hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the Knee

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The BLM stuff has almost completely disappeared from the news stories. Don't see why this knee thing needs to continue.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So far theres been a lot of negative talk, with only one alternative proposed by the Modfather. Where are the others who are finding it pointless, or describing it with that phrase that as become popular when a collective of people try to get a message across en masse: "virtue signalling".
    The question was whether this specific gesture was still effective and is it time to drop it.

Are you looking instead for a thesis from everyone on how to stop racism. A thing that has been ongoing for centuries?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    So far theres been a lot of negative talk, with only one alternative proposed by the Modfather. Where are the others who are finding it pointless, or describing it with that phrase that as become popular when a collective of people try to get a message across en masse: "virtue signalling".
    Deary me, talk about trying to take a discussion in a different direction. “Virtue Signalling” indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomf View Post
    As someone who remembers the peaceful protests of the civil rights movement in America and the continuing struggle for equality and the simple fact that black lives matter, 'taking the knee' has sent a powerful message to the world beyond sport that there are people who consider this a subject worth discussing. I would be disappointed if this small but significant gesture was stopped, certainly until we had crowds back to witness it. We all know the power of a huge crowd respecting a minute's silence or the applause for a fellow supporter so please, let's keep it going.

I can't imagine why anyone would find it offensive unless they were perhaps on the other side of the argument and neither can I see why it should be stopped until those who are oppressed by systemic racism decide that they no longer find themselves disadvantaged.
    I'm with you on this.

Taking a knee should continue until the message no longer needs to be sent, however long that takes.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The question was whether this specific gesture was still effective and is it time to drop it.

Are you looking instead for a thesis from everyone on how to stop racism. A thing that has been ongoing for centuries?
    I’m asking for some feedback ffs, hardly a thesis, it was an attempt to start a discussion about an idea that was floated by another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Deary me, talk about trying to take a discussion in a different direction. “Virtue Signalling” indeed.
    No suggestions then? Cool.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Probably plenty of forums that you can discuss ways of raising awareness of racism out there but most of us here want to keep this about Hibs and football I’d imagine.

No suggestions then? Cool.
    Yes I suggest we stop taking the knee.

Are you a professional football player? If not, then you’re misusing the ‘we’. And if you as a white man suggested to a black man taking the knee to stop taking the knee he’d be well within his rights to tell you to do one.

To what end? To allow it to slip away in to obscurity again and be reminded of its existence within football at 2 games a year where players hold up red cards and then it’s forgotten again?

To what end? To allow it to slip away in to obscurity again and be reminded of its existence within football at 2 games a year where players hold up red cards and then it’s forgotten again?
    Repeating myself again here, it’s my opinion that it has lost it’s impact and is now just dismissed as a motion without folk actually thinking about what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Are you a professional football player? If not, then you’re misusing the ‘we’. And if you as a white man suggested to a black man taking the knee to stop taking the knee he’d be well within his rights to tell you to do one.
    Oh very good, I think I have repeated myself several times as to why I think it has lost it’s impact. You don’t have to agree with me, that’s fine.

Repeating myself again here, it’s my opinion that it has lost it’s impact and is now just dismissed as a motion without folk actually thinking about what it means.
    I’ll save bandwidth and call it a night. We agree to disagree.

I’ll save bandwidth and call it a night. We agree to disagree.
    That’s fine mate, we don’t have to agree on anything just voicing our different opinions 👍

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    On a different m, yet similar theme I posted on my Fb about views on wearing of rainbow lanyards during gay pride. My thought that whilst it’s great there needs to be more than a token display, a slogan or hashtag.

My friend whilst agreeing to an extent said that it made him feel safer where folks took to wearing the lanyard/ displaying the flag / whatever.

So I wonder if perhaps we’re asking the wrong people...

To have a visual display of support from “allies” must be a fillip on one hand whilst on the other showing the ouvert and perhaps more important covert racists the strength of feeling and support against such prejudices.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    On a different m, yet similar theme I posted on my Fb about views on wearing of rainbow lanyards during gay pride. My thought that whilst it’s great there needs to be more than a token display, a slogan or hashtag.

My friend whilst agreeing to an extent said that it made him feel safer where folks took to wearing the lanyard/ displaying the flag / whatever.

To have a visual display of support from “allies” must be a fillip on one hand whilst on the other showing the ouvert and perhaps more important covert racists the strength of feeling and support against such prejudices.
    That’s a thoughtful point..those affected should be the voice that we listen most to on these topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post

Until the first gay player actually feels comfortable enough to come out, I think the rainbow lanyards will always have a limited effect. That’s the thing, there’s a lot of talk of how society has moved on from prejudice, but it really hasn’t. It’s insane that the extent of gay footballers being open about their sexuality was Justin Fashanu in 1990.

Maybe one day we'll actually reflect upon and rail against the fact that Britain has been openly discriminatory against Catholics and here in Scotland against those of a Hibs/Celtic persuasion for a very long time and continues to albeit it has been better of late thanks to latterly enlightened politics. Taking the knee deflects from this as its specific only to one minority. Maybe I'm too forthright.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    That’s a thoughtful point..those affected should be the voice that we listen most to on these topics.
    Agreed that’s a very valid point.

Agreed that’s a very valid point.
    Next you'll be saying anti catholicism here in Scotland isn't or hasn't ever been a thing . Its been 100 per cent more of a discriminatory historic murderous issue than racism for many many a year. Nae worries Scouse. You go and have a cup of tea with your mason fiends.

Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Next you'll be saying anti catholicism here in Scotland isn't or hasn't ever been a thing . Its been 100 per cent more of a discriminatory historic murderous issue than racism for many many a year. Nae worries Scouse. You go and have a cup of tea with your mason fiends.
    Wow!

I won’t be saying anything of the sort, religion and football don’t mix for me, never have.

Is this now becoming personal? You’ll be asking my religion next 😂

I don’t drink tea, not that it’s got anything to do with you who my friends are!
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 19-10-2020 at 11:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I agree it will be losing impact - but is it really tiresome for the 15 seconds or so it takes ?
    I would say so.

I consider myself anti-racist but have found myself wondering WTF is going on with the taking the knee thing seeming to go on indefinitely with no clear objective (eg as a protest against a specific policy). I think it was quite touching in the moment - like as a tribute to the victims - but that moment has long since past and it now just seems peculiar.

On another note, even though we have a very small black population, the BLM movement has had some local impact in Edinburgh as we've been moved to question the status of the elevated statue in St Andrew's Square of Henry Dundas - a man said to have been responsible for extending the legality of the slave trade for an extra 30 years. If that really is true then I would be very happy for the statue to be removed - but if that debate and others like it are just forgotten again then all the taking of the knee stuff is really just so much lip service.

Wow!

Is this now becoming personal?

I don’t drink tea, not that it’s got anything to do with you who my friends are!
    Aye it is becoming personal when you argue against my rightful catholic Hibs/Celtic minded posts by saying you have 'masonic' friends.

Masons are most normally bitter Rangers/Hearts anti catholic anti Hibs/Celtic.

I have many truthful stories of good folk being denied life optimum opportunities here in Scotland for the crime of being a Catholic or not one of them Masons/Rangers/Hearts.

Thankfully, Independence will reset that.

Wow!

I won’t be saying anything of the sort, religion and football don’t mix for me, never have.

Is this now becoming personal? You’ll be asking my religion next 😂

Take the ☕ ....

Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Aye it is becoming personal when you argue against my rightful catholic Hibs/Celtic minded posts by saying you have 'masonic' friends.

Masons are most normally bitter Rangers/Hearts anti catholic anti Hibs/Celtic.

I have many truthful stories of good folk being denied life optimum opportunities here in Scotland for the crime of being a Catholic or not one of them Masons/Rangers/Hearts.

Thankfully, Independence will reset that.

😂😂😂

Aye okay then!

Only in Scotland.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 20-10-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Take the ☕ ....
    I think someone has taken something stronger!

😂😂😂

Aye okay then!

Only in Scotland.
    Dearie me.

Nae worries.

Scouser.

First Team Regular GORDONSMITH7's Avatar
    Do you think that perhaps, using your logic, impact wise, we should gaffer tape over the slogan on the front of our strip at the end of this year perhaps.That is clearly me being rhetorical.

BIG G

Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post
    Do you think that perhaps, using your logic, impact wise, we should gaffer tape over the slogan on the front of our strip at the end of this year perhaps.That is clearly me being rhetorical.

BIG G
    No we shouldn't Big G. We should be going in ever stronger, harder then ever before. Our politicians are showing up as must we the Scottish folk lead against the British discrimination that has decimated our good folk. Good on you Big G.

I think someone has taken something stronger!
    Maybe you didn't even realise you've taken a Rupert Murdoch strategy against someone who took an opposite view to your 'mason' friends.

No I hadn't taken class A drugs. A News of the World strategy Scouse.

What has beset you?