hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 24102020)

As if it’s not frustrating enough to have to watch a game on TV, that frustration multiplied this afternoon with the Killie TV offering falling well short of being acceptable. The amount of buffering was beyond a joke and made following the flow of the play nigh on impossible. With that in mind I apologise in advance if I miss any key moments that may have occurred as the site buffered.

Last week we played pretty well and should have earned more than a single point against Ross County. This week, from what I could make out we didn’t play quite so well but importantly we got the three points. Over the piece I felt Hibs were the better side and so perhaps justice was done.

Only one change was made from the team that started against Ross County with Stevie Mallan preferred to Kyle Magennis in midfield, the latter having been included in the subs.

Hibs were quick out of the blocks and a left footed drive from Newell swerved late and just past the post. At the other end, Rossi might have done better with a headed attempt, but the effort flew well wide of Marciano’s post. As usual the surface wasn’t doing anyone any favours and just when it looked as though a Mallan pass was going to let Boyle in behind the defence the ball held up and allowed Waters to clear. Boyle did get in on one occasion but a poor second touch saw the ball roll harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

With the half hour approaching, Dikamona misjudged the flight of the ball, allowing it drop over his head. Just as the Killie man went to clear the ball, Doidge got a touch and then fell in the area. After a few seconds, the referee pointed to the spot. I’ll be honest, when the tackle happened, I shouted for a penalty but when I saw the incident in replay, I have to admit it was soft. Kevin Nisbet wasn’t bothered by any of that as he sent Rogers the wrong way to put Hibs 1-0 up. Interestingly the referee only yellow carded the Killie man, unlike the incident last week when the ref showed a red. I get easily confused with the rule these days but despite there being a huge difference in where the offence occurred, I don’t see them as being that much different.

With half time approaching, Dikamona rose to challenge for a header and as he landed his right ankle gave way under him and after lengthy treatment, he had to leave the pitch on a stretcher. I confess to feeling sorry for the lad and I can’t help but feel the pitch played a part because on grass the landing would have been more cushioned. As it was it must have been like landing on concrete.

Soon after that, Alan Power was booked for a cynical foul on Boyle and it was amusing to hear the
    Killie commentator describe the yellow as harsh.

Up to this point I felt Hibs were pretty much in control of the midfield with Newell pinging several good passes as did Mallan whilst Gogic did what Gogic does in breaking up the Killie flow of play.

The second half began with Doig on for Stevenson and I later learned that Lewis had turned an ankle. Killie seemed more fired up now but found Hibs a tough nut to crack with the back four defending well and the midfield adding another barrier to Killie’s forward play. Marciano was well protected and had a pretty easy afternoon of it. The hosts flung numerous crosses into our box but Hanlon and Porteous reigned in the aerial battles.

At the other end, Doidge and Mallan had efforts charged down and Nisbet dallied a little allowing his effort to be blocked. In fact, blocking was becoming the norm at both ends and when a good opening arose, Paul McGinn screwed his effort well wide of the target. A counterattack from Hibs saw them working a 4 v 2 but Nisbet’s attempt to set Doidge free was spoiled by the pass arriving straight at the centre forward rather than in front of him.

Killie made a couple of changes, but the new arrivals didn’t really help Killie to take the match to Hibs. Instead Doig won the ball and played it down the line where Doidge, marked by two defenders deftly slipped a pass to Mallan who strode towards goal and with defenders backing off his shot went wide of the post. It had been a great chance to double the lead, but Stevie chose the wrong option in my opinion as he should have gone for the far corner rather than trying to beat Rogers at his near post.

The clock ticked on as Killie struggled to offer any sort of threat to the Hibs goal whilst the visitors were happy to retain possession and try to catch Killie on the break. On one occasion the roles were reversed as Killie looked to break free, but Stevie Mallan upended an opponent to stop play, earning himself a yellow in the process.

With around ten minutes left, Magennis replaced Mallan; Jack Ross clearly looking to bolster his defence of the lead. Kyle wasn’t really involved in anything of great note.

At the end of the day it was three points both earned and deserved. Yes, the penalty may have been soft, but we’ve missed out on a few and so maybe the old cliché of these decisions evening their way out could come into play.

The players

Marciano – Rocky was never troubled at any point and I can recall only one save he had to make.

McGinn – Paul was as solid as ever though he did start the game a little slowly. His effort at goal was horrendous but then again, he was high enough up the park to take the shot.

Porteous – Big Ryan just gets better and better and even though he had one occasion when he took a fresh air kick at the ball, he was otherwise at his best today.

Hanlon – Contending with the tricky and very physical Kabamba I thought Paul was outstanding today. He really is at the top of his game just now and his efforts today win him my man of the match award.

Stevenson – I was surprised when Lewis was replaced at half time. He clearly won the battle in the first half against an in form Chris Burke and proved once more just what a good defender he is. Of course, I heard later that he’d turned his ankle, so I hope he recovers for the semi final next week.

Boyle – Martin sometimes infuriates me and at other times he frustrates me. I didn’t feel he was at it enough today, but I guess he’s allowed an off day. Most of the time he impresses but today I was frustrated at how many times he was either caught on his heels or failed to anticipate a flick on. Still love the guy though!

Gogic – Another sterling display from Alex. It’s no coincidence that Killie posed no real threat because Gogic always seemed to be on hand to break up their play.

Newell – A close second to Paul for my man of the match award. He is so composed in possession, can pick a pass often with real quality and he displayed again today a side of his game that is rarely talked about – aggression. He’s never afraid to mix it up and for me that’s a big plus point.

Mallan – As I watched the game and saw the odd pass go astray or a runner getting away from Stevie, I envisaged the match thread being populated by negative views on his performance. Of course, all opinions are valid but for my money I thought he had a good game today with a couple of very impressive passes to set team mates free. I just wish his effort on goal had gone in but as I said I felt he chose the wrong option.

Doidge – Big Christian is going through one of those phases in his game where the goals dry up. He didn’t get many chances today and those that did fall to him seemed to be blocked from getting through on goal. I’ve watched the penalty incident a couple of times and I’m not convinced but there did seem to be a little contact before he went over in the box.

Nisbet – A frustrating day for Kevin, with a couple of poor choices decision wise but there were also a couple of moments when I could only marvel at his touch under pressure. I was also impressed with his goal line clearance. His penalty was well struck, and I doubt Rogers would have saved it even if he dived the right way.

Doig - It was good to see the young lad back again and I don’t think he did anything wrong by keeping the lid on Burke ala Lewis in the first half.

Magennis – Due to the horrendous buffering problem I didn’t even know he’d come on to the park in place of Nisbet. He was part of the team that comfortably saw out the remainder of the match.

Hallberg – Melker replaced Stevie Mallan as the clock was running down and offered some fine play in a forward position when, right at the death he was unlucky to see a looping header fly past the far post.

Jack Ross – Obviously, he was delighted and now he’ll turn his attention to the massive game next Saturday.

Referee Colin Steven didn’t have the best of games in my opinion. Too many needless stoppages for my liking.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy!

Many thanks for posting

👍🏿

@hibs.net private member
    Great report again Jonnyboy..I had no issue with the Killie TV. No buffering. Sorry to hear you did.

Doidge whilst no scoring was one of our top performers for me ..worked hard, good runs , strong in the air ..fancy him to notch next week ..when he does he’ll go on another run ..

Thought it was a good very disciplined performance ..great 3 points

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Agree with that, great summary as always. In particular Paul Hanlon was immense yet again. If he’s had a better spell in all his time with us I’m struggling to recall it.

Thought Boyle had a real off day but I’m blaming the awful plastic pitch. Can’t wait to see him unleashed on the vast grassy open spaces at Hampden next week. After today he’ll be like a coiled spring about to pop. Very little chances created and nothing for Doidge and Nisbet to really get their teeth into. Great 3 points 👍 GGTTH

Thought Newell was different class.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great report again Jonnyboy..I had no issue with the Killie TV. No buffering. Sorry to hear you did.

Doidge whilst no scoring was one of our top performers for me ..worked hard, good runs , strong in the air ..fancy him to notch next week ..when he does he’ll go on another run ..

Thought it was a good very disciplined performance ..great 3 points
    I wouldn’t be overly critical of Doidge. His hard work won the penalty and that is what he’s all about. But, we do need more goal threat. He desperately needs a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Agree with that, great summary as always. In particular Paul Hanlon was immense yet again. If he’s had a better spell in all his time with us I’m struggling to recall it.
    Only time I can think of was second half of 17/18. Left of a back three, as it was then, is where he plays his best football IMO.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Only time I can think of was second half of 17/18. Left of a back three, as it was then, is where he plays his best football IMO.
    He did play well then, but this season he’s really stepping up as captain, driving forward with the ball when we need it. If there is a better central defender in Scotland on current form I can’t name him.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Thought Boyle had a real off day but I’m blaming the awful plastic pitch. Can’t wait to see him unleashed on the vast grassy open spaces at Hampden next week. After today he’ll be like a coiled spring about to pop. Very little chances created and nothing for Doidge and Nisbet to really get their teeth into. Great 3 points 👍 GGTTH

Thought Newell was different class.
    Aye Newell stood out for me as MoM. Has developed into a key player of class.
    Gogic is the sort of player the opposition must hate facing. Apart from one brain fart.
    Thought Mallan did well and good to see him sticking a foot in a few times to win challenges (and a yellow).
    Boyle must have had his period.

Blog Entries
    Very good report, as usual. Newell, for me, was man of the match.

Thanks Johnny Boy it is like waiting on the Pink News waiting on your match report 😁

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Great report as usual. Where are all the Hanlon doubters now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Yep, Joe was fantastic but Paul just pipped him for my man of the match ✅

I meant to mention Kev’s goal celebration. Anybody know what that was all about 😃
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Thanks Johnny Boy it is like waiting on the Pink News waiting on your match report 😁

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Much as last week with Charlie Cooke I’ve yet to understand how our man Gogic escaped a yellow today.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Great report. I was frustrated with Mallan today but I guess that awful pitch could make a fool of the best players.

Also. Good to see Scott Allan before kick off, standing on the sidelines with a cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Once again Paul Hanlon taken for granted MOTM by a mile !

@hibs.net private member

Thumbs Up

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I had no buffering. I note though that you must have been on the Home video and not the Away stream with Cliff Pike commentating.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I had no buffering. I note though that you must have been on the Home video and not the Away stream with Cliff Pike commentating.
    Flipped between them both but they were equally bad. Also lost sound for the last 20 minutes of the first half. Just my bad luck I guess 😁
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    My stream was almost perfect apart from a bit of buffering when we got our penalty. Luckily it was replayed about 5,000 times during the remainder of the coverage.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Agreed. Always look out for your match updates JB and your analysis is always accurate.

Martin Boyle's form has certainly dipped recently. He is the key to winning the semi next weekend. If he turns up he can destroy Hearts on his own. In fairness to Martin, I don't think we've fed him the ball enough in recent games. The big pitch at Hampden is the perfect stage for him.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Agreed. Always look out for your match updates JB and your analysis is always accurate.

Martin Boyle's form has certainly dipped recently. He is the key to winning the semi next weekend. If he turns up he can destroy Hearts on his own. In fairness to Martin, I don't think we've fed him the ball enough in recent games. The big pitch at Hampden is the perfect stage for him.
    The big pitch at Hampden is the same size as the big pitch at ER is it not?

Boyle has been off the boil for a few games now...hopefully he’ll find his spark next week big pitch or normal sized pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I had a perfect stream to watch the game but had to use the home commentary which did my head in! Every time a hibs player commited a foul the guy would shout out

"what a cynical foul that was" he just wanted to cause a bit of controversay but what blethers they all were together talking all over each other. I tried the away commentary but there was no picture so had to stick with the home guys. A great three points for the Hibs today on that dreadful pitch that had been soaked pre kick off. I wasnt sure if Lewis would play today but i knew that he wouldnt let us down if he did and he defo didnt. Hope his injury clears up for next week and he is able to play.

Seen Robbie Neilson in the stand hiding under a mountain of winter woolies, obviously spying for next weeks game. Ah well would rather have been there to watch in the crowd but like everyone else just have to get on with life the best we can.
    Last edited by Stantons Angel; 25-10-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: mis spelt name

Coaching Staff
    Good summary.

My Hibs TV live coverage, with Cliff and Tam was perfect, no buffering at all so no complaints with that.

I do wish we could change those 1AM kick offs though!

I thought there were several players worthy of MOM but I'll put a word in for Christian Doidge.

On a surface where effort was going to be of as much value as dainty footwork, I thought he ran himself into the ground for us, attacking when he could...eg the penalty and defending at their end stoutly.

He even had an Allenesque pass near the end.

All in all an excellent result.

Not many teams below us will return from Rugby Park with anything other than empty hands.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Now that’s how to take a penalty

Gave the goalie the ‘eyes’ and drilled it into the opposite corner like an Exocet

Even if the goalie went the correct way he is still no stopping that - sheer pace and power

Quality!

Yes many thanks. Although I would prefer to wait for the Green News of yesteryear.

Like Johnny boy I watched the match in fits and starts and the man of the match for me was the wee fellow who ran round in ever decreasing circles in the middle of a static park.

Good report.

As for the penalty, have seen it a few times and it looks soft, but I tend to go with the offenders instant reaction and it is 100% clear Dikamona realises and accepts its a penalty. If he didn't, he'd look shocked, annoyed or confused and he'd probably be all over ref or Doidge for diving. There was none of that. He know it was a pen.

The Killie manager didn't complain about the offence but instead claimed it was outside the box, so no penalty. TV shows confirmed it was inside the box.

I thought Paul was just more consistent. Joe had a great game when he was involved. Gogic was fantastic also. We take for granted what an influence that type of players has in the middle of the park.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John, I haven't seen whole game yet but it looked like we did an "Aberdeen" on them. The penalties were very similar to our earlier defeat this season, a home player being robbed of the ball & then the defender inadvertently catching the attacker. After that, sit in, look comfortable & try & catch the home team on the break. Not sure I'd like to see that every week but it's a great result at a tough venue with an awful pitch.