hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May as well, create an almost NFL style super league to sit at the top and maybe the national leagues underneath return to more of an even keel.

From a Scottish point of view, what they get up to is almost irrelevant, but it would presumably lead to less daft money artificially flowing through the English pyramid, might stop us being outbid for players by clubs in League 1 etc, as all the crazy money is concentrated on the 18 super clubs, with no incentive to buy random English clubs, unable to break into the cartel at the top.
    I think an NFL style set up is the way it could go.
    All the money from commercial deals and merchandise sales pooled and split fairly equally.
    What could this mean for the rest of us? A slow painful death? But then if we look to America, their college football draws bigger crowds than the NFL, and TV viewing figures aren't too shabby.
    There will always be a place for clubs and leagues to survive and thrive, it's just the pinnacle of the sport would be closed off to 99% of clubs, but then it is anyway as it is.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 20-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Very much looking forward to the rage and anger when the bigot twins find out they’re not being invited to play.
    I'd prefer that both get invited.

The rest of us can then enjoy our football in a competitive league. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts aren't that much larger than the next tier of clubs, so there will always be plenty of competition.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Is a European Premier League not really what the "Champions" League is? Same teams every season and very rarely do other teams get a look in.

I used to follow 4-5 leagues around the world when I was younger. Knew most players and loved the game. Nowadays 20 years later, I have lost interest. I watch Hibs and will stick on the odd EPL game, but I have zero interest outside Hibs any more. Money has ruined the game and it's not coming back.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Is a European Premier League not really what the "Champions" League is? Same teams every season and very rarely do other teams get a look in.
    More or less but they plan to play 18 fixtures in Euro Prem lge. Staying in domestic leagues too so a lot of games to fit in but the money spoken of is crazy

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    The greed is sickening
    Agree with this. And Manchester United have a brass neck! It’s a good job for them it’s not the best 18 football teams as they wouldn’t even be close to being invited.

Left by mutual consent!
    I can see fans revolting. Grassroots supporters of big clubs will still want the joy of winning domestic league. Bragging rights with their derby wins more important than rolling over to the machinations of a bunch of evil bankers who will happily asset strip the poorer clubs going to the wall.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I really feel quite sorry for the many genuine lifelong supporters of Liverpool, United etc.

i mean no club is whiter than white, but it can’t be easy reconciling your love for the team with the knowledge that your club is a greedy dishonourable piece of s***e

obviously a lot of them won’t care as long as the success continues, but for the old school fan, they must realise they’ve lost something precious

It's an opportunity for the lower league clubs to market themselves to the REAL fans. Get back to basics, introduce terracing again and get an atmosphere back in the grounds. Crystal Palace fans and atmosphere show it's still part of the game. You don't get that at the big clubs, just the prawn sandwich brigade.

Now we know why Man City were floating the idea of 'B' teams in the lower leagues last week.

This is exactly what the Daily Record ect were prattling on about years ago... How great it would be to see the old firm join the EPL, but don't worry plebs, they will still have 'B' teams left up here so your diddy teams will still have the privilege of seeing the mighty old firm and being regularly gubbed by them.

So will this be the same 18 clubs year in year out no matter what..?

Can't think of anything more boring. I used to look forward to the champions league games because they were one off's. Having a league where they play each other twice a season with no relegation could back fire big time. And Man Utd they struggle in the Premiership these days.

@hibs.net private member
    Sounds pretty horrendous to be honest. Football at that level is going to disappear up its own erse. The thing with getting more money is that you end up paying more for players so you’re not really that better off ...

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Modern football is absolutely ***** and all about the handful of clubs in each country making sure they are the richest clubs and **** the rest of us. Only a matter of time before the big clubs tell uefa and FIFA to boot and set up their own league playing each other and no longer playing in their home association. Far fetched? Not to my mind. May take a few years but that will happen
    It’s a joke why any fans would want to be part of that I don’t know surely playing rivals in a league in your own country means more than playing the “bigger” clubs . But I suppose it’s not the fans that want it. It’s the business men that own the richest clubs that want it

First Team Breakthrough
    I’m 32 now as young lad and teenager I watched all football and loved it, now I can only get up for a hibs game because it’s something close to my heart it runs through my blood, English football and that is getting boing overpaid players

This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.
    There will be lots of moaning and complaining, talk of boycotts etc but as soon as it hits TV screens everyone will be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.
    There will be lots of moaning and complaining, talk of boycotts etc but as soon as it hits TV screens everyone will be watching.

not everyone. I, categorically, will not be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’d love to see a massive backlash from fans of clubs not involved in this, a campaign to not watch any games. Starve the tv companies of subscribers, cancel existing subscriptions etc.
    I've boycotted sky since day 1. I hope it catches on

[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6332805]This will happen in some form. All these American owners are not here for the good of the game. They want a return on their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

They can ram it.

Um, er.....

:-0

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Um, er.....

It all makes sense now

If the NFL is the model , then like American sports they will have feeder teams in the domestic leagues and the star players in this elite league.
    They might be B teams or they might just buy another club, either way its the the next stage of the demise of the game because too much money, non European owners and commercial/TV demand from outside Europe will drive this.
    If the top 36 clubs clubs are slected on commercial benefit alone , would expect Celtic to be part of this. And if you think Scottish football gets the scraps just now , wait until it loses its biggest earner

Um, er.....

I have no doubt that Ron Gordon will want a return on his investment as well. Don’t kid yourself that he’s here because he loves Hibs. As things get shaken up at the top of the game it will filter down and there will be changes at our level as well.
    No idea how it will all pan out but I’m certain things won’t stay how they are.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.

Haven't watched the champions league for years and this won't make me watch European football. I could probably real off the European cup winners from about 75 onwards until the champions league started but I'd struggle to tell you the last five winners. Days of Forest, Villa, steaua, feyenoord, Porto, Hamburg, Red Star maybe even Ajax winning are long gone. And they're gone because the big rich clubs don't want these upstarts winning it and the champions league is designed to make sure they never do again.
    I’m in the same boat but I suspect I’m not their target market. They are thinking of a global audience who don’t have traditional attachments.

I have no doubt that Ron Gordon will want a return on his investment as well. Don’t kid yourself that he’s here because he loves Hibs. As things get shaken up at the top of the game it will filter down and there will be changes at our level as well.
    No idea how it will all pan out but I’m certain things won’t stay how they are.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the "American owners" mention.

I too am sure RG is looking for a return. Of course he is. I'm confident he will do it while keeping the spirit of the club in tact. I expect we're both of the same view.

exactly. It’s weighted towards wealth. The romance is long gone.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    All about money, money, money. It's a rich clubs world.
    Can't stand this "the winner takes it all" attitude

Sorry, just couldn't resist the "American owners" mention.

I too am sure RG is looking for a return. Of course he is. I'm confident he will do it while keeping the spirit of the club in tact. I expect we're both of the same view.
    I’ve no problem with it. I’ve long expected change to come. Whether I like it when it arrives is another thing. RG looks like a more dynamic owner that Farmer was and does appear willing to try new things. I’m ok with that for now.

I’ve no problem with it. I’ve long expected change to come. Whether I like it when it arrives is another thing. RG looks like a more dynamic owner that Farmer was and does appear willing to try new things. I’m ok with that for now.

Agreed.