hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Players Out Of Contract

Just had a quick look at this & there are a few very important players out of contract at the end of the season. Hopefully we can get new deals sorted ASAP

Lewis Stevenson
    Ofir Marciano
    Joe Newell
    Stephen McGinn
    Dillon Barnes (Loan)
    Last edited by St Pauli Hibee; 25-10-2020 at 12:34 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by St Pauli Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just had a quick look at this & there are a few very important players out of contract at the end of the season. Hopefully we can get new deals sorted ASAP

Lewis Stevenson
    Paul McGinn
    Ofir Marciano
    Joe Newell
    Stephen McGinn
    Dillon Barnes (Loan)
    Paul has already signed an extension

@hibs.net private member
    I'm assumimg Rocky and Newell have been offered deals. I can see Lewy getting another years playing contract maybe similar to Gray/Mcgregor. However, we need a strong bench with players challenging first XI, not saying Lewy wouldn't but some fresh blood in reserve for the defence next year should be a priority.

Totally expect Rocky to sign his extension. Newell will take his time.

@hibs.net private member
    Rocky is a must. Newell would be huge bonus. Doig is coming good at left back but 100% will need an experienced back up and much better to be Lewis than some journeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Totally expect Rocky to sign his extension. Newell will take his time.
    Would be very surprised if Rocky signed an extension. In his 30s now and wants to try his luck in Italy (whether any Italian clubs want him though, I don't know).

I’m surprised he hasn’t given the recent video Hibs released with him and his family talking about how they now see Edinburgh as their home.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I. I can see Lewy getting another years playing contract maybe similar to Gray/Mcgregor.
    There's a thread kicking about on our most under-rated players, Lewis for me is top of that list. The boy is still class, strong, fit and can play football. I still see him as a first XI player with a few years ahead of him. He's a calming influence when we need it and he is now very experienced. I'd be offering another 3 years, we need him and he's earned it over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    There's a thread kicking about on our most under-rated players, Lewis for me is top of that list. The boy is still class, strong, fit and can play football. I still see him as a first XI player with a few years ahead of him. He's a calming influence when we need it and he is now very experienced. I'd be offering another 3 years, we need him and he's earned it over and over again.
    I’d expect a year also.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

I think Lennon will try and get Marciano on a free next season if he hasn’t signed a new deal by January.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I think Lennon will try and get Marciano on a free next season if he hasn’t signed a new deal by January.
    Lennon will be out a job by January.

@hibs.net private member
    Lewis Stevenson - 2 year deal
    Ofir Marciano - 3 year deal
    Joe Newell - 3 year deal
    Stephen McGinn - release
    Dillon Barnes - open minded

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Can I ask why you think that?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Joe Newell - 3 year deal
    Stephen McGinn - release
    I agree with that. Good keepers are hard to find and it would be nice not to worry about that position for a while. Lewis looks very good since returning and should have at least a year as a first team starter and then a year as back up. Newell will be the hardest to keep but hopefully we can work some sort of deal out, I doubt we will get 3 years though.

Joe Newell - 3 year deal
    Stephen McGinn - release
    The first four work for me.

Barnes didn't convince me in limited League Cup action so I'd let him go back to QPR. Marciano's back up will be Dabrowski if he does well at Dumbarton, or we can find someone else.

If Marciano doesn't sign a new deal, then I'd expect a new number one to be brought in.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The first four work for me.

Barnes didn't convince me in limited League Cup action so I'd let him go back to QPR. Marciano's back up will be Dabrowski if he does well at Dumbarton, or we can find someone else.

If Marciano doesn't sign a new deal, then I'd expect a new number one to be brought in.
    That’s a good point actually.

Not just about out of contract player changes at the end of the season.
    To get new players in others need to move on.
    Some supporters would have Hibs as a museum of players of the past but we can't afford to spend chunks of our limited playing budget on players whose time has passed no matter who they are.

Accordingly this should be McGregors last playing season. Knee problems for a few years and 36 before next season starts. A real favourite of mine but his knees have called time. Has done well to nurse them along this long.
    Gray has played very little football in the last 18 months. Lots of cash spent with little return. Will be 33 before the end of the season. Will he sit on the bench for another season? His body may have recovered without the constant pressure to return before ready following the success of Paul McGinn this season, so perhaps.
    Lewis Stevenson - 33 very shortly but still in good nick and still a regular starter and playing sub. 1 year deal. A far better case for a playing contract than McGregor & Gray

Ofir Marciano - Why bother trying to find another keeper when you have this guy. Hibs won't find a better keeper without a substantial outlay. Fortunately for Hibs his recent high profile rickets for Israel will have dented his reputation and options. I think he is great and hopefully will sign a long term contract. Could even stay at Hibs for the rest of his career.

Joe Newell - wonderful player, skill, vision, flair, height. Essential part of the team. Again hope we can get him to sign a new contract.

Stephen McGinn - hasn't played for a long time and it shows. Unless he can get game time and make his mark he will be gone. IMO the arrival of Magennis will make game time scarce.
    Dillon Barnes - looks the part but reading a supporters forum from a previous club he is prone to making mistakes and his free kick loss in his 1st Hibs game was poor. I can't see Hibs offering him a contract. Dabrowski will be 23 at the end of the season so next season he will probably be the back up keeper or gone.

In summary, desperate for the club to keep Marciano & Newell and suspect Ross will be to.
    The team is doing well and both players are at the centre of it so there is a good chance they can be persuaded to stay with a good manager, regular European football from next season and a team on the up with another 3 or 4 players to arrive next season to complete the post McGinn to Aston Villa etc overhaul.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Joe Newell - 3 year deal
    Stephen McGinn - release
    1 year for Lewis and release Barnes. Fine with the rest.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Marciano and Newell should be 10000000000000% priorities. Stevenson would be nice too. We'll see re McGinn.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Would be very surprised if Rocky signed an extension. In his 30s now and wants to try his luck in Italy (whether any Italian clubs want him though, I don't know).
    Never heard this before. He’s a top keeper and the best we’ve had a Hibs since Leighton. Get him signed up Hibs.

That’s a good point actually.
    Are goalies our Academies Achilles heel?
    Nobody ever seems to make it through

Left by mutual consent!
    Scotland dumping Israel could actually help us keep Marciano. Newell I think will stay also. He warms to enjoy it here and better than L1 down the Road.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Scotland dumping Israel could actually help us keep Marciano. Newell I think will stay also. He warms to enjoy it here and better than L1 down the Road.
    Think Jack said Newell likes his golf, although you never know if players and their partners from down south, will settle up here

I wonder how well Newell has settled in Scotland, hopefully he's enjoying life up the road and will be happy to stay. It's a pivotal time in his career so he won't take any decision lightly, as you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Can I ask why you think that?
    The Huns are edging ahead. If they stop 10 in a row it's a massive failure for Celtic. There's a sense that he's not motivating the players but scorning them, as always seems to happen after 18 months. They very well might decide to let a new guy blow the transfer budget in January and hope for the bounce of a fresh face. There are three more OF derbies and two of them are at Ibrox. A win and a draw puts the Huns in a strong position.

Joe newell is just getting started. Would be a shame for him to go already.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Jack said Newell likes his golf, although you never know if players and their partners from down south, will settle up here
    True.