hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure with the right marketing we could replace the 250 St. Mirren fans with home fans for a visit from Malmo or Ajax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our home crowds would be consistent sell-outs if we played in a league of such quality. Hibs would attract better quality footballers, have more money and play against exotic/well-known sides, so would definitely boost the commercial product.

I would rather we didn't abandon our Scottish roots though and maybe pursued this "Euro League" as more of a new cup competition? Would kill Scottish Football if any teams went for this sort of thing as a replacement for the current league set-ups.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Our home crowds would be consistent sell-outs if we played in a league of such quality. Hibs would attract better quality footballers, have more money and play against exotic/well-known sides, so would definitely boost the commercial product.

I would rather we didn't abandon our Scottish roots though and maybe pursued this "Euro League" as more of a new cup competition? Would kill Scottish Football if any teams went for this sort of thing as a replacement for the current league set-ups.
    There is truth in that second paragraph but I just can’t see it not happening.
    The big clubs in the big countries will get what they want and at that point the rest will be looking for solutions for themselves. Celtic, Rangers, Ajax etc will jump as soon as they get a chance. Whether there will be room for Hibs when they do jump is another matter. Can’t see it not happening though so it’s better to be looking to shape the future rather than just let it happen to us.

There is truth in that second paragraph but I just can’t see it not happening.
    The big clubs in the big countries will get what they want and at that point the rest will be looking for solutions for themselves. Celtic, Rangers, Ajax etc will jump as soon as they get a chance. Whether there will be room for Hibs when they do jump is another matter. Can’t see it not happening though so it’s better to be looking to shape the future rather than just let it happen to us.

You are assuming the Dutch teams would be interested. I don't think they would be as it would make more sense for then to join with Belgium.

Take out the Dutch and Belgiun sides and suddenly it doesn't look anywhere near as exciting. Travel costs alone to parts of Scandinavia would be high for the club let alone fans.

If teams like Ajax, PSV , Anderlecht and Standard Liege were in it I think alot of fans would buy into it. I don't think they would be in it though and it's then a completely different proposition.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    The CL is dull enough without this!

Please no.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The end of Hibs? No doubt about it?

As we are just now, absolutely. Even if some bought into it, it would divide a fan base massively. We wouldn’t be competing in Scotland, we would effectively ending our community club stuff. I’m glad you ignored all the other points. It’s a complete fantasy and you’ve turned full circle from hibs will be involved, to there’s no guarantee we’ll be involved. You’ve also cut out the biggest market by saying the Dutch and Belgians won’t be involved and you still think it’ll be some super duper massive league. Anything that kills the domestic game in Scotland is a massive no from me, and many others.

We want salary caps and ***** brought in to bring us closer to the top, yet want to abandon those below us as soon as the first opportunity of more money arrives 😂

Hate rangers as they’ve cheated us for years and want them binned, but want them involved in this new league as it maximises our revenues!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You are assuming the Dutch teams would be interested. I don't think they would be as it would make more sense for then to join with Belgium.

Take out the Dutch and Belgiun sides and suddenly it doesn't look anywhere near as exciting. Travel costs alone to parts of Scandinavia would be high for the club let alone fans.

If teams like Ajax, PSV , Anderlecht and Standard Liege were in it I think alot of fans would buy into it. I don't think they would be in it though and it's then a completely different proposition.
    I’m not assuming anything. I’ve already said I think the Dutch will go their own way but who knows? Maybe we do it just with Dutch and the Belgians?
    I’ve no idea how this ends up but I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t carry on like it is now.

I’m not assuming anything. I’ve already said I think the Dutch will go their own way but who knows? Maybe we do it just with Dutch and the Belgians?
    I’ve no idea how this ends up but I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t carry on like it is now.

I mentioned the Dutch as Ajax was one of two teams who you said would bring big crowds hence I thought your point was Dutch teams would be involved.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Capitalism likes to pretend it is built on competition - this whole CL thing demonstrates it's nothing of the sort, just a cartel of the richest trying to make sure they get richer without even bothering with the competitive bit.
    Sanctioned corruption. Me no like.

Why do the Dutch teams want to be part of an Atlantic league? Erm........money. I'm completely against the idea and don't think It'll happen. Either way we won't be part of it.
    The Dutch clubs; PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord are like Rangers and Celtic, they dont care about other clubs in their country/league. Their proposal is ONE DIVISION of 16/18 teams of which these 3 clubs would be part of it. The Dutch league currently gets around £65million a year from TV money which they have to share with with everyone else. It's not even in the top 10 TV deals and is behind countries like Turkey, Brazil and even Belgium. I've no idea how they come about these figures but they reckon that an Atlantic league of 16/18 teams will make over £400million per season in TV revenue. If that's true then you see why they and the likes of rangers and celtic want to go for it. £400million might seem a lot but it's only the same as what the likes of Turkey are getting each season (who knew).
    In short, stay in Holland and split £65million between 18 or join Atlantic league and share £400million between 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Capitalism likes to pretend it is built on competition - this whole CL thing demonstrates it's nothing of the sort, just a cartel of the richest trying to make sure they get richer without even bothering with the competitive bit.
    Sanctioned corruption. Me no like.
    Thats exactly what they want to do. They want to be guaranteed the money every year. Man Utd hate having to qualify for top 4 every year. The want a Euro league as a closed shop. As soon as it happens they will likely agree a salary cap as well to ensure more money goes to the owners.
    When you see big investment bank under writing £6bn of start up costs you know it’s going to happen one way or another. Most likely by UEFA giving the clubs everything they ask for in a closed champions league. They can’t afford to lose them.
    After that happens then there will be all sorts of goings on underneath that level. Maybe it will be uefa who set up regional leagues?
    There is so much money available that it’s hard not to see something happening.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

I imagine Barcelona’s members will have to approve such a move and that’s nowhere near a foregone conclusion.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    The CL is dull enough without this!

Please no.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    What is it's purpose? To replace the champions league? Or is it to save the big teams from playing the less glamorous ties and just playing other behemoths?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    This is all nonsense. For a start, the Atlantic doesn't have anything to do with it. It should be called the North Sea Super Cup.

Then would it be a closed format? So no relegations or promotions? The biggest teams from five of europes relative diddy leagues have an annual dick measuring contest without the prospect of dropping back in to their own countries league?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    The Dutch league currently gets around £65million a year from TV money which they have to share with with everyone else. It's not even in the top 10 TV deals and is behind countries like Turkey, Brazil and even Belgium. ...

It's not really that much of a surprise for the first two, as Turkey's population is 83 million and Brazil's over 300 million (the Netherlands is 17 million)

Both countries are crazy about football.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Why would we have a lower attendance?

You can count me out, I never even knew there was European games on TV last night until I saw the reporting of it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I imagine Barcelona’s members will have to approve such a move and that’s nowhere near a foregone conclusion.
    You have more faith in Barca fans loyalty to Spain than me.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’d love to see a massive backlash from fans of clubs not involved in this, a campaign to not watch any games. Starve the tv companies of subscribers, cancel existing subscriptions etc.
    There will be a massive backlash from fans of clubs who are supposed to be involved in such a venture.

Left by mutual consent!
    So the Champions League is moving towards an NFL style Conference fixture schedule where there are 36 teams who each play 10 games where a league table is then formed on the back of each teams 10 games.

The top 8 then go through with the next 16 teams playing a knockout round to reach the last 16 proper where it is knockout.

Strength of schedule will be a big factor in this new format.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Will the other European Tournaments follow the same format?
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 30-03-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    So the Champions League is moving towards an NFL style Conference fixture schedule where there are 36 teams who each play 10 games where a league table is then formed on the back of each teams 10 games.

The top 8 then go through with the next 16 teams playing a knockout round to reach the last 16 proper where it is knockout.

Not a big fan tbh

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1376813111961923585?s=19

https://www.footballcritic.com/amp/a...mpression=true

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post

What a load of pish
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

The main impact for the real football world is that UEFA are demanding another four exclusive midweeks for their bloated moneyfest.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

The Group Stages of the Champions' League are long enough at six matches. Expanding this to ten matches will make it even more tedious.

The competition only comes to life at the knock-out stages.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Urgh.

The relentless amoral logic of capitalism continues.

Even if - and it’s a big if - a powerful new American or Asian championship develops, why is it inevitable that Europe must follow suit?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Urgh.

The relentless amoral logic of capitalism continues.

Even if - and it’s a big if - a powerful new American or Asian championship develops, why is it inevitable that Europe must follow suit?
    A bit far fetched? I don’t see anything emerging from North America or Asia in the next ten to fifteen years.

There is no demand from supporters, certainly not in England, to replace National Competitions with any European wide entity.

The draw of this competition has diminished steadily over the years for me as the games just become more and more repetitive. This format will just make that worse but it must be appealing to millions of armchair fans otherwise they wouldn’t do it.