hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the Knee

Taking the Knee

Is this still effective?

When it first happened it sent a very strong message, now, it just seems to be something players do at the start of a match and has little impact.

Time to drop this?

Completely agree with the message, just don’t think it is a powerful message anymore.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granty6_2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this still effective?

When it first happened it sent a very strong message, now, it just seems to be something players do at the start of a match and has little impact.

Time to drop this?

Completely agree with the message, just don’t think it is a powerful message anymore.
    Don't quote me, but I think it's to stop after October.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Couldn’t agree more.

Is this still effective?

Time to drop this?

I personally agree.

Is this still effective?

Time to drop this?

I think any message loses its power when it becomes routine. The clap for NHS springs to mind where it had a hugely positive and educational impact but probably stopped at the right time before engagement began to drop off.

If taking the knee is coming to a conclusion at the end of October that seems a good point (end of Black History Month) to end this particular initiative. That doesn't mean that different initiatives shouldn't replace it to keep the issue at the forefront of peoples minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    I think any message loses its power when it becomes routine. The clap for NHS springs to mind where it had a hugely positive and educational impact but probably stopped at the right time before engagement began to drop off.

If taking the knee is coming to a conclusion at the end of October that seems a good point (end of Black History Month) to end this particular initiative. That doesn't mean that different initiatives shouldn't replace it to keep the issue at the forefront of peoples minds.
    Very good post.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Is this still effective?

Time to drop this?

I agree, it’s like the notice that is left too long on a notice board.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There needs to be more than simply taking the knee. Whilst it raises awareness there needs to be action.

But whilst gross inequalities remain, what else other than taking the knee serves as a reminder?

Whilst the devolution/Scottish Parliament Was unresolved did the caravan pack up and go home?

Not too sure where I stand on this.

Whilst on one hand I think it’s a token gesture, and the real change needs to take place between folks ears and within companies and institutions, to dissolve it kinda almost negates it unless we’ve got commitment and mechanisms in place to tackle racism in sport seems a bit disingenuous. That no longer will racist abuse from the terrace be overlooked and targets reprimanded for threatening to walk off (boy did they drag their heels on that!)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Breakthrough Max_Shah's Avatar
    We “take a knee” for a minute.

Football match continues unabated.

We discuss tactics, subs, boring no-score draws and refs on our forums.

As a 2nd generation "person of colour" I simply cannot understand how such a minuscule gesture can cause offense.

My experience of the Hibernian community in Edinburgh is we are all welcome irrespective of Roy Race, class, gender [or lack thereof], religion or realpolitick.

Perhaps I am missing something - the letter Q springs to mind. - Holy Ground beckons and I have no interest in anything other than Hibernian FC.

First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Dave's Avatar
    What gets me just now is that on broadcast games the period that the players take the knee is treated by commentators as if it were a minute’s silence. Surely that’s the time to be talking about inequality or change that has or should happen in the game or at the very least why they’re doing it.

I agree with an earlier sentiment about it becoming routine and just ‘the done thing’ and therefore in no way related to it’s initial meaning of protest. It’s actually in danger of diluting the message without people being made to understand why it’s being done.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Shah View Post

As a 2nd generation "person of colour" I simply cannot understand how such a minuscule gesture can cause offense.

My experience of the Hibernian community in Edinburgh is we are all welcome irrespective of Roy Race, class, gender [or lack thereof], religion or realpolitick.

Perhaps I am missing something - the letter Q springs to mind. - Holy Ground beckons and I have no interest in anything other than Hibernian FC.

It doesn’t cause offence but the message is diminishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Shah View Post

Who said it causes offence?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Who said it causes offence?
    I recall some West of Scotland football supporters taking offence on twitter

What is offensive is that in this day and age we still need to point out that 'black lives matter'! If there is one thing I hate about the game I love it is how it is still a safe haven for those who want to spout their racist, homophobic, sectarian bile. Taking the knee might be a gesture but its also a statement, its just a shame the fans aren't in the grounds to see it....its a statement to all those who would be racist that they are not welcome and the game has had enough.
    If players need to take the knee for another 50 years to come so be it, but when they stop I hope its because 'black lives matter' is self evident to everyone and this beautiful game has caught up with the rest of society.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post
    I was talking about on this thread, those Neanderthals are no yardstick to judge anything by.

I think (in Scotland anyway) it stops at end of this month. Sure i read somewhere this was because they wanted the lower league clubs to have the opportunity to take part/be included.

Has anyone noticed that the actual duration of "Taking The Knee" is getting shorter? The TV cameras almost missed the act at the start of the ****bos match on friday.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    An observation is that it seems to be a lot of people (not on here, specifically but across social media) who think it’s about time to stop taking the knee are people who the reason (for taking the knee) doesn’t really affect.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’d keep it. Whilst I’d agree it’s message is sort of diminished in that you don’t watch it now and really take notice of the actual act, it’s still a televised moment before every single televised game where you’ll always be reminded of why it’s being done and the issues people of colour face.

I think shortening the length of time has done it no favours, players retying their boots before a free kick takes longer

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post

If it annoys them then that is a very good reason to keep it going in perpetuity no?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Annoyed with myself I was lost for words earlier.

I think I can summarise as this:

If recent events have taught us anything it’s that “we’re all Jock Tamson’s Bairns” needs to be more than just words. And if taking the knee stops us from sinking into complacency thinking we didn’t/ don’t have a problem here (we’re mistaken) then it’s serving a purpose.

l’ve been fortunate to see the strength through diversity. But perhaps I needed to get away from Scotland to see it? which I find incredibly sad although things appear to be changing a little. I married a girl from a different culture and some of the treatment that’s been received over the 20 years in Scotland (whilst few and far between) has however been shameful.

So my hope for a new Scotland is one of inclusion and tolerance of people, culture, background, lifestyle, ability or disability. As Tim Booth sings “There’s only one human race, many faces, everybody belongs here. “
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Taking the Knee

They are just going through the motions s now Ask Kevin Harper what real effect it’s having behind the scenes and you heat his frustration at lack of opportunities and lack of progress in addressing deep rooted issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The message can’t be forgotten, so no, I hope players continue to take the knee.

Racism still happens every single day, so if sending our solidarity every match day means that we don’t start getting complacent about tackling racism, I’m absolutely in favour.

Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    The message can’t be forgotten, so no, I hope players continue to take the knee.

Racism still happens every single day, so if sending our solidarity every match day means that we don’t start getting complacent about tackling racism, I’m absolutely in favour.
    Add to that, not to attack our own fan base, but the fact that we’ve had two high profile incidents of racism from our own in derbies in as many years gives us extra reason to do all we can to send the message.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If it keeps it in the consciousness of the public then it should continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That’s the point though, I’m not so sure it does, the longer it goes on it just becomes something that happens before a game without the actual reason for it being recognised.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It’s continuing to raise awareness for the movement and promote its desired message.

This thread in itself being posted a few months into Scottish footballers “taking the knee” is an example of that.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    That’s the point though, I’m not so sure it does, the longer it goes on it just becomes something that happens before a game without the actual reason for it being recognised.
    Surely it happens so it’s a reminder every time. Ok the point might get glossed over but as long as it keeps happening it will remain in the heads of the people that see it.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I’m not sure it is either. It’s like the renaming of streets or the NHS key workers, it’s had its 15 minutes in public conscious and the general public has shifted its focus onto the next thing. That’s not to say racism isn’t still an issue but I feel that taking the knee has become normalised and as such it’s actual message has been lost.

I’d stop it. I would however like to see the debates on all the various football analysis cover the subject a couple of times a week. Gary Neville and co debating representation of minorities in the game and in the supports, guests sharing their experiences of racism in their career etc. I think that would be more relatable and have a bigger impact.