hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked Newell from day one. I also think that he’s become more consistent when he’s had Gogic behind him to do the dirty work.
    I certainly didn’t. I was at Stirling Albion’s ground for the opening league cup tie and I couldn’t believe how poor he was (along with a lot of other Hibs fans on the day). I couldn’t believe we had signed such a dud - along with one one or two others that day - Tom James springs to mind.
    I would gladly have punted both in their first six months at the club.
    Just shows how wrong you can be. A proper manager arrives at the club, recognises what the player is capable of if allowed to play to his strengths and is property motivated. Now he is one of the first picks on the team sheet and deservedly so.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I've always been a fan. Hopefully we can hold on to him. The more he excels the more a English team will try and come in for him.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    First name on the team sheet this season.

Always been a fan and would be delighted if he signed a new contract.

@hibs.net private member
    One of the most important players in this squad. My opinion of him changed when he came on at half time against Hamilton in the midweek 2-1 game last season, felt he changed the game for us and showed a lot of dig when he came on. Would love him to sign an extension but I have a feeling he won’t.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    One of the most important players in this squad. My opinion of him changed when he came on at half time against Hamilton in the midweek 2-1 game last season, felt he changed the game for us and showed a lot of dig when he came on. Would love him to sign an extension but I have a feeling he won’t.
    I think he’ll leave as well. Just a hunch.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think he’ll leave as well. Just a hunch.
    Not so sure. He looks very happy with life - on the park at least - with a squad that is gelling. No knowledge of his situation off the park eg if he has family and if they are settled/unsettled.
    He has def put himself in a better position in the shop window but if he keeps playing as he is for the full season he could be in the front row of the SPL shop window and more in demand. So here's hoping he signs an extension, even for one year so we can let him go at the end of 20-21 for a wee profit.
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 27-10-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1620 View Post
    I certainly didn’t. I was at Stirling Albion’s ground for the opening league cup tie and I couldn’t believe how poor he was (along with a lot of other Hibs fans on the day). I couldn’t believe we had signed such a dud - along with one one or two others that day - Tom James springs to mind.
    I would gladly have punted both in their first six months at the club.
    Just shows how wrong you can be. A proper manager arrives at the club, recognises what the player is capable of if allowed to play to his strengths and is property motivated. Now he is one of the first picks on the team sheet and deservedly so.
    You’ll remember from that game that he was being played in an advanced role, almost like a false #9. A few weeks later he’s playing wide, also ineffective. I don’t know where he played for most of his career but it’s clear that at Hibs he’s a central midfielder, that what he is, and pissing about with him as some sort of Swiss Army knife utility role was why he looked like a ‘dud’, as you say.

Once Scott Allan stopped being part of the picture and Gogic arrived, Newell became the player he was supposed to be.

The lad is really enjoying his football at the moment. He'll love it on the big stage at Hampden. We really missed him back in March. Oozes quality.

I thought he was good on Saturday, not as brilliant as everyone else seemed to think. Except the last 10 minutes or so when he had a couple of brilliant bits of play;

Cut in from right and hit a shot
    Skill at corner flag with Boyle then cross to Hallberg
    Gliding past 2 players then reverse to Doidge who’s shot was blocked.

He can be a brilliant player in that role and he will be if he can dominate games for their entirety and really dominate against the better teams.

This Saturday is a massive game for him and we need him to dictate it from the off.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Bit of class we really need, has been excellent this season.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I see there’s a thread discussing Gogic, which I think there’s a constructive debate to be had. So thought Newell was as worthy of (another) constructive debate. I didn’t watch the game last night, but the general consensus was we were poor and not many got pass marks, individually or collectively.

Like the point I made on the Gogic thread, I don’t think playing Gogic & Newell as a 2 helps them as they aren’t good enough not to have another body in there against all but the poorer sides. That’s two big games in a week where we‘ve not won the midfield (although don’t think we lost it either against Hearts) and the second game this season against Aberdeen Newell has been subbed after an hour or so in an ineffective performance. I’m still waiting to see Newell grab a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck . I’ve seen a few folk make the point that Newell is good when things are going for well, but less so when things aren’t going well. I think that’s fair.

I think both Newell & Gogic have helped us improve, but need another body in with them against the better teams, and both need upgraded in the mid-long term if we’re to challenge for more than 4th and on a consistent basis IMO.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I see there’s a thread discussing Gogic, which I think there’s a constructive debate to be had. So thought Newell was as worthy of (another) constructive debate. I didn’t watch the game last night, but the general consensus was we were poor and not many got pass marks, individually or collectively.

Like the point I made on the Gogic thread, I don’t think playing Gogic & Newell as a 2 helps them as they aren’t good enough not to have another body in there against all but the poorer sides. That’s two big games in a week where we‘ve not won the midfield (although don’t think we lost it either against Hearts) and the second game this season against Aberdeen Newell has been subbed after an hour or so in an ineffective performance. I’m still waiting to see Newell grab a game that isn’t going our way by the scruff of the neck . I’ve seen a few folk make the point that Newell is good when things are going for well, but less so when things aren’t going well. I think that’s fair.

I think both Newell & Gogic have helped us improve, but need another body in with them against the better teams, and both need upgraded in the mid-long term if we’re to challenge for more than 4th and on a consistent basis IMO.
    He’s a frustrating player to watch, when he’s on it he looks a cracking player, but on occasions like last night he’s anonymous. He wasn’t any worse than anyone else, but we need players like him stepping up when the games not going our way and he didn’t do that. I wouldn’t be overly critical of him on last nights performance as apart from young Doig no one got pass marks.

United we stand here....

27/10 people want him long term deal. 10 days later he’s pish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    27/10 people want him long term deal. 10 days later he’s pish.
    I don’t think you’ve read today’s posts on this thread if that’s your take on it. Nonsense.

I agree we need to have three in the middle. I was hoping Magennis would be that guy but him not being available last night scuppered that.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    He plays far too deep for me.

We need creativity from the middle of the pitch. And Newell has shown he has that in him. But he's not going to do it from inside our own half.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He’s a frustrating player to watch, when he’s on it he looks a cracking player, but on occasions like last night he’s anonymous. He wasn’t any worse than anyone else, but we need players like him stepping up when the games not going our way and he didn’t do that. I wouldn’t be overly critical of him on last nights performance as apart from young Doig no one got pass marks.
    Reminds me a bit of Milligan in that he looks good against the “lesser” teams. Give him time and space he looks a player, close him down/put him under pressure and he invariably disappears.

@hibs.net private member
    There is definitely something missing in midfield. Drive. That has been readily identifiable in our good run as well as in the last couple of games.. Hopefully Magennis can provide that but its asking a lot of him.

Newell is a tidy player but goes missing in the bigger games. If we're going to play a flat 4 in midfield then we need someone with a more all round game than both Gogic and Newell. Both should work in a 3 with someone with a bit more dynamism.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Both Joe and Gogic need another player in beside them. Both them do not a lot with two wingers to the left and right and they can’t do their actual job. I don’t blame either of them.

I think Magennis would be the player to play in the 3 with Newell and Gogic.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    He plays far too deep for me.

We need creativity from the middle of the pitch. And Newell has shown he has that in him. But he's not going to do it from inside our own half.
    This, he's a square peg in a round hole when played deeper or on the wing.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

Well last week we were losing and he set up a goal and won a penalty. He also laid on some great passes, which Boyle in particular failed to capitalise on.

I agree through that against the better teams we need 3 in the middle. We need to sacrifice Murphy in those games IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We didnt have an idea on how to break them down. Only Boyle and Gullane managed to get behind them but they always had big numbers in their box and they r a physical bunch so wont be bossed in their box. Celtic got ahead with a special curler from edge of box Christie. We dont have that level of talent but thats what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    We didnt have an idea on how to break them down. Only Boyle and Gullane managed to get behind them but they always had big numbers in their box and they r a physical bunch so wont be bossed in their box. Celtic got ahead with a special curler from edge of box Christie. We dont have that level of talent but thats what it takes.
    I thought Jamie Gullan did well last night. I’d be tempted to give him a run of games to see if he can seize the opportunity. I like him on the left up front.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Both Joe and Gogic need another player in beside them. Both them do not a lot with two wingers to the left and right and they can’t do their actual job. I don’t blame either of them.
    Agree actually thought we shouldn't have taken Newell off on Friday, his set piece delivery wasn't great but he was at least trying to get on the ball and play. Think he has been very good this season.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I thought Jamie Gullan did well last night. I’d be tempted to give him a run of games to see if he can seize the opportunity. I like him on the left up front.
    I agree he should be used more. He seems to have Wright and Murphy ahead of him for that left spot and probs only got on bcos of Kevin coming off. So he had a role further up in attack than those other two. Still he is more likely to get in behind. So tweaks needed to get him involved. It might come down to him or Boyle to allow a mid of Magennis Gigic and Newell.

Jack Ross’s skill of being able to get kinda average players to play above themselves in most games is also his downfall as their kinda averageness gets laid bare every time they are tested against quality opposition.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Jack Ross’s skill of being able to get kinda average players to play above themselves in most games is also his downfall as their kinda averageness gets laid bare every time they are tested against quality opposition.

I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.
    There's no real superstars in the squad, they work well as a balanced unit in most games but come up short when we meet other well balanced units with more talented individuals within that unit.

Basically we're not as good as we think we are

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    Basically we're not as good as we think we are
    Doesn’t every teams fans do similar?

Look at the hearts fans thinking all they needed was that German piss heid to come in and take over and they had a top 4 team and squad. They ended up even ****ter and got relegated.