hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks John, I haven't seen whole game yet but it looked like we did an "Aberdeen" on them. The penalties were very similar to our earlier defeat this season, a home player being robbed of the ball & then the defender inadvertently catching the attacker. After that, sit in, look comfortable & try & catch the home team on the break. Not sure I'd like to see that every week but it's a great result at a tough venue with an awful pitch.
    Well said Brog, only difference for me is I'd shamelessly lap that up every week. After Hecky, I find us calmly seeing out a game highly erotic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Thanks John, I haven't seen whole game yet but it looked like we did an "Aberdeen" on them. The penalties were very similar to our earlier defeat this season, a home player being robbed of the ball & then the defender inadvertently catching the attacker. After that, sit in, look comfortable & try & catch the home team on the break. Not sure I'd like to see that every week but it's a great result at a tough venue with an awful pitch.
    We do have the discipline and work rate of an Aberdeen side. But we were better than doing a number on them imo..we were on the front foot for large parts of the game. Created some decent chances. Some good individual performances too ..The pitch is a killer isn’t it . We seem to have played on too many of them this season. They should be banned from top level football. Not sure I’ve ever seen a decent game on them...

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    “Interestingly the referee only yellow carded the Killie man, unlike the incident last week when the ref showed a red. I get easily confused with the rule these days but despite there being a huge difference in where the offence occurred, I don’t see them as being that much different.”

In hindsight I bet Dikamona wishes he had been sent off given his unfortunate injury he later sustained.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Thanks Johnny Boy it is like waiting on the Pink News waiting on your match report 😁

Yep, I don't have access to the Hibs games on screen at the momen and I can't bear Radio Scotland so Johnny Boy's detailed match reports are much appreciated.

Good, interesting report, as ever - thought we were good in phases, but too often poor decision making let us down ... we will need to be much more alert and up for it on Saturday, at all times, when the neighbours come calling - stream was absolutely perfect in Berlin by the way

Coaching Staff
    It worries me that Boyle seems to have gone off the boil at the present time. 🙄

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    It worries me that Boyle seems to have gone off the boil at the present time.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Crap pitches don't suit Boyle's game and I think this has caused his apparent downturn in form.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Well said Brog, only difference for me is I'd shamelessly lap that up every week. After Hecky, I find us calmly seeing out a game highly erotic.
    The sequence with Newall and Boyle late on protecting the ball from the Killie defenders down at the corner flag was definitely sexy football unexpectantly ending in a swung in cross into the box to Meiker Hallberg standing in splendid isolation for a free header on goal

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    The sequence with Newall and Boyle late on protecting the ball from the Killie defenders down at the corner flag was definitely sexy football unexpectantly ending in a swung in cross into the box to Meiker Hallberg standing in splendid isolation for a free header on goal
    Aye, that brought a wee smile to my face
    This is how it feels

Boyle needs a grass pitch. His touch to get past players always holds up more on grass. I’m looking forward to him at Hampden skinning players and cutting back for a nice Newell goal

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    As if it’s not frustrating enough to have to watch a game on TV, that frustration multiplied this afternoon with the Killie TV offering falling well short of being acceptable. The amount of buffering was beyond a joke and made following the flow of the play nigh on impossible. With that in mind I apologise in advance if I miss any key moments that may have occurred as the site buffered.

Last week we played pretty well and should have earned more than a single point against Ross County. This week, from what I could make out we didn’t play quite so well but importantly we got the three points. Over the piece I felt Hibs were the better side and so perhaps justice was done.

Only one change was made from the team that started against Ross County with Stevie Mallan preferred to Kyle Magennis in midfield, the latter having been included in the subs.

Hibs were quick out of the blocks and a left footed drive from Newell swerved late and just past the post. At the other end, Rossi might have done better with a headed attempt, but the effort flew well wide of Marciano’s post. As usual the surface wasn’t doing anyone any favours and just when it looked as though a Mallan pass was going to let Boyle in behind the defence the ball held up and allowed Waters to clear. Boyle did get in on one occasion but a poor second touch saw the ball roll harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

With the half hour approaching, Dikamona misjudged the flight of the ball, allowing it drop over his head. Just as the Killie man went to clear the ball, Doidge got a touch and then fell in the area. After a few seconds, the referee pointed to the spot. I’ll be honest, when the tackle happened, I shouted for a penalty but when I saw the incident in replay, I have to admit it was soft. Kevin Nisbet wasn’t bothered by any of that as he sent Rogers the wrong way to put Hibs 1-0 up. Interestingly the referee only yellow carded the Killie man, unlike the incident last week when the ref showed a red. I get easily confused with the rule these days but despite there being a huge difference in where the offence occurred, I don’t see them as being that much different.

With half time approaching, Dikamona rose to challenge for a header and as he landed his right ankle gave way under him and after lengthy treatment, he had to leave the pitch on a stretcher. I confess to feeling sorry for the lad and I can’t help but feel the pitch played a part because on grass the landing would have been more cushioned. As it was it must have been like landing on concrete.

Soon after that, Alan Power was booked for a cynical foul on Boyle and it was amusing to hear the
    Killie commentator describe the yellow as harsh.

Up to this point I felt Hibs were pretty much in control of the midfield with Newell pinging several good passes as did Mallan whilst Gogic did what Gogic does in breaking up the Killie flow of play.

The second half began with Doig on for Stevenson and I later learned that Lewis had turned an ankle. Killie seemed more fired up now but found Hibs a tough nut to crack with the back four defending well and the midfield adding another barrier to Killie’s forward play. Marciano was well protected and had a pretty easy afternoon of it. The hosts flung numerous crosses into our box but Hanlon and Porteous reigned in the aerial battles.

At the other end, Doidge and Mallan had efforts charged down and Nisbet dallied a little allowing his effort to be blocked. In fact, blocking was becoming the norm at both ends and when a good opening arose, Paul McGinn screwed his effort well wide of the target. A counterattack from Hibs saw them working a 4 v 2 but Nisbet’s attempt to set Doidge free was spoiled by the pass arriving straight at the centre forward rather than in front of him.

Killie made a couple of changes, but the new arrivals didn’t really help Killie to take the match to Hibs. Instead Doig won the ball and played it down the line where Doidge, marked by two defenders deftly slipped a pass to Mallan who strode towards goal and with defenders backing off his shot went wide of the post. It had been a great chance to double the lead, but Stevie chose the wrong option in my opinion as he should have gone for the far corner rather than trying to beat Rogers at his near post.

The clock ticked on as Killie struggled to offer any sort of threat to the Hibs goal whilst the visitors were happy to retain possession and try to catch Killie on the break. On one occasion the roles were reversed as Killie looked to break free, but Stevie Mallan upended an opponent to stop play, earning himself a yellow in the process.

With around ten minutes left, Magennis replaced Mallan; Jack Ross clearly looking to bolster his defence of the lead. Kyle wasn’t really involved in anything of great note.

At the end of the day it was three points both earned and deserved. Yes, the penalty may have been soft, but we’ve missed out on a few and so maybe the old cliché of these decisions evening their way out could come into play.

The players

Marciano – Rocky was never troubled at any point and I can recall only one save he had to make.

McGinn – Paul was as solid as ever though he did start the game a little slowly. His effort at goal was horrendous but then again, he was high enough up the park to take the shot.

Porteous – Big Ryan just gets better and better and even though he had one occasion when he took a fresh air kick at the ball, he was otherwise at his best today.

Hanlon – Contending with the tricky and very physical Kabamba I thought Paul was outstanding today. He really is at the top of his game just now and his efforts today win him my man of the match award.

Stevenson – I was surprised when Lewis was replaced at half time. He clearly won the battle in the first half against an in form Chris Burke and proved once more just what a good defender he is. Of course, I heard later that he’d turned his ankle, so I hope he recovers for the semi final next week.

Boyle – Martin sometimes infuriates me and at other times he frustrates me. I didn’t feel he was at it enough today, but I guess he’s allowed an off day. Most of the time he impresses but today I was frustrated at how many times he was either caught on his heels or failed to anticipate a flick on. Still love the guy though!

Gogic – Another sterling display from Alex. It’s no coincidence that Killie posed no real threat because Gogic always seemed to be on hand to break up their play.

Newell – A close second to Paul for my man of the match award. He is so composed in possession, can pick a pass often with real quality and he displayed again today a side of his game that is rarely talked about – aggression. He’s never afraid to mix it up and for me that’s a big plus point.

Mallan – As I watched the game and saw the odd pass go astray or a runner getting away from Stevie, I envisaged the match thread being populated by negative views on his performance. Of course, all opinions are valid but for my money I thought he had a good game today with a couple of very impressive passes to set team mates free. I just wish his effort on goal had gone in but as I said I felt he chose the wrong option.

Doidge – Big Christian is going through one of those phases in his game where the goals dry up. He didn’t get many chances today and those that did fall to him seemed to be blocked from getting through on goal. I’ve watched the penalty incident a couple of times and I’m not convinced but there did seem to be a little contact before he went over in the box.

Nisbet – A frustrating day for Kevin, with a couple of poor choices decision wise but there were also a couple of moments when I could only marvel at his touch under pressure. I was also impressed with his goal line clearance. His penalty was well struck, and I doubt Rogers would have saved it even if he dived the right way.

Doig - It was good to see the young lad back again and I don’t think he did anything wrong by keeping the lid on Burke ala Lewis in the first half.

Magennis – Due to the horrendous buffering problem I didn’t even know he’d come on to the park in place of Nisbet. He was part of the team that comfortably saw out the remainder of the match.

Hallberg – Melker replaced Stevie Mallan as the clock was running down and offered some fine play in a forward position when, right at the death he was unlucky to see a looping header fly past the far post.

Jack Ross – Obviously, he was delighted and now he’ll turn his attention to the massive game next Saturday.

Referee Colin Steven didn’t have the best of games in my opinion. Too many needless stoppages for my liking.
    Dikamona wasn’t sent off due to the newer “double jeopardy rule”. So, as long it’s it’s deemed he was trying to play the ball, then they won’t give a penalty and send him off. So if the foul was a few inches further back and a free kick was given, then he would’ve sent him off I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Dikamona wasn’t sent off due to the newer “double jeopardy rule”. So, as long it’s it’s deemed he was trying to play the ball, then they won’t give a penalty and send him off. So if the foul was a few inches further back and a free kick was given, then he would’ve sent him off I expect.

Thanks for clearing that up, Callum ✅
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Same reason Paul McGinn wasn’t sent off against Hamilton in the 3-2 game for the pen they missed I think.

That was a very good result make no mistake. Killie on great form and on that plastic pitch. Arguably the 4th most difficult away trip in the league. Excellent result and we played some good stuff.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Same reason Paul McGinn wasn’t sent off against Hamilton in the 3-2 game for the pen they missed I think.
    Actually think Paul was lucky to avoid a red in that game as he made no attempt to play the ball.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Actually think Paul was lucky to avoid a red in that game as he made no attempt to play the ball.
    Yeah that was probably a red as well as a penalty.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar

If its a penalty, it's not a red, been that way for a couple of years.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    If its a penalty, it's not a red, been that way for a couple of years.
    Not the case. If they feel there was no attempt to win the ball they can send off as well as give a pen

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Agree