hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's ****ing rank. Would get found out big time at international level as he can't defend. He will also go down in history as the most losingist Hun captain of all time
    Good to read a balanced analysis on here

2. Log in to remove the advert

There have been a few rugby players played for Scotland through the residency rule, Sean Maitland and Tim Visser spring to mind, with Pierre Schoeman from S Africa qualifying next year.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Good to read a balanced analysis on here
    I toned my reply down a bit!! He is ok but he's never an international player and as I say, we have been lucky to witness his time at the Hun that has coincided with their worst run ever without a major trophy. Just because we haven't got any real standout right backs doesn't all of a sudden make him an international.

I toned my reply down a bit!! He is ok but he's never an international player and as I say, we have been lucky to witness his time at the Hun that has coincided with their worst run ever without a major trophy. Just because we haven't got any real standout right backs doesn't all of a sudden make him an international.
    International being a high standard is a myth. Lyndon Dykes was also "never international standard" now he's playing every game.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    There have been a few rugby players played for Scotland through the residency rule, Sean Maitland and Tim Visser spring to mind, with Pierre Schoeman from S Africa qualifying next year.
    Yeah and as a big rugby fan, I hate the residency rule. It will turn international rugby into the same as the EPL or champs league. The highest paid, England, will eventually become almost untouchable and that includes the ABs. The players get huge money to sign for English clubs, stay for a few years and then hope to get selected by England who pay the highest of any nation for international games. At least 5 times more than Scotland pay. So they will always get the pick of the best players and the rest will get the second best. ABs did it for years with islanders before it became normalised and everyone started doing it. Even they miss out on players to England now. Maybe I'm old fashioned but playing for your country should be just that, now it's all about mercenaries playing for whoever pays the highest.
    Sadly football looks like doing the same

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    International being a high standard is a myth. Lyndon Dykes was also "never international standard" now he's playing every game.
    There are loads of players who have caps that are never international standard. No need to bring any more in though. I personally think Tavernier is bang average and in the biggest game if his life got ripped a new one by Stokes

It's probably about as pragmatically Alex Miller-like as I get, but I can't be doing with fullbacks who can't defend. They're defenders, they need to defend. Anything offered going forward is a bonus.

Tavernier has actually played some glorious stuff going forward for Rangers against Hibs. He's also been directly individually culpable for as many goals we've scored as any player I can remember.

I'd genuinely rather have Paul McGinn playing there. Tavernier may have improved, or Rangers might have found a way to cover for his deficiencies, but every time we play them I still think we're most likely to get joy down his side as his attacking leaves his team wide open at times, and even when he's not miles up the park his positioning is often hopeless.

I am a believer that you have to have Scottish blood somewhere in you to play for our country.I know the egg chasers do it but its a form of cheating in my book.You go with what you have with a Scottish bloodline whether good or bad.

I've always thought he was a good player, but if he's not Scottish then I don't think he should be able to play for Scotland.

Yeah and as a big rugby fan, I hate the residency rule. It will turn international rugby into the same as the EPL or champs league. The highest paid, England, will eventually become almost untouchable and that includes the ABs. The players get huge money to sign for English clubs, stay for a few years and then hope to get selected by England who pay the highest of any nation for international games. At least 5 times more than Scotland pay. So they will always get the pick of the best players and the rest will get the second best. ABs did it for years with islanders before it became normalised and everyone started doing it. Even they miss out on players to England now. Maybe I'm old fashioned but playing for your country should be just that, now it's all about mercenaries playing for whoever pays the highest.
    Last time I looked at the make up of International Rugby teams they were all full of New Zealanders and South Africans. Given your post it makes sense for the players concerned. All about the cash. Very sad.

N.B. have just looked at the forwards in the Scotland squad and it's rammed with New Zealanders, South Africans, an Australian and lots of Englishmen.
    Pragmatism is one thing but the SRFU have made the Scottish team irrelevant to Scotland.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's probably about as pragmatically Alex Miller-like as I get, but I can't be doing with fullbacks who can't defend. They're defenders, they need to defend. Anything offered going forward is a bonus.

Tavernier has actually played some glorious stuff going forward for Rangers against Hibs. He's also been directly individually culpable for as many goals we've scored as any player I can remember.

I'd genuinely rather have Paul McGinn playing there. Tavernier may have improved, or Rangers might have found a way to cover for his deficiencies, but every time we play them I still think we're most likely to get joy down his side as his attacking leaves his team wide open at times, and even when he's not miles up the park his positioning is often hopeless.
    Scotland don’t play with full backs though. We play with wing backs, and their job going forward is as important, if not more important, than defending. It’s never going to happen so it’s a pointless argument, however he would be a massive improvement on what we have. Is he the best defender? Absolutely not, but Scotland’s system would suit that even more than Rangers’ would. He’s extremely good in an attacking sense and he’s an ok defender.

Anyone saying Paul McGinn is a better right wing back is having one also.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    No, but he's begged the FAI for a call up as it's the only nation that can guarantee he won't be run ragged by Stokes.
    In fairness, he would have to see Stokes in order to realise he was being run ragged by him.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Tavernier got the biggest roasting by an opponent I’ve ever seen v Stokes 21/5/16. I’d rather have Paul McGinn or O’Donnell.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Tavernier got the biggest roasting by an opponent I’ve ever seen v Stokes 21/5/16. I’d rather have Paul McGinn or O’Donnell.
    Matt Docherty got a bigger roasting by Andy Driver a couple of years earlier, should that rule him out of all ROI squads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    In fairness, he would have to see Stokes in order to realise he was being run ragged by him.
    That was then and this is now.
    Stokes has been finished for a good few years
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 04:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Whether or not he's good enough is irrelevant - he doesn't qualify.

Might as well debate who drops out of the team for Messi.

The last rugby World Cup most teams had a large portion of their squads that qualified through residency. New Zealand use a lot of South Sea islanders. Getting back to football why not use the rules to your advantage France and Germany are not averse to doing it.

Disgusted that SDG hasn't been mentioned in this thread :-)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    File under the same nonsense that Lorenzo Amoruso was wanting to play for Scotland

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Disgusted that SDG hasn't been mentioned in this thread :-)
    He's Finnish 😉

First Team Breakthrough
    Jordan Rhodes was born in England to English parents but earned a number of Scottish caps due to the fact he was brought up and educated in Kinross when his father Andy played goalkeeper for Dunfermline and St Johnstone.
    Andy was the Pars’ goalkeeper against us in the 1991 Skol Cup final. Also I seem to remember that he had a good relationship with Hibs supporters and would often applaud and acknowledge us during pre match warm ups.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    The last rugby World Cup most teams had a large portion of their squads that qualified through residency. New Zealand use a lot of South Sea islanders. Getting back to football why not use the rules to your advantage France and Germany are not averse to doing it.
    Japan had about 6-7 Aussie/ NZ players and the reason they did so well in the world cup.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Has Tavernier even expressed an interest in playing for Scotland?
    I’m sure not, because he’s not eligible.

Not born in Scotland
    No blood ties
    Not schooled in Scotland.
    Qualified for another British country.

It’s a no brainer.

Post independence, he can be issued a Scottish passport then he can play. But until then. He’s English.

J

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don’t care what other countries do, I’d rather we picked Scottish players, you don’t have to be born here to be Scottish but if you don’t consider yourself to be Scottish then get tae ****.

If you asked Tavernier what nationality he was he’d say English. It’s just no for me.
    I would agree

First Team Breakthrough
    Dreadful slippery slope, if that criteria ever gets used then we can kiss goodbye to any bright prospects playing down south. Billy Gilmour playing for England?

Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Dreadful slippery slope, if that criteria ever gets used then we can kiss goodbye to any bright prospects playing down south. Billy Gilmour playing for England?
    There’s a good clip out there of Billy Gilmour being asked about playing for England.

I don’t think it will happen.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Paul McGinn is an even more obvious contender IMO
    I like Paul McGinn, but this comment can't go by unhighlighted about just how much better a player James Tavernier is, c'mon now.

If it was a possibility and we were to get round it there is absolutely no question that he'd be a major upgrade for Scotland. Anyone who says otherwise simply just isn't capable of taking their Rangers hating glasses off for a second to admit it.

First Team Breakthrough aazza91's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: azmo14
    There was a story last Year that Steve Clarke was speaking with Ryan Frederick's of West Ham. No idea what ever came off that. Could be a sound option for right back.

First Team Breakthrough
    First requisite for a full back is defending and that’s where he’s weakest