hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seeing as Newell has had such a turnaround in performances and won over so many doubters, what's the chances Hallberg might do the same?
    Hallberg is what he is. He's never going to be first choice but we'll need him throughout the season. We need players like him in the squad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Hallberg is what he is. He's never going to be first choice but we'll need him throughout the season. We need players like him in the squad.
    Agreed. Thought he was decent off the bench yesterday

I liked Newell from day one. I also think that he’s become more consistent when he’s had Gogic behind him to do the dirty work.

Before his injury at Killie last season I thought he had found his position at LB/LWB however it shows we he doesn’t play how much we actually miss him.

Gogic is the perfect foil for him.
    Hopefully turns on a show next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It’s an online football magazine. You need a subscription for it but the articles are very good.
    The Athletic seem to be hoovering up all the best sports writers, not sure if I like the way they are putting all this content I want to read behind a paywall. I suppose it’s the way it is these days

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I liked Newell from day one. I also think that he’s become more consistent when he’s had Gogic behind him to do the dirty work.
    Puts me in mind of Miller and McBride

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This 100%. For some there is no middle ground. A player is either an imposter who needs emptied or brilliant.

We need guys like Hallberg. I think he's a decent player and whilst he's not as good as Newell or Gogic, he's more than adequate cover.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’d say none unfortunately. He’s has had more than enough time and opportunities to work his way into the team but hasn’t taken any of those chances.

On Newell, he’s definitely changed my opinion and an important player now. Although I do think he needs to do more without the ball as we still don’t dominate the midfield as much as we should IMO, but we’re also still searching for that 3rd midfielder to compliment him & Gogic.
    We don’t dominate the midfield because we either give up a man when we go 442 (one of which is Gogic), and when we go with a three we have one player well up the park, Gogic who struggles with the ball and Newell.

@hibs.net private member
    The Athletic seem to be hoovering up all the best sports writers, not sure if I like the way they are putting all this content I want to read behind a paywall. I suppose it’s the way it is these days
    Sad how people, not necessarily you, are uncomfortable about having to pay for good writing. Doesn't happen to any other professions.

Me too.

I reckon he was very hot and cold under Hecky early on - I happened to be at his good games and didn’t recognise the player I’d seen with my own eyes as the one described on here.

I fully accept that he had a few shockers, they were just the games I wasn’t at, such as Ibrox.

He’s been good all this season, although whilst he doesn’t have shockers any more he has the odd quiet game (not for a few weeks now though).

He’ll be identified as the player who makes us tick next week and closed down very quickly.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Sad how people, not necessarily you, are uncomfortable about having to pay for good writing. Doesn't happen to any other professions.
    I think it's probably because people have become used to not paying for online content. If newspapers and magazines had used a paywall from day one then there would've been no problem

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

The Athletic are making an aggressive move to dominate sports reporting. I don’t like it.

You are right about the crisis facing journalism though - people just don’t want to pay for it and it’s making our world worse. Propaganda, disinformation and outright lies are running out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The Athletic are making an aggressive move to dominate sports reporting. I don’t like it.

You are right about the crisis facing journalism though - people just don’t want to pay for it and it’s making our world worse. Propaganda, disinformation and outright lies are running out of control.
    Tom English?

Will never forget the Ross County game in October when Hecky played him out on the left, the pelters he got from the east but to be fair Joe didn't excatly look like he bothered that day but so happy Joe has turned it around when played in his preferred position.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    I think it's probably because people have become used to not paying for online content. If newspapers and magazines had used a paywall from day one then there would've been no problem
    Agreed

Don't think I've seen a player turn around the opinion of him so drastically as Joe Newell has managed. He was hopeless in his first 6 months out at left wing and if he had left in January I don't think anyone would have cared, then when Jack Ross popped him into CM he's been a totally different player.

When he's on it he is a fantastic player and thankfully this season he's been on it more often than not.

That’s a fair point. It’s maybe more that the Athletic seems to be ubiquitous at the moment that is worrying me, that all the good content is being monopolised in one place.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Following Mattys note I looked it up as I’d never heard of it. £1 per month subscription for a six month introduction.
    I buy hard copies of things like Mundial and Nutmeg. Is a paywall such a bad thing at that price?

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Thought it was his best game yet. Played extremely well!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Tom English?

Yeah fair comment, but this is part of the problem imo. Tom English wants to say controversial things and burnish his brand online, rather than taking a sober assessment.

EDIT: sorry for dragging us off topic. Newell is a baller and I like him. I do wonder if we should be moving to a 4-3-3, with Boyle wide right and Nisbet either central or wide left. We could then accommodate Newell, Gogic plus one more in midfield.
    Last edited by jacomo; 25-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Following Mattys note I looked it up as I’d never heard of it. £1 per month subscription for a six month introduction.
    I buy hard copies of things like Mundial and Nutmeg. Is a paywall such a bad thing at that price?
    It was like £8 a month until they introduced that introductory rate, which I wasn’t willing to pay on top of all the other media stuff I buy. But I probably worded it wrong, it’s the monopoly of talent that yanks my chain, not the price.

Sorry for hijack

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yeah fair comment, but this is part of the problem imo. Tom English wants to say controversial things and burnish his brand online, rather than taking a sober assessment.

EDIT: sorry for dragging us off topic. Newell is a baller and I like him. I do wonder if we should be moving to a 4-3-3, with Boyle wide right and Nisbet either central or wide left. We could then accommodate Newell, Gogic plus one more in midfield.
    433 is what I'd like to see tried with Magennis tried alkng with Newell and Gogic in the middle 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The thing is, Newall was judged immediately, on about 3 games, as being gash. He actually was never anywhere near as bad as folk said. He actually had some decent games under Hecky. Hallberg has actually played more games than Newall and has shown much less.

That's a fair assessment.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    433 is what I'd like to see tried with Magennis tried alkng with Newell and Gogic in the middle 3 and Boyle and Murphy on either side of Nisbet.
    I don’t think we really play that well in a 4-3-3 formation. Would rather go 3-5-2, win the midfield battle and play from there.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    I don’t think we really play that well in a 4-3-3 formation. Would rather go 3-5-2, win the midfield battle and play from there.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Be interesting to know if he has been offered a new deal.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Newell is pure class.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I think understanding is that as a subscriber / reader of free stuff, you are the product - your continued readership is sold in the form of advertising - and boy to they not bombard you with wall-to-wall advertising.

All this is not helped when globally, the media companies tend to be controlled by rich owners with an agenda.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I think understanding is that as a subscriber / reader of free stuff, you are the product - your continued readership is sold in the form of advertising - and boy to they not bombard you with wall-to-wall advertising.

All this is not helped when globally, the media companies tend to be controlled by rich owners with an agenda.
    Even when you subscribe to a site or buy something, your details are likely to be sold on at some point in any case.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Even when you subscribe to a site or buy something, your details are likely to be sold on at some point in any case.
    Yup it’s a racket.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.