hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't stand this "the winner takes it all" attitude
    They'll either be shouting Money, Money, Money or sending out an SOS......

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    They'll either be shouting Money, Money, Money or sending out an SOS......
    The sooner this proposal meets its Waterloo the better.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Sounds pretty horrendous to be honest. Football at that level is going to disappear up its own erse. The thing with getting more money is that you end up paying more for players so you’re not really that better off ...
    That's it, the only people benefitting are the banker ****.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.
    Bayern had TV rights usurped when Aberdeen beat them in ECWC in '83. Wee club wasn't meant to do so and this was a genuine factor in changes that led to Champions League and freezing out of smaller clubs.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Very much looking forward to the rage and anger when the bigot twins find out they’re not being invited to play.
    If this went through, an atlantic league would be an absolute stick on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Sounds pretty horrendous to be honest. Football at that level is going to disappear up its own erse. The thing with getting more money is that you end up paying more for players so you’re not really that better off ...
    They will salary cap the new league. The players will still be paid more than any other league could manage but they will operate like a cartel to protect the owners investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Almost certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Can I ask why? The teams that would be involved would barely come from the nations involved in an ‘Atlantic league’... If Hibs ended up in some super duper multi nations league and cutting off our ties to the rest of Scotland then that would be that for me. Thankfully it won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Can I ask why? The teams that would be involved would barely come from the nations involved in an ‘Atlantic league’... If Hibs ended up in some super duper multi nations league and cutting off our ties to the rest of Scotland then that would be that for me. Thankfully it won’t happen.
    I think you are kidding yourself. And if we didn’t and Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts went off to join it and we stayed behind, would you be happier?
    The Atlantic league would have happened by now but for UEFA opposition to cross border leagues. That’s gone now so there will be movement soon. RG will be making sure we are part of it. That’s how he makes a big return on his investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I think you are kidding yourself. And if we didn’t and Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts went off to join it and we stayed behind, would you be happier?
    The Atlantic league would have happened by now but for UEFA opposition to cross border leagues. That’s gone now so there will be movement soon. RG will be making sure we are part of it. That’s how he makes a big return on his investment.

I've no interest or desire in an Atlantic league. Even if it did happen, your being quite presumptuous. Would we even been in it? How many teams are gonna be involved, 18/20 and five of them are gonna be from Scotland Be lucky if it's 3 at most. But let's say for arguments sake your right and all nations involved do get 5 teams. Do you know what's less appealing than an Atlantic league, playing in the 2nd division of an Atlantic league against the 4th/5th best teams from leagues like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Belgium.

14 teams proposed in the original Atlantic league and guess what, we were and still would be nowhere close to being one of them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I've no interest or desire in an Atlantic league. Even if it did happen, your being quite presumptuous. Would we even been in it? How many teams are gonna be involved, 18/20 and five of them are gonna be from Scotland Be lucky if it's 3 at most. But let's say for arguments sake your right and all nations involved do get 5 teams. Do you know what's less appealing than an Atlantic league, playing in the 2nd division of an Atlantic league against the 4th/5th best teams from leagues like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Belgium.
    Unfortunately that’s where we would end up, if Euro leagues come in fruition then we’ve got to be part of it otherwise we end up playing in a league against the OF colts and probably Aberdeen colts and Hearts colts. If the Euro leagues come we’ve got to be in it regardless of the level. But I hope they don’t as this nothing more than Americanising of European football.

Anything but an Atlantic league or some garbage. I'd rather watch a part time Hibs play at meadowbank or something.

European Premier League.

Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league. In fact, you could add the Dutch and we would still make the top 18 best supported teams.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Anything but an Atlantic league or some garbage. I'd rather watch a part time Hibs play at meadowbank or something.
    same for me mate, and for many others I imagine.

it would be the end of my interest in football, which would be truly heartbreaking but there it is.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league.

That assumes there would be standard promotion and relegation between the divisions, which might not be true in the brave new world of US-style 'franchises'.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    No chance I'll be paying to watch Hibs v Rosenberg or whoever.

I can't see any of this ever coming to pass anyway. Even if it did, would there really be any greater interest for tv subscribers when comparing an Atlantic League to watching the SPL or whatever it's called these days?

The current Champions League is long-winded guff and a European League would be even worse. No thanks

The choice will not be between what we have now and an Atlantic league. The choice will be between being left behind after Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts move on or going with them.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Why would we need to be 2nd div? From the nations you mention, our crowds would put us in the top division of an 18 team league. In fact, you could add the Dutch and we would still make the top 18 best supported teams.

Why on earth would they base it on crowd size when they have a coefficient system?

I've not checked, but I'd assume we'd definitely not be in the top 18 if they were to use that.

Also, why would an Atlantic League be a stick on if this were to happen?

As far as I can see, this European Premier League will likely take over the Champions League place. They'll still be playing in their domestic leagues?

Genuinely can't see the appeal of an Atlantic League.

It's not just based on crowd sizes though is it. If it was, why would Celtic and rangers be desperate to leave. I'm sure clubs like HJK Helsinki are looking at the prospect of an Atlantic league and thinking to themselves, know what would be good, if they set up this league and gave Scotland 5 teams in it that all start in the top league while we start in the 2nd division with all the other teams from the Finland and teams like Viking FK, FC Midtjylland, IFK Norrkoping who I'm sure are all of a similar opinion.
    Come to think of it, I'm not sure of actual crowds in any of these leagues but if we were going by stadium capacity and including the Dutch, I'm not sure we would be top 18. Maybe but would be at a push. Other than Finland all the other leagues have teams with bigger stadiums than ER.

So out of curiosity and going buy who I think would be top 5 teams from the Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Finnish leagues the following teams have bigger stadiums than ER.
    Celtic.
    Rangers.
    Aberdeen.
    AIK.
    Djurgardens.
    Hammarby.
    Malmo.
    Rosenborg.
    Ajax.
    Feyenoord.
    PSV.
    FC Twente.
    *Heerenveen.
    Club Bruge.
    Standard Liege.
    Genk.
    Anderlecht.
    Brondby.
    Aarhus.
    FC Copenhagen.
    * Not sure Heerenveen would be one of the top 5 Dutch clubs but a few other Dutch clubs have bigger stadiums than ER anyway.
    HJK Helsinki are currently trying to get their capacity extended to 25000 so that would be another club to add to the list.

No chance we'd be in the top division to start off with.
    Last edited by DH1875; 21-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.

So out of curiosity and going buy who I think would be top 5 teams from the Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Finnish leagues the following teams have bigger stadiums than ER.
    Celtic.
    Rangers.
    Aberdeen.
    AIK.
    Djurgardens.
    Hammarby.
    Malmo.
    Rosenborg.
    Ajax.
    Feyenoord.
    PSV.
    FC Twente.
    *Heerenveen.
    Club Bruge.
    Standard Liege.
    Genk.
    Anderlecht.
    Brondby.
    Aarhus.
    FC Copenhagen.
    * Not sure Heerenveen would be one of the top 5 Dutch clubs but a few other Dutch clubs have bigger stadiums than ER anyway.
    HJK Helsinki are currently trying to get their capacity extended to 25000 so that would be another club to add to the list.

No chance we'd be in the top division to start off with.
    This was compiled in 2018 when Hibs crowds were higher due to cup win bounce.

Atlantic league
    2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
    Feyenoord 45,419
    Celtic 44,849
    New Rangers 45,415
    PSV 32,465
    FC Twente 28,518
    Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
    Club Brugge (Belguim) 24,430
    Herenveen 24,314
    AIK (Sweden) 20,983
    Anderlecht 20,675
    Genk (Belguim) 20,590
    Standard Liege (Belguim) 20,415
    Groningen 20,193
    NAC Breda 18,112
    Rosenborg (Norway) 18,039
    Hibs 18,000
    Hearts 18,000
    Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
    Vitesse 17,212
    Utrecht 16,646
    AZ Alkmaar 15,512
    Djurgardens IF (Sweden) 15,484
    FC Copenhagen (Denmark) 15,448
    Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
    IFK Gothenborg (Sweden) 14,350
    Aberdeen 13,094
    PEC Zwolle 12,213
    Willem II 12,099
    ADO Den Haag 11,976
    IFK Norkoping (Sweden) 10,296
    Viking FK (Norway) 10,272
    SK Brann (Norway) 10,124
    KV Mechelan (Belguim)10,160
    Valerenga IF (Norway) 10,099
    KAA Gent (Belguim) 10,090

Tv market
    Holland 17m
    Belguim 11m
    Sweden 10m
    Denmark 5.6m
    Scotland 5.5m
    Norway 5.1m
    Total 52mi

The choice will not be between what we have now and an Atlantic league. The choice will be between being left behind after Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts move on or going with them.

back to the meadows it is then for AFC Hibernian against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC.

150 odd years of tradition and heritage thrown on the scrap heap for some crap sterile Euro League against teams we have zero connection with... no thanks

I think the Dutch and the Belgians will go their own way anyway. I think it will be us and the Scandinavians or we will merge with what’s left of the English leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    back to the meadows it is then for AFC Hibernian against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC.

150 odd years of tradition and heritage thrown on the scrap heap for some crap sterile Euro League against teams we have zero connection with... no thanks
    Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd happily see us participate in an Euro league of some description so long as it wasn't at the expense of the domestic game - that said, I'd rather see us playing decent sized European opposition than going through the group stages of the league cup (maybe that is an opportunity to play a Colts team for their development etc?).
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Knock yourself out. The vast majority of fans will follow the club into whatever set up they choose.

im not certain supporters (of all clubs involved) will be as compliant or easily led as you think.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I think the Dutch and the Belgians will go their own way anyway. I think it will be us and the Scandinavians or we will merge with what’s left of the English leagues.

What makes you so certain this will happen?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Scandinavian’s play in a summer league don’t they?