hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Taking the Knee

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Matty, it’s a bold uncomfortable message you have taken on this thread. I applaud it. Many will disagree and push back, but the essence of the points you make are so right in my view. Those affected by racism are those who should shape the next steps, not white scottish males.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that’s appreciated.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Great post and last sentence especially.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Miles off and frankly pretty uncalled for and not at all in keeping with what I or anyone else has been saying. Lost a lot of respect for you that you've gone down that route and seem to think it is fine.
    I can live with that.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The gesture serves as a reminder that it's still an issue. I hope they continue to do it. Every game.

I don't get the 'out of scale' point, football should do something but just not as much as it's doing? Is that about right? Others are doing less so football should also do less?

The other point I'd make is that, in the spirit of the gesture, we should be very careful about who gets to decide when it's run its course.
    Having spent the last half hour reading through the thread I feel that this and your earlier point

"Run along now, black people and that, we've played a long a bit but frankly we find it tedious now, so we've decided that you've had long enough to make your stand. You've not changed anything in the couple of months you've been allowed to do this so it's clearly a waste of all our time, so just go back to being shot at and that until we let you have another go at it"

I have to say that I haven't been in agreement with something as much as this for a long time. Great posts Matty.

Interestingly enough I was discussing the BLM movement recently disappearing from the top mainstream media reports with a colleague who was genuinely surprised that in top flight football people were still taking the knee. It raises a point that those who are unaware of the continued reason behind it are probably forgetting the message it represents or am I way off base there?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    Having spent the last half hour reading through the thread I feel that this and your earlier point

"Run along now, black people and that, we've played a long a bit but frankly we find it tedious now, so we've decided that you've had long enough to make your stand. You've not changed anything in the couple of months you've been allowed to do this so it's clearly a waste of all our time, so just go back to being shot at and that until we let you have another go at it"

I have to say that I haven't been in agreement with something as much as this for a long time. Great posts Matty.

Interestingly enough I was discussing the BLM movement recently disappearing from the top mainstream media reports with a colleague who was genuinely surprised that in top flight football people were still taking the knee. It raises a point that those who are unaware of the continued reason behind it are probably forgetting the message it represents or am I way off base there?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that’s much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    “Yeah - see now that Black History Month thingy is over let’s forget about this ‘take the knee’ stuff” imagine....
    I haven't seen anyone making that point on here so don't really know who you are meant to be quoting... unless you've made up an imaginary quote to suit your own argument!

In my post on page 1, I said I felt that taking the knee had lost its initial impact and that the end of BLM month seemed to me to be a good point to end this particular initiative. That didn't mean that different initiatives shouldn't replace it to keep the issue at the forefront of people's minds.

Any disagreement on this thread is on how effective taking the knee is if it's done over a prolonged period of time and whether that longevity reduces its impact. It's a pity that some people are choosing to interpret that legitimate viewpoint as something else.

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    I'd like to know what they do. Please tell me. PM if you like.

PM sent

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Matty has - not for the first time - perfectly summed up my feelings on this issue.

A study has been conducted which sadly, and unsurprisingly, shows racist abuse of players on social media rises when they comment about racism, whether this is their own experiences or on a wider scale.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=774073400054179

I honestly don't understand the mindset of these people. And I don't think I ever will. Why is their first response when a person of colour talks about being on the receiving end of racism to attack them? I don't understand why when someone says 'this has happened to me' or 'this needs to change' they discount it or adopt whataboutism. You will see it on any article about Black History Month for example.

And I'm not even talking about your EDL or Britain First knuckle dragger, I mean people who you would think were an average man or woman who have adopted this mindset.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    A study has been conducted which sadly, and unsurprisingly, shows racist abuse of players on social media rises when they comment about racism, whether this is their own experiences or on a wider scale.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=774073400054179

I honestly don't understand the mindset of these people. And I don't think I ever will. Why is their first response when a person of colour talks about being on the receiving end of racism to attack them? I don't understand why when someone says 'this has happened to me' or 'this needs to change' they discount it or adopt whataboutism. You will see it on any article about Black History Month for example.

And I'm not even talking about your EDL or Britain First knuckle dragger, I mean people who you would think were an average man or woman who have adopted this mindset.
    It's brutal, I have no idea why folk feel the need to do stuff like that. Like jumping in with "all lives matter" or "white lives matter" in response to BLM. Some of it is ignorance - I think the very first time I saw the BLM slogan I thought "actually, all lives matter would be better" but then you read about it and hopefully understand why it's not better, it's completely inappropriate.

As for abusing people, I don't get it at all. Imagine being so insecure about yourself that you can't even let someone talk about their own experiences of being on the receiving end of racism.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's brutal, I have no idea why folk feel the need to do stuff like that. Like jumping in with "all lives matter" or "white lives matter" in response to BLM. Some of it is ignorance - I think the very first time I saw the BLM slogan I thought "actually, all lives matter would be better" but then you read about it and hopefully understand why it's not better, it's completely inappropriate.

As for abusing people, I don't get it at all. Imagine being so insecure about yourself that you can't even let someone talk about their own experiences of being on the receiving end of racism.
    Can only imagine it’s the algorithms dudes. (Have you seen the Social Dilemma on Nextflix?) the easiest thing to do to get traffic is to say something outrageous. You reaping it just perpetuates it.

Between trolls and bots and wind-up merchants, I really have come to the conclusion that by and large it’s a mugs game to take most things online seriously. The conversations played out here just wouldn’t happen down the pub (if they were open!).

We really have created a monster and I don’t by the crocodile tears of some of the shirkers on the Social Dilemma documentary - the Facebook Monetisation guy - sorry THAT is on you!

The most beneficial and radical thing you can have your kids do is unplug them from this sheet. “Friends”, “likes”, “followers”, self proclaimed “influencers” all hollow concepts warped from the reality. Many years ago now I met a lecturer who taught leadership. His class thought Jordan was a leader as she had 2M followers online. Billy Connolly would have a field day (remember when he tore into “lifestyle experts”?!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    I haven't seen anyone making that point on here so don't really know who you are meant to be quoting... unless you've made up an imaginary quote to suit your own argument!

In my post on page 1, I said I felt that taking the knee had lost its initial impact and that the end of BLM month seemed to me to be a good point to end this particular initiative. That didn't mean that different initiatives shouldn't replace it to keep the issue at the forefront of people's minds.

Any disagreement on this thread is on how effective taking the knee is if it's done over a prolonged period of time and whether that longevity reduces its impact. It's a pity that some people are choosing to interpret that legitimate viewpoint as something else.
    The clue is in “ Can you imagine...”. I was of course being hypothetical.
    Twist my argument if you like but further than this clarification I’m out.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 22-10-2020 at 10:02 AM.