hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Killie pitch

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Killie pitch

I know it’s been done to death but how can the authorities look at that game today and say that pitch is acceptable? I know plastic pitches are here to stay, but there has to be some regulation agreed about their use. It was virtually impossible to dribble the ball today and that’s down to how the pitch is prepared. They leave it dry so the bounce and roll of the ball is inconsistent and ironically it may have contributed to one of their players suffering a serious injury. The league needs to act on this as it’s an unfair advantage.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Did you see the pre match build up? They had sprinklers watering the pitch right up to the teams came out.

Can fully understand why clubs would want an artificial pitch but they are poor. Leave them to the lower leagues

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you see the pre match build up? They had sprinklers watering the pitch right up to the teams came out.
    I didn’t. If that’s the case they should be made to put a new pitch down. It was laughable at times.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    If you can’t afford to maintain a proper grass pitch, then maybe top flight football’s not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I didn’t. If that’s the case they should be made to put a new pitch down. It was laughable at times.
    I do agree it's a crap surface though.

Coaching Staff
    It's a disgrace that any top flight club has artificial surfaces in Scotland. Time for the SFA and SPFL to make a ruling and have grass pitches (only) in the top league I'm not buying the 'some clubs rent out pitches to make money' argument - that's a local authority issue which local (top tier) clubs can contribute to if necessary.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I know it’s been done to death but how can the authorities look at that game today and say that pitch is acceptable? I know plastic pitches are here to stay, but there has to be some regulation agreed about their use. It was virtually impossible to dribble the ball today and that’s down to how the pitch is prepared. They leave it dry so the bounce and roll of the ball is inconsistent and ironically it may have contributed to one of their players suffering a serious injury. The league needs to act on this as it’s an unfair advantage.
    I was shouted down about the state of the pitches in the league cup matches. I full understand why its done, and its maybe acceptable for the early league cup rounds - but in the Premiership they have to be grass pitches.

While we thumped Livi, the teams that play and train on the same surface definitely have an advantage and some of them have admirable home records - wonder why?

As for the Killie pitch, I said the exact same today - even after we got in the lead, the bounce off that pitch is so inconsistent and miles away from a grass surface.

No idea about the injury stats, but just for playability they should be forced to have grass.

n.b. I thought they were digging up that hockey pitch ahead of this season?????

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I was shouted down about the state of the pitches in the league cup matches. I full understand why its done, and its maybe acceptable for the early league cup rounds - but in the Premiership they have to be grass pitches.

While we thumped Livi, the teams that play and train on the same surface definitely have an advantage and some of them have admirable home records - wonder why?

As for the Killie pitch, I said the exact same today - even after we got in the lead, the bounce off that pitch is so inconsistent and miles away from a grass surface.

No idea about the injury stats, but just for playability they should be forced to have grass.

n.b. I thought they were digging up that hockey pitch ahead of this season?????
    I understand why some lower league clubs have these pitches, they are community clubs that need to make money to stay afloat and they need to give something back to the community they represent. If they’re to stay in the top flight there needs to be some kind standard set about their use. They should be a good standard and consistent. Personally I’d get rid of them all.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The pitch is terrible, it actually spoils the game because the bounce of the ball is unpredictable and you see players who would usually control or head the ball instinctively having to really adjust what they’re doing.

Every time the ball is dropping, it’s a lottery where it will go.

Even without considering the impact on injuries, that’s a good enough reason to empty them.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff
    I understand why some lower league clubs have these pitches, they are community clubs that need to make money to stay afloat and they need to give something back to the community they represent. If they’re to stay in the top flight there needs to be some kind standard set about their use. They should be a good standard and consistent. Personally I’d get rid of them all.
    Many community clubs are owned or funded by very rich people, even in the lower leagues. Many of these wealthy people can easily co-fund astro pitches - and in turn, receive money for their rentals - in their local community - and afford to have a grass pitch for their primary club.

For a top league to have so many artificial surfaces is a disgrace in my opinion. The cynic in me thinks those that do keep them as it's the only advantage they have at times.

Pitch is shocking like a few others it just aint grass, no matter what way you spin it, the teams playing on any other surface other than grass, should be kicked oot.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    They should be made to rip it up because they watered it? As I understand it’s best when wet as the ball tends to stick otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    They should be made to rip it up because they watered it? As I understand it’s best when wet as the ball tends to stick otherwise.
    No, if that’s it been watered and the best they can make it, and it’s still as bad as it was today then they should be made to replace it. These pitches are designed to be as close to a grass pitch as possible. That pitch is a million miles from a grass pitch.

United we stand here....

No, if that’s it been watered and the best they can make it, and it’s still as bad as it was today then they should be made to replace it. These pitches are designed to be as close to a grass pitch as possible. That pitch is a million miles from a grass pitch.
    It’s the same as any Astro, can water it as much as you like but it’ll always dry out within minutes. Piss poor.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    They are anti-football. The most entertaining players are usually the poorest performers on the surface and there has never been a great game played out on them. Can`t think of one.

Im actually surprised Hearts never got one as it would be right up their street.

Ban them in the top flight. It really needs to happen.

Grass pitches should be a prerequisite for attaining Premiership status, even if the SPFL needs to help subsidise the conversion.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 24-10-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    If you can’t afford to maintain a proper grass pitch, then maybe top flight football’s not for you.
    I agree. It cheapens our game. Shouldn’t be allowed in the top two leagues.

Also, not much will be made of the injury to Dikamona, but I’m fairly sure the surface doesn’t help him. No give at all which results in his studs planting and twisting. Of course you see that in grass pitches as well, but you are far more likely to get away with that on grass, with more give. There must be a far higher % of serious knee/leg/ankle injuries per Astro pitch than there is per grass pitch.

I'm no great fan of English football but it's the 25th anniversary of plastic pitches being banned for all 92 clubs.
    They certainly got that one right.

All the clichés, antii football, injury inducing, hated by players, can be attributed to artificial pitches,..... (and hertz)

Can we not just start a plastic pitch mega thread? Theres 3 teams in the league with them and a new thread pops up after each games against them saying everything that's been said before

@hibs.net private member
    They should be banned from top flight football. Strange bounces , difficult to stay on your feet and some serious injuries . Very rarely get a good game to watch on them. Players don't like them , fans don't like them time for the clubs to take action.
    Strangely we have won all 4 games on them this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    This 100%

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Many moons ago I was seen by a physio who worked with the Scottish Women’s team and I asked him about this link between injuries and plastic pitches it was before a report and vote on them by the SFA. He said there was and we agree or that due to the financial aspect the use usage would like be approved and would you credit it - the continued use Was approved...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Dikamona’s injury was caused in part by the pitch today.... on a normal grass pitch his studs may have cut through the turf a little easier as he lands but instead they seem to dig into the surface and in turn his leg gets stuck under him as he lands.

It looked to me like he has over stretched either hi Achilles or his knee... both of which could be very serious.

It’s time these pitches were cast out of the top flight or out of the game altogether.