players have got to do as all others do or lose out, but it has become an accepted form of cheating throughout the game which really pisses me off. Just saying. Where next? No contact at all?
    Calum McGregor pretty much booted McLennan in the shin yesterday so don’t think that’s a great example for your argument!

This, all the way.

Here's one of the 'powderpuff' modern tackles.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gpmfv

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

The NFL will be dealing with a great deal of litigation when it comes to a lack of care for players welfare. It's utter stupidity what they get up to. Rugby's reckoning will come as well now that all the players are 18 stone steam engines.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Is that something you see every week in football? I certainly don't......
    Did I say I saw it every week....?