hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yip. I'm sure the staff at ER are totally unaware and sitting on their hands doing nothing right enough. Is there anything of relevance that you want to criticise?
    Offt... strange reply to a factually relevant post.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Superb today, never set a foot wrong. Probably the only player that didn’t seem to struggle with the surface at some point.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Glided across the pitch today. A lovely footballer when he’s on song.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    There’s an article in The Athletic with an interview with Porteous, and one quote from him about the standard of training under Jack Ross, was that Newell of the best trainer and is on it every day.

You can see that in Newell’s performances now, he’s been terrific.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    I’ve never been his biggest fan but I watched the second half today and he was easily our best player.

Few silky skills and beat a few men.
    Agree about the second half. Was very, very good in the last 20 minutes. Could have about seen the game out himself.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    He had a fantastic game today.......3y deal please 👍

I think he turned his clock back last night, vision ,awareness, time.
    Streets ahead of anyone on the pitch today.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Fantastic player

Mind blowing Hecky played him as a winger even though he said he didn't see himself as a winger

He's been excellent all season imo, but I wonder if the signing of Magennis has really spurred him on to show what he can do in that midfield.

Maybe all the fan fare about KM, and the long term nature of the deal has made Joe want to show the club how much of a valuable player he is

Excellent today. Nice and calm in possession and driving us forward 👍

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    There’s an article in The Athletic with an interview with Porteous, and one quote from him about the standard of training under Jack Ross, was that Newell of the best trainer and is on it every day.

I remember a player making the point about Newell in training quite early last season. At that point he was a bit of a joke figure and it was interesting to hear someone (iirc someone who would have the respect of the fans) saying they just couldn’t get the ball off him.

He was superb today and is one of our most important players. When he plays well we tend to pick up results. Hearts will boot the absolute F*** out of him for the first 20 minutes or so next week.

@hibs.net private member
    Need to get him tied down on a new deal stat

He's one of the few players we have in our side who will take the ball under pressure, keep it and then try to drive forward with it to make something happen.

Far too many players these days seem content to receive the ball, take one or two touches whilst remaining static and then picking a sideways pass. 11 of them in a side and you're screwed.

Newell has really grown on me over the last year, when he plays well we tend to get results. Good player and seems a real genuine lad, hopefully we get him tied down for longer!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    He is a tidy footballer and reminds me very much of Ally McLeod. Slimmer but seems to have the same nous. I like him and opponents seem to dislike him which is a good thing.

What’s The Athletic?

I've given him a fair bit of stick on here in the past and at times it has felt justified but he's clearly a very gifted footballer when he's on it. If he played at the top of his game every week he probably would stil be doen south.

It's the consistency that lets him down usually but for the most part this season he's had more good games than bad. I'd like to see him notch a few more goals too.

Guys been class credit where it’s due even from those fans who made their mind up nearly doors and still say I’m no convinced.

For me the manager nailed it he needs to keep on at him to deliver the consistency we need, yet another example of having a manager who actually sees what most fans do

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    What’s The Athletic?
    It’s an online football magazine. You need a subscription for it but the articles are very good.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    Yesterday is probably the best game I've seen play for us , hopefully moves will be going on behind the scenes to get him tied down on a new deal . I'd hate to see him leave for free especially if he was to go to one of our rivals

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    After our Ibrox embarrassment last year I honestly thought he would never make it with us and was an awful signing.

Huge credit to him for turning it around. And to Jack Ross for giving him half a chance to show his best football.

Just another example of how utterly clueless Hecky was.

He’s an excellent player and one I hope we get on another deal. He won’t also be as good as yesterday but I’ve no problem with that. A very good footballer and exactly the level of player we need.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The guy has really turned his Hibs career around. I have had my doubts about him, but playing in a much more balanced midfield has really helped him shine. He’s got to be signed up on a long term deal, having become a pivotal figure in the side.

It’s an online football magazine. You need a subscription for it but the articles are very good.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    Struggling to think of a player that’s turned it around as much as Joe Newell has in terms of first impressions after arriving at the club. Absolutely fantastic player, just need to hope we can get a contract extension agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To look back and think that after a few months at the club so many, including yours truly, filed him alongside Vela and James as another anonymous lower league non-entity. Now his improvement seems to be exponential each week!

Seeing as Newell has had such a turnaround in performances and won over so many doubters, what's the chances Hallberg might do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Seeing as Newell has had such a turnaround in performances and won over so many doubters, what's the chances Hallberg might do the same?
    The thing is, Newall was judged immediately, on about 3 games, as being gash. He actually was never anywhere near as bad as folk said. He actually had some decent games under Hecky. Hallberg has actually played more games than Newall and has shown much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Superb today, never set a foot wrong. Probably the only player that didn’t seem to struggle with the surface at some point.
    Im sure when he first came to us under PH he got a MoM plying on a plastic pitch, cant remember what game though perhaps somebody on here can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The thing is, Newall was judged immediately, on about 3 games, as being gash. He actually was never anywhere near as bad as folk said. He actually had some decent games under Hecky. Hallberg has actually played more games than Newall and has shown much less.
    Yeah I agree, Hallberg would have done something by now if he was going to be any good.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I’d say none unfortunately. He’s has had more than enough time and opportunities to work his way into the team but hasn’t taken any of those chances.

On Newell, he’s definitely changed my opinion and an important player now. Although I do think he needs to do more without the ball as we still don’t dominate the midfield as much as we should IMO, but we’re also still searching for that 3rd midfielder to compliment him & Gogic.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 25-10-2020 at 08:41 AM.