hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Neither of the Old Firm will agree to any decision which will leave them in a position of losing the league on a technicality. I understand any formula would require the old 11-1 vote and therefore will never get passed because of the self interest of those two.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The SPFL board put forward a plan to give them authority to decide what happens and it got voted down - the clubs decided the current way was the best way for it.
    At which point they should have had the clubs round the table sorting it there and then. They’re making it up week to week now, the put rules in place for the betfred cup prior to it starting, the league should’ve been the same.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The SPFL board put forward a plan to give them authority to decide what happens and it got voted down - the clubs decided the current way was the best way for it.
    The clubs were right to do so, because the decision should not be left to the board's discretion.

I agree with those who say that a proper plan should have been drawn up and agreed before any games were played.

Personal view is that every team should play every other team home and away before the leagues can be decided. That may mean creating a bubble if some teams have played fewer than 22 games in the top flight, or 18 in the lower leagues. After that, I'd apply the principle used last season of average points per game to decide titles, promotions, relegations and Europe. Otherwise we won't finish this season until 2022.

The only problem is that Hearts were adamant last time that promotion should be cancelled and even went to court over it, at great expense to Dundee United, Raith and Cove. Could be tricky if they are top of their lower league and refuse promotion.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    The only fair thing would be no promotions or relegations...
    I would relegate Hearts

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The clubs were right to do so, because the decision should not be left to the board's discretion.

I agree with those who say that a proper plan should have been drawn up and agreed before any games were played.

Personal view is that every team should play every other team home and away before the leagues can be decided. That may mean creating a bubble if some teams have played fewer than 22 games in the top flight, or 18 in the lower leagues. After that, I'd apply the principle used last season of average points per game to decide titles, promotions, relegations and Europe. Otherwise we won't finish this season until 2022.

The only problem is that Hearts were adamant last time that promotion should be cancelled and even went to court over it, at great expense to Dundee United, Raith and Cove. Could be tricky if they are top of their lower league and refuse promotion.

I’m sure the noble Hearts would act in the wider interests of the game. After all, a club with a tradition of selfless sacrifice would never make a global pandemic all about them, would they?!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’m sure the noble Hearts would act in the wider interests of the game. After all, a club with a tradition of selfless sacrifice would never make a global pandemic all about them, would they?!
    Shouldn't we just put Mrs doctor Budge in charge of it all?

Just as soon as she gets that stand finished she could set up some sort of vague task force with a view to submitting a draft report to her How To Save Scottish Football sub committee for proof reading before she herself adds the finishing touches.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Expel Hearts
    And The club formally known as Rangers.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    And The club formally known as Rangers.

J
    The now defunct Glasgow rangers?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I notice nobody's given much of a view on who should be declared champions if the season's cut short.

I know, I couldn't really give a **** either.
    Surely it’s the team lying 4th? It’s the only sensible option.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    The now defunct Glasgow rangers?

That’s the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    That’s the one!
    Voluntarily liquidated themselves to avoid paying their debts.

Seems they actually do do walking away.

Sir Matt Busby

Punish Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    Punish Hearts.
    Expungulate them, but only after a Budge led task force to see if any better word can be created. Delivery by the next millennium is feasible.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    The only fair thing would be no promotions or relegations...

@hibs.net private member
    No promotion or relegation from the championship. Promote 2 clubs from league one. Two clubs from league one etc. Promote one club from Highland and Lowland leagues.

That way the no club is disadvantaged apart from the championship winner's but seems fair to me as there is always a loser somewhere.

Hearts will surely agree as no one would be punished and it is for the common good of the game.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I think we should all just let Tom English decide.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

It was the big thing missing from the arguments last season, what if it happens again?

Given the very high chance that it could, it’s made that rules weren’t set in stone to cover the possibility of it happening again.

Bit of an issue with the top league playing 38 games and the lower leagues 27, and with the top league being 10 games ahead. If we get 20 games in from here then 30/38 games is fair to call season say? 20/27 to call the season might seem a bit light, especially as there may be postponements in there too.

I think this is going to be a disaster.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

And, this is the problem with allowing the clubs to decide.

As Budge, Tom English et al told us on numerous occasions in the summer - self interest will rule.

Nobody was going to think about contingency plans in the summer as there was too much bad blood about so imo the Doncaster plan was sensible.

However, it didnt happen and we are now in the amusing position where we have no contingency plan and the probability of it all going Pete Tong again.

There is no chance at all of any "solution" being passed - if you were Hamilton, would you vote for "positions as is"? and of course as you note, Hearts wont vote for No Promotion, despite them telling us it was the only honourable position..............which is the bit I will piss myself about.

Testimonial Due
    I think you need to have at least to have played everyone home and away to call the leagues etc. Championship may struggle to do that. Leagues should only be called after 2 rounds of matches or after the third round. If we are somewhere in between 2nd and 3rd go back to the end of the second or third round. If games are needed to complete second round create a bubble. US did it with cases running at 50,000 a day. Philippines has done it with cases at less than 2,000 a day (population 110 mollion) and no money. Calling in between rounds does not create a level playing field.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 21-10-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think you need to have at least to have played everyone home and away to call the leagues etc. Championship may struggle to do that. Leagues should only be called after 2 rounds of matches or after the third round. If we are somewhere in between 2nd and 3rd go back to the end of the second or third round. If games are needed to complete second round create a bubble. US did it with cases running at 50,000 a day. Philippines has done it with cases at less than 2,000 a day (population 110 mollion) and no money. Calling in between rounds does not create a level playing field.
    We didn't finish the third round of fixtures last season. St Johnstone finished ahead of us because of a game at Ibrox that was still outstanding from the second round of fixtures and never played.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

We didn't finish the third round of fixtures last season. St Johnstone finished ahead of us because of a game at Ibrox that was still outstanding from the second round of fixtures and never played.
    Which made it unfair cos the games played after completing 22 will always have an imbalance in terms of difficulty of opposition and H/A. You can even say that of the H/A balance after 33 games. Hence reverting back to positions after 22 games seems fairer if that is the solution decreed in advance, not retrospectively.

What could be funny as.... is if the season(god forbid) is cut short and it goes to a vote, hertz could be Donald Ducked after all the ill will they have created against themselves

no promotion for Championship winner,

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Which made it unfair cos the games played after completing 22 will always have an imbalance in terms of difficulty of opposition and H/A. You can even say that of the H/A balance after 33 games. Hence reverting back to positions after 22 games seems fairer if that is the solution decreed in advance, not retrospectively.
    The way the SPFL is set up the third round determines the pots of those who can win the league/European places or those who can be relegated. You could have a rule that says if 27 games or more are played then complete the third round and the play offs in a bubble. This would maintain sporting integrity and TV contracts.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Don't think that the lower leagues could call a bubble in those circumstances. Too many players are part time.

A bubble could be created in the top league though. Suppose the lower leagues involving clubs like Alloa, Arbroath and Hearts could just be voided with no promotion or relegation.
    Last edited by PatHead; 22-10-2020 at 11:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    One thing for certain is that hearts are going to look even more stupid than they usually do if the leagues have to be called. There’s no way they will vote for no promotion if they’re top of the championship and that will expose everything they did last year as an attempt to save themselves from relegation, which everyone knew it was.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    One thing for certain is that hearts are going to look even more stupid than they usually do if the leagues have to be called. There’s no way they will vote for no promotion if they’re top of the championship and that will expose everything they did last year as an attempt to save themselves from relegation, which everyone knew it was.
    Eh, obviously it was. Rightly so. All clubs serve themselves.

It's far more likely to benefit Hearts. The precedent was set by promoting United and relegating them without finishing all matches. Should happen again if that's the way we want it.

This situation would be amazing.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Eh, obviously it was. Rightly so. All clubs serve themselves.

It's far more likely to benefit Hearts. The precedent was set by promoting United and relegating them without finishing all matches. Should happen again if that's the way we want it.
    Of course all clubs serve themselves and that’s exactly what hearts did. They did however spin it as a gallant fight to do what was right for Scottish football. They are most likely to be the team in the position that Dundee Utd were in last season and we all know how far they went “for the good of the game” taking the opposing stance this time will show them up for the hypocrites they are.

United we stand here....

Surely Budge will once again go down the saving Scottish football path, demand no promotion at all then also force her way to the head of a task force to deliver an alternative a few years down the line with nothing substantive at all required in the short term.

Sir Matt Busby