hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let’s not worry about if Lewis is fit or not , remember there was a semi not that long ago where we were desperate to have our first choice goalie ... and we know how that went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't think what game you are on about. 😁 Any clues.

2. Log in to remove the advert

More than comfortable with Doig playing in the semi.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    More than comfortable with Doig playing in the semi.
    Not sure why. Great prospect but nowhere near as good at defending as Lewis. Was worried every time they attacked down that side after Stevenson went off.

In a derby environment, I worry about Doig starting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Not sure why. Great prospect but nowhere near as good at defending as Lewis. Was worried every time they attacked down that side after Stevenson went off.

Doig needs to experience the big games. He has the ability just needs the experience. He's the future.
    Last edited by Since452; 24-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Doig needs to experience the big games. He has the ability just needs the experience.
    Plenty big games to experience in a league environment. Old firm and Aberdeen home and away x2.

Would be starting Stevenson every time in a derby. Be weaker if he can't start. Genuinely worried about them targeting Doig.

Plenty big games to experience in a league environment. Old firm and Aberdeen home and away x2.

Would be starting Stevenson every time in a derby. Be weaker if he can't start. Genuinely worried about them targeting Doig.
    We haven’t been weaker with Doig for most of the season though. Big part of our improvement.

It's not going to be a Derby environment though.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    It's not going to be a Derby environment though.
    It's a derby though. Fans or no fans, it's a derby. And I'd prefer Stevenson over Doig for that game.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We haven’t been weaker with Doig for most of the season though. Big part of our improvement.
    I think Doig has a lot of potential. But there's no way he should start over Stevenson in the big games right now when both are available (which might not be the case in the semi right enough)

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We've only conceded 5 goals against teams that are not Celtic and Rangers. How many of them are from open play?

I don't think you can say as we have not conceded from open play with him the team we are not weaker defensively. I think it's fairly clear he is weaker than Stevenson defensively at the moment.
    According to my good man Brooster, it’s only one goal and that was an OG from Porteous.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

No wonder we have struggled to develop players recently when we're absolutely terrified to play a really good prospect against a championship side. If we're going to lose to Hearts it won't be doigs fault. It will be the teams fault.

Hearts would not be terrified of playing a promising young player. Doig has played well against better players than Hearts have. If Lewis isn't fit, Josh will do just fine.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No wonder we have struggled to develop players recently when we're absolutely terrified to play a really good prospect against a championship side. If we're going to lose to Hearts it won't be doigs fault. It will be the teams fault.

Hearts would not be terrified of playing a promising young player. Doig has played well against better players than Hearts have. If Lewis isn't fit, Josh will do just fine.
    Play good prospects when they're ready to be played.

Personally think it's way too early for Doig to be a regular starter in our team. Isn't good enough defensively or positinally.

Personally think it's way too early for Doig to be a regular starter in our team. Isn't good enough defensively or positinally.
    He’s been a big part of the best performing Hibs team, league wise, for a long time. We must be better than I thought, if we’ve been a man down all that time.

Not good enough defensively. What about our defensive record?

Lewis has been fit all season and Ross still went with Doig. He obviously believes him ready.

It's definitely not way too early considering how well he has done in most games.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

I agree with this post entirely.

A lot of posts are about what Hearts are going to do to Doig and not about what Doig can offer us.

We should have a bit more faith in our player.

Gamer IDs

He’s been a big part of the best performing Hibs team, league wise, for a long time. We must be better than I thought, if we’ve been a man down all that time.

Not good enough defensively. What about our defensive record?
    Doig is a fantastic prospect. And I'd never say we're a man down when he's on. That would be a ridiculous statement.

But teams definitely target him, and he gets beat a lot more than Stevenson does. Which is to be expected for his age and experience. Which is exactly my point. Stevenson is still out best left back. And should start when available.

But teams definitely target him
    Aye, but how’s it went for them?

Gamer IDs

Aye, but how’s it went for them?
    Just cause we haven't conceded after a defender is beat doesn't take away from the fact they've got by him.

Just cause we haven't conceded after a defender is beat doesn't take away from the fact they've got by him.
    So no very well then?

I think it’s worth remembering why Doig started the season in the team.

Gamer IDs

So no very well then?

Might also be worth remembering why Stevenson was brought back in to start. Doig was fully fit at the time.

@hibs.net private member
    Hopefully Stevenson ok but would go with Doig.
    Stevenson is fine against the Old Firm when you are on the back foot but teams are quite happy to see him on the ball as usually he goes inside or back to Hanlon.
    Doig likes to get forward and I would like us pushing forward as much as we can next week let them worry about us.
    There winger pulled up with nobody near him so unlikely to be fit even if he is let him worry about stopping Doig

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Doig is a fantastic prospect. And I'd never say we're a man down when he's on. That would be a ridiculous statement.

But teams definitely target him, and he gets beat a lot more than Stevenson does. Which is to be expected for his age and experience. Which is exactly my point. Stevenson is still out best left back. And should start when available.
    In the last derby Hearts targeted Stevenson. They overloaded our right to nullify Boyle knowing Stevenson wouldn’t harm them offensively, and unfortunately it worked to perfection that might.

If teams have targeted Doig then it’s not been very effective and I’m happy for them to continue to do so. He did as well as Stevenson today up against one of the best wingers in the league in Burke. The team isn’t any weaker for Doig playing and the league table and goals against testifies to that. Would prefer Doig’s energy and drive but won’t lose any sleep as to whichever of the two play next week.

So no very well then?

Apparently we've conceded 1 goal, an OG, from open play all season in the league outwith Celtic and Rangers. If true it kinda makes me your earlier point mute.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    In the last derby Hearts targeted Stevenson. They overloaded our right to nullify Boyle knowing Stevenson wouldn’t harm them offensively, and unfortunately it worked to perfection that might.

If teams have targeted Doig then it’s not been very effective and I’m happy for them to continue to do so. He did as well as Stevenson today up against one of the best wingers in the league in Burke. The team isn’t any weaker for Doig playing and the league table and goals against testifies to that. Would prefer Doig’s energy and drive but won’t lose any sleep as to whichever of the two play next week.
    The March game? When their goals came from a penalty and two attacks down our right? Unsure how that's targeting Stevenson.

Might also be worth remembering why Stevenson was brought back in to start. Doig was fully fit at the time.
    The main change, defensively this season, has been Doig replacing Stevenson. The others were

Given the improvement defensively, I totally disagree with the ‘Stevenson is better defensively’ view. That isn’t really the a criticism of Stevenson but I think anything else devalues the contribution of Doig.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Apparently we've conceded 1 goal, an OG, from open play all season in the league outwith Celtic and Rangers. If true it kinda makes me your earlier point mute.
    I’m no sure what you mean here. What point is mute?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I’m no sure what you mean here. What point is mute?
    Neither. It's moot😁

@hibs.net private member
    Lewis has been very god since his return. I hope he is fit and starts. If he isn't it is great to know we actually have a back up for a change. Doid looks a great prospect but at the moment he is still our number 2 number 3 imo

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The March game? When their goals came from a penalty and two attacks down our right? Unsure how that's targeting Stevenson.
    Yes, that game. Hearts strangled the game and looked like they had an extra player as they gave up their right hand side, our left, as weren’t overly worried about our attacking threat from the left. Nullified Boyle and won the midfield. No player got pass marks that night so not blaming Stevenson for the defeat but I had to give Stendel grudging respect that night.

Was just an example of other ways we can be targeted. My general point is that if teams are targeting Doig they’re not very successful at it as our results, league place and goals against shows. We’re not particularly any weaker defensively when Doig plays IMO.

Gamer IDs

The main change, defensively this season, has been Doig replacing Stevenson. The others were

Given the improvement defensively, I totally disagree with the ‘Stevenson is better defensively’ view. That isn’t really the a criticism of Stevenson but I think anything else devalues the contribution of Doig.
    I think Doig will 100% be Stevenson's long term replacement and he isn't an imposter like the countless other players before him.

I'm also not saying I think he's bad at defending, or positionally. All I'm saying is I think Stevenson is better at those parts of the game. And with a game as massive as a semi final derby I'd feel much more comfortable if Stevenson started.

So if it's coming across as I think Doig is rank, then it's honestly far from that. Just not sure he's ready to start big games yet.

Obviously if he does start I hope he scores a hat-trick and assists another five.