hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with any post more.

History matters, sentiment undoubtedly DOES keep the lights on.Without sentiment, why not go and watch any old *****?
    There's a lot of old ***** I could have missed out on at Easter Road if sentiment didn't keep drawing me back.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Famous Five, Tornadoes 90+ 2, Sir Tom Farmer. 3 legacy teams inclusive of Stanton and many other successful players and a saviour and descendant of our originators.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Sentiment won’t keep the lights on, sell the naming of whatever we can get, nobody will give a toss a few weeks later.
    You're completely wrong. Try telling that to the many very angry swarms of Hi bees that descended upon Easter Road when the news broke that Wallet Mercenary was about to take us over. The vast majority had left their place of work awol and were ready to riot. You're way off track sunbeam.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    While I know your boyhood heroes are the ones you stick with a comparison of their records shows that the Famous Five period was unsurpassed in the history of the club and they did it by playing a brand of football that people all over the UK wanted to see as can be seen by the number of friendlies that they played and had such a record that even though past their best were chosen to take part in the first European competition.The Tornadoes played excellent football over a relatively short period and did not win the number of trophies that a great team should.The 11 players that we usually think of as the best team only played together twenty odd times.
    The reason I asked the question was nothing to do with naming Stands I was interested in your thoughts as an eye witness to the Famous Five
    My Dad used to rave about the Famous Five and I used to rave at him about how well the TT’s had played and he would just laugh -as he had long since stopped going-and say the only thing guaranteed in life is the HIBS will always let you down.
    His all time heroes were Joe Baker and John McNamee but if you asked him the BEST player he ever saw it was always - like so many of his generation- Gordon Smith.
    I feel privileged to have watched the Tornadoes they were a joy to watch
    I did not see the Famous Five so my question was genuine
    Sadly my Dad did not see the Holy Grail but as others have said we have a fantastic history of many great teams, players, administrators and Managers and you are correct we need to make sure that if we start naming Stands after teams or individuals they are the most deserving cases or if substantial finance is involved name your price?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 22-10-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with any post more.

History matters, sentiment undoubtedly DOES keep the lights on.Without sentiment, why not go and watch any old *****?
    I’m specifically talking about the here and now given the current climate and the potential for the club to earn a few quid.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Every other suggestion is all good and well but the Sir David Gray Arena can’t be far off.

Can we build a hotel and call it the Hobo Harry Hilton? I'll donate 10 bucks and tell the press I am an American investor :)

The east could be the Persevere Stand in honour of the great cup win.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    They should name stands after Tom Farmer and Pat Stanton before they pass.
    Both have played massively important roles for the club.
    👍

It's time to sell the naming rights for the whole stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Not so sure that any person really stands out above others from our history to be have a stand named after them. The Famous Five was a very clear choice with no competition from any other team from another period of our history. There are many individuals throughout our history from Canon Hannon to Harry Swan to Tom Farmer who could easily merit their name being on the stand, but no clear candid above any other.

I would have thought Canon Hannon stood out a bit more.

It might sound strange, but, since we are coming up with so many names to call the stands, how about we name each section, instead of numbering them. Of course the Stands should be named after the big names ie, Main, Sir Tom Farmer, East The Tornado/Pat Stanton, etc
    Just an idea.

Had a dream last night that the South Stand was renamed depending on who we were playing.Jambo games it was called the 7-0 Stand,Hun games Stand 2016 and Celtic games First to wear the green Stand.Then i woke up !!!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Main Stand - The Sir Tom Farmer Stand

East - The Pat Stanton Stand

South - The Persevere End
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I would have thought Canon Hannon stood out a bit more.

In terms of our history, he’s obviously a pivotal figure.

In terms of connection to the fans, I reckon Pat Stanton is the man. He made his debut nearly 60 years ago and he’s still revered. I suppose the fact that a good number of us remember him playing helps a lot with that, and the way he’s become so visible as a statesman for the club.

Over the decades most of us have met Pat and shared a few words with him. The fact that he is so approachable, with such a charisma and humility about him. As someone pointed out, he’d be a bit mortified at the idea of honouring him in such a way, but he also knows he was the fulcrum of the Tornadoes. They (Tornadoes) all love the guy and everyone of them I’ve heard interviewed (Blackley, Cropley, O’Rourke) describe him as the best player they played with. Honouring Pat would be so meaningful and should be done whilst we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    There have been many great individuals over our history from 1875 so i would keep clear of picking just one,two or there as it does a diservice to others not picked.Yes King Paddy deserves in our lifetime it but i dare say our club historian can come up with other deserving names from years gone by.Personally would prefer names like "Cowgate Stand" "Tornado Stand" "1875 Stand" or names along these lines.
    Aye, and there eventually would be the problem of what you would do in 50 years time to honour Ryan Porteous for spending his whole career at Hibs, captaining the club to the league title and three Scottish Cup wins, then surpassing these feats as Hibs manager, not forgetting his 70 caps for Scotland and being the first Scotland captain to lead the national side to the latter stages of a World Cup. Would he just get a car park named after him? That's if we still have cars in 50 years time and not an automatic interlinked taxi network of super-fast suspended monorail trainpods covering every street in the city. Ah, maybe I've taken that too far.
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 23-10-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Aye, and there eventually would be the problem of what you would do in 50 years time to honour Ryan Porteous for spending his whole career at Hibs, captaining the club to the league title and three Scottish Cup wins, then surpassing these feats as Hibs manager, not forgetting his 70 caps for Scotland and being the first Scotland captain to lead the national side to the latter stages of a World Cup. Would he just get a car park named after him? That's if we still have cars in 50 years time and not an automatic interlinked taxi network of super-fast suspended monorail trainpods covering every street in the city. Ah, maybe I've taken that too far.

We'll have moved to our out of town 70,000 capacity 'Porteous Arena' by then.

Ryan will have already been given Nobel prizes for finding cures for AIDS, Baldness and Irritating Nose Hair.

I’d personally go for the Hakim Sar Temsoury Arena. It’s just got a ring to it eh?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Get's my vote. Why not have a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Get's my vote. Why not have a poll?
    Probably been mentioned a couple of million times but the south should always be the Bell-End stand. I mean he was before my time but how good was Dougie Bell?

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    In terms of our history, he’s obviously a pivotal figure.

In terms of connection to the fans, I reckon Pat Stanton is the man. He made his debut nearly 60 years ago and he’s still revered. I suppose the fact that a good number of us remember him playing helps a lot with that, and the way he’s become so visible as a statesman for the club.

Over the decades most of us have met Pat and shared a few words with him. The fact that he is so approachable, with such a charisma and humility about him. As someone pointed out, he’d be a bit mortified at the idea of honouring him in such a way, but he also knows he was the fulcrum of the Tornadoes. They (Tornadoes) all love the guy and everyone of them I’ve heard interviewed (Blackley, Cropley, O’Rourke) describe him as the best player they played with. Honouring Pat would be so meaningful and should be done whilst we can do it.

Certainly not against the Stanton idea, despite being too young to have seen him play.

What about this for an idea - the Whelahan Stanton stand. Honours our first captain (and one of our founders) alongside our greatest captain, draws the link through our history and of course they were related, so its a nice sense of continuity.

Might be a bit unwieldy though?

I definitely think the Farmer stand, and again this could just be the Farmer stand, to honour both Tom and also Philip and his brother (apologies, his name escapes me) who helped rescue and resuscitate the club, and also played a large part in firmly rooting the club into its Leith community. Again it highlights the continuity and family links, which i think are a really nice aspect of the club's history.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Nothing much wrong with these three. Persevere End must have lots of images, banners with historic matches eg 6-2 game, SCF win, lots of pictures of SDG, Lewis, Hanlon scoring an equaliser, *THAT* picture of The Rangers players demoralised on the pitch with not a Hibs player in sight while pandemonium erupts on the terraces behind them.

A very welcoming experience for away fans. Well, two clubs anyway....

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    No . Should name some different parts inside the ground after some players / managers . Would like us to name some food stuff ie , The David Gray burger . Stokes ( on fire ) spicy chicken burger . Which you can order by the Henderson to deliver app on your phone . Get it sorted Ron 😁😁
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    No . Should name some different parts inside the ground after some players / managers . Would like us to name some food stuff ie , The David Gray burger . Stokes ( on fire ) spicy chicken burger . Which you can order by the Henderson to deliver app on your phone . Get it sorted Ron 😁😁
    For faster delivery they could offer express delivery called the Ivan Sproule option

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Wouldn't name any of them, and definitely not after any one person. Looks and sounds naff.

Easter Road, East Mains, East Stand - I like the continuity.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I'd name the main stand the Farmer stand but I would leave the others as is at the moment, STF brought us back from the dead, turned us from a financial basket case to a well run club and rebuilt the stadium and delivered the Scottish Cup all in around 30 years. We have history yet made to come, let's save the East for that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Why not name the different sections of each stand after players. Could be interesting in South Stand.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I'd name the main stand the Farmer stand but I would leave the others as is at the moment, STF brought us back from the dead, turned us from a financial basket case to a well run club and rebuilt the stadium and delivered the Scottish Cup all in around 30 years. We have history yet made to come, let's save the East for that.
    Get Farmer to buy the naming rights for Farmers Autocare, everyone wins 😀

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    It's time to sell the naming rights for the whole stadium.
    nah.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    The Albert Kidd Stand?