hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, they won't. No one is going to Norway on a Wednesday night. Away days are a huge huge part of supporting a club. This would kill it dead. That and ultimately passionless games, no away fans at ER, all games being on TV. Club might be rich but it would be dead on the surface. No thanks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    im not certain supporters (of all clubs involved) will be as compliant or easily led as you think.
    Football fans will eat whatever **** sandwich they are served. Always have done.
    Champions league becomes more of a closed shop every year but fans just shrug their shoulders. Rangers cheat the whole Scottish game for 8 years and nobody says boo.
    The minute RG says this is good for Hibs, 90% of fans will start agreeing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    What makes you so certain this will happen?
    There is serious money involved.

Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

Thing is a lot of current football fans wil think the same, just in the same way 25 years ago the Premiership was exciting to watch on Sky TV. These decisions about setting up new leagues are made for future generations to come , and whilst you might not be interested , the legions of young supporters who would rather watch English football rather than Scottish football will just as quickly be replaced by new fans wanting to watch a European league.
    Many overseas fans support a brand, not a team , so if they move from a domestic league to a pan european league , they wont care , as long as they can watch their team on the tv and buy the merchandise, and that is where the money is and thats what will drive this or an Atlantic league or any other variation.
    Are Hibs a strong enough brand ? No , so if these leagues take off, a decreasing number of fans will watch Hibs until they get bored at the standard and then Hibs and many other clubs will slowly disappear while the rich get richer

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Currie View Post
    Thing is a lot of current football fans wil think the same, just in the same way 25 years ago the Premiership was exciting to watch on Sky TV. These decisions about setting up new leagues are made for future generations to come , and whilst you might not be interested , the legions of young supporters who would rather watch English football rather than Scottish football will just as quickly be replaced by new fans wanting to watch a European league.
    Many overseas fans support a brand, not a team , so if they move from a domestic league to a pan european league , they wont care , as long as they can watch their team on the tv and buy the merchandise, and that is where the money is and thats what will drive this or an Atlantic league or any other variation.
    Are Hibs a strong enough brand ? No , so if these leagues take off, a decreasing number of fans will watch Hibs until they get bored at the standard and then Hibs and many other clubs will slowly disappear while the rich get richer
    Hibs will never disappear because of a Euro League. Our crowds have increased in spite of the EPL. People will always enjoy seeing games in the raw not the sterilised Sky TV tourist version.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Hibs will never disappear because of a Euro League. Our crowds have increased in spite of the EPL. People will always enjoy seeing games in the raw not the sterilised Sky TV tourist version.
    The quality of player we watch now has decreased since I started watching. It used to be that we could compete for players with championship level clubs in England. Lately we have been losing out to league 1 teams( their new salary cap may help).
    People enjoy watching live football and Hibs have a value but we should aim to maximise it. Standing still will really mean moving backwards.
    I think if we are not in there shaping our destiny then other clubs will choose it for us.

This was compiled in 2018 when Hibs crowds were higher due to cup win bounce.

Atlantic league
    2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
    Feyenoord 45,419
    Celtic 44,849
    New Rangers 45,415
    PSV 32,465
    FC Twente 28,518
    Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
    Club Brugge (Belguim) 24,430
    Herenveen 24,314
    AIK (Sweden) 20,983
    Anderlecht 20,675
    Genk (Belguim) 20,590
    Standard Liege (Belguim) 20,415
    Groningen 20,193
    NAC Breda 18,112
    Rosenborg (Norway) 18,039
    Hibs 18,000
    Hearts 18,000
    Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
    Vitesse 17,212
    Utrecht 16,646
    AZ Alkmaar 15,512
    Djurgardens IF (Sweden) 15,484
    FC Copenhagen (Denmark) 15,448
    Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
    IFK Gothenborg (Sweden) 14,350
    Aberdeen 13,094
    PEC Zwolle 12,213
    Willem II 12,099
    ADO Den Haag 11,976
    IFK Norkoping (Sweden) 10,296
    Viking FK (Norway) 10,272
    SK Brann (Norway) 10,124
    KV Mechelan (Belguim)10,160
    Valerenga IF (Norway) 10,099
    KAA Gent (Belguim) 10,090

Tv market
    Holland 17m
    Belguim 11m
    Sweden 10m
    Denmark 5.6m
    Scotland 5.5m
    Norway 5.1m
    Total 52mi

Complied by who? HJK HELSINKI aren't on that list and they've been part of the plans/talk of an Atlantic league since the start. Also teams like Molde are missing out and there is way to many Dutch teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Complied by who? HJK HELSINKI aren't on that list and they've been part of the plans/talk of an Atlantic league since the start. Also teams like Molde are missing out and there is way to many Dutch teams.
    Both those teams average attendance is below 10k

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No, they won't. No one is going to Norway on a Wednesday night. Away days are a huge huge part of supporting a club. This would kill it dead. That and ultimately passionless games, no away fans at ER, all games being on TV. Club might be rich but it would be dead on the surface. No thanks.
    Away days are a huge part of supporting the club but for a small percentage of supporters.

Hibs average attendance is in the region of 16/17000 and our away attendance is around 10% of that. Meaning for around 90% of the support away days are either something that only happens once or twice a season or never at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Away days are a huge part of supporting the club but for a small percentage of supporters.

Hibs average attendance is in the region of 16/17000 and our away attendance is around 10% of that. Meaning for around 90% of the support away days are either something that only happens once or twice a season or never at all.
    Correct. Vast majority of fans would happily sacrifice away days to watch a better standard of football.

The quality of player we watch now has decreased since I started watching. It used to be that we could compete for players with championship level clubs in England. Lately we have been losing out to league 1 teams( their new salary cap may help).
    People enjoy watching live football and Hibs have a value but we should aim to maximise it. Standing still will really mean moving backwards.
    I think if we are not in there shaping our destiny then other clubs will choose it for us.

A closed shop ‘Atlantic league’ does nothing for us. Might make us money, I disagree and don’t think it will, however it would be a pointless exercise lacking excitement and for what? Us to be richer than we are now, making folk money but ultimately costing the paying punter far more. No idea why anyone would want us to be franchised like the Americans just so we are richer than we are now. It wouldn’t bring us any new fans, and it would lose us thousands, and would kill the domestic game as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    A closed shop ‘Atlantic league’ does nothing for us. Might make us money, I disagree and don’t think it will, however it would be a pointless exercise lacking excitement and for what? Us to be richer than we are now, making folk money but ultimately costing the paying punter far more. No idea why anyone would want us to be franchised like the Americans just so we are richer than we are now. It wouldn’t bring us any new fans, and it would lose us thousands, and would kill the domestic game as it is now.
    There are loads of assumptions in there that people could disagree with.

There are loads of assumptions in there that people could disagree with.

Exactly like the stance you take. You assume hibs would jump at leaving Scotland, you assume fans would swallow it, you assume (as per previous post on this topic) that we would still compete in a Scottish cup, you assume we would even be welcome. It would be the end of Hibs as it is now, no doubt about that.

Both those teams average attendance is below 10k

HJK have been involved in Atlantic league talks and would 100% be in. Like I said earlier, their trying to get their capacity extended to 25,000. They are the biggest team in Finland and I'm sure that Celtic, Ajax, Anderlecht, AIK would rather have them in the league and therefore opening up the Finnish TV market as opposed to us or Aberdeen. Their still gonna get the Scottish tv money either way
    Molde are just an example of a descent well run successful club. Your looking at their crowd levels and just dismissing them there and then. Basically your doing to them what rangers and celtic have done to us for years.

Exactly like the stance you take. You assume hibs would jump at leaving Scotland, you assume fans would swallow it, you assume (as per previous post on this topic) that we would still compete in a Scottish cup, you assume we would even be welcome. It would be the end of Hibs as it is now, no doubt about that.
    Were/have we ever been invited to take part in any of these talks? As far as im aware we haven't. Thats alright though because we are still going. Forget about clubs like HJK who have actually held talks with the other clubs involved. They don't mater cause we get bigger crowds than them.

HJK have been involved in Atlantic league talks and would 100% be in. Like I said earlier, their trying to get their capacity extended to 25,000. They are the biggest team in Finland and I'm sure that Celtic, Ajax, Anderlecht, AIK would rather have them in the league and therefore opening up the Finnish TV market as opposed to us or Aberdeen. Their still gonna get the Scottish tv money either way
    Molde are just an example of a descent well run successful club. Your looking at their crowd levels and just dismissing them there and then. Basically your doing to them what rangers and celtic have done to us for years.
    It’s not me dismissing them. This will be about money. It will be about clubs with the biggest fan bases. HJK Helsinki average less than 5k per game. I just don’t think they would be involved.

The end of Hibs? No doubt about it?

My understanding of it is that at the last round of talks there were 14 teams involved. Those teams were;
    Rangers.
    Celtic.
    PSV.
    Ajax.
    Feyenoord.
    Anderlecht.
    Standard Liege.
    Club Brugge.
    FC Copenhagen.
    Brondby.
    Malmo.
    AIK.
    HJK.
    Rosenborg.

Some big teams missing there and no sign of us or Aberdeen or Hearts yet alone all 3 of us.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    My understanding of it is that at the last round of talks there were 14 teams involved. Those teams were;
    Rangers.
    Celtic.
    PSV.
    Ajax.
    Feyenoord.
    Anderlecht.
    Standard Liege.
    Club Brugge.
    FC Copenhagen.
    Brondby.
    Malmo.
    AIK.
    HJK.
    Rosenborg.

Some big teams missing there and no sign of us or Aberdeen or Hearts yet alone all 3 of us.
    hard to believe a massive club and brand like Ajax wouldn’t be in the European Premier league or whatever they want to call it. Even harder to believe Hibs would be included in a league with some of those big names.

It’s not me dismissing them. This will be about money. It will be about clubs with the biggest fan bases. HJK Helsinki average less than 5k per game. I just don’t think they would be involved.

It is you dismissing them though. They have already been part of the talks for the Atlantic league. If the other clubs didn't want them, why have they ALREADY been invited to the table?Like I said earlier, have we ever been invited to the table? It's not just about home gates. By having them there you open up another whole TV market. People from all Finland would watch their games.

Rangers.
    Celtic.
    PSV.
    Ajax.
    Feyenoord.
    Anderlecht.
    Standard Liege.
    Club Brugge.
    FC Copenhagen.
    Brondby.
    Malmo.
    AIK.
    HJK.
    Rosenborg.

I’m not saying that we will def be involved, just that if it goes ahead and we are not then I think it will be very bad for Hibs.

It is you dismissing them though. They have already been part of the talks for the Atlantic league. If the other clubs didn't want them, why have they ALREADY been invited to the table?Like I said earlier, have we ever been invited to the table? It's not just about home gates. By having them there you open up another whole TV market. People from all Finland would watch their games.
    And that is a very good point. If they show they can bring money to the table then they will get in.
    I don’t know if any of this will happen. I think it’s more likely the Dutch and Belgians go and do their own thing.
    I am certain that when moves start to happen that Celtic and Rangers will make a move. Aberdeen will quickly follow and that Hibs and Hearts will have a decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    hard to believe a massive club and brand like Ajax wouldn’t be in the European Premier league or whatever they want to call it. Even harder to believe Hibs would be included in a league with some of those big names.
    Messed up isn't it. Just shows how ridiculous European football has become that Ajax would have to be part of this. Not from a top 5 league and not seen as being in top 18 clubs despite being bigger than the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

One thing about HJK is if they only get 5k fans at games then it will be taken into account how that looks on TV. There will be presentational criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

The average amount of Hibs fans in attendance is significantly less than 17k. Nearer 14k for most games. We'd have a lower attendance straight off the bat, with no guarantee of this being a success.

Thankfully, it's not happening.

The average amount of Hibs fans in attendance is significantly less than 17k. Nearer 14k for most games. We'd have a lower attendance straight off the bat, with no guarantee of this being a success.

Thankfully, it's not happening.
    Why would we have a lower attendance?

Why would we have a lower attendance?

No away fans? And plenty won't be for this.

No away fans? And plenty won't be for this.
    Pretty sure with the right marketing we could replace the 250 St. Mirren fans with home fans for a visit from Malmo or Ajax.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Pretty sure with the right marketing we could replace the 250 St. Mirren fans with home fans for a visit from Malmo or Ajax.

it’s only a handful of years since there were thousands of empty seats for derby matches against hearts...

and I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to suggest several thousand Hibs fans might want nothing to do with this.

I'm sure Ajax will be ****ing buzzing to partner up with Hibs

Nae chance. It's just not happening and rightly so.