hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only football could make such a James Hunt of this. Cricket, tennis, American football, rugby union and league all have successfully managed to use technology to enhance the games and to make sure the correct decisions are made. Football though seems to have been able to make it worse!
    When you look at the rugby aspect, they have fairly clear rules, and everything through the TMO is done by the naked eye. None of this drawing lines etc. The referee gives his verdict and if they can’t find clear evidence to overturn that then it sticks. Football should be far more like this. Flag up serious foul play/violent conduct breaches, for offsides allow the referee to decide based on the naked eye, and go with the referees decision unless their is clear evidence to oppose that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    When you look at the rugby aspect, they have fairly clear rules, and everything through the TMO is done by the naked eye. None of this drawing lines etc. The referee gives his verdict and if they can’t find clear evidence to overturn that then it sticks. Football should be far more like this. Flag up serious foul play/violent conduct breaches, for offsides allow the referee to decide based on the naked eye, and go with the referees decision unless their is clear evidence to oppose that.
    Totally agree with that. Need to bin the offside lines and millimetres offside like Mane.

First Team Breakthrough
    American football and rugby have it right. Once a decision has been made there needs to be overwhelming evidence that the decision was wrong. Last night a touchdown was given but the player maybe didn't get his second foot down. He probably didn't, but the evidence wasn't strong enough to overturn the decision made on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The offside from yesterday I can live with, only because I have seen plenty of similar decisions via VAR. What I can’t comprehend is the lack of action against Pickford.
    Totally agree red every day of the week.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Rules of football are not clear cut enough to benefit from VAR in a positive way as sports like rugby, cricket and tennis do.

A lot of decisions are interpretations and down to matter of opinion rather than fact, and let’s face it, when you have to forensically examine certain incidents or get the protractors and rulers our to measure minute fractions for offsides it isn’t really sport any more.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The offside from yesterday I can live with, only because I have seen plenty of similar decisions via VAR. What I can’t comprehend is the lack of action against Pickford.
    Yes this - whilst not as pressing as some of the stuff in the English game always think of how the womens world cup desended into farce about goalkeepers standing on the line at penalties, when the scottish keeper 'saved' the argentine penalty the Scottish defender who cleared the ball was completely taken out in a really nasty late two footed challenge out by the touchline. This technically didn't happen (as did a possible increasing support for Scottish womens football due to our dramatic qualification for the second phase)

a new tactic in football soon will be for teams drawing or a goal down in the 93 minute to load the box and hail mary the ball into it, then all the attackers will run into the defenders and fall down VAR will find something wrong and give a penalty. equally as another poster said footballers will stop celebrating goals until given the all clear...Imaging the wait in 2016.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Gary Holt is a VAR Fud

Big big no for me. Mistakes are part of football. We've been victim of some horrendous decisions but you man up and take it on the chin and it's forgotten about pretty quickly. This stop start pish isn't for me. That Liverpool decision was rediculous. If I followed an English side I'd be scunnered with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Big big no for me. Mistakes are part of football. We've been victim of some horrendous decisions but you man up and take it on the chin and it's forgotten about pretty quickly. This stop start pish isn't for me. That Liverpool decision was rediculous. If I followed an English side I'd be scunnered with it.
    Not for me VAR takes out some of the corruption claims out of the game. There is no doubt it has problems and these have to be worked on. However it must be better to have more correct decisions.

It’s the uncertainty after a goal is scored that annoys me and is killing the game IMO. A goal isn’t a goal anymore; it just triggers a period of uncertainty after which a goal may or may not be awarded.

Until AI reaches the point where 100% accurate VAR decisions can be made in real-time with no disruption to the game then it should be binned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Not for me VAR takes out some of the corruption claims out of the game. There is no doubt it has problems and these have to be worked on. However it must be better to have more correct decisions.
    Yep three Derby decisions come to mind. 2012 penalty, Griff free kick and Jordan Forster 5 yards onside goal which went a long way to putting us down. God we got shafted round about that time, personally think something was up.

Do away with VAR. It's not appropriate for football which is a game that needs to flow unlike other high profile sports that have constant breaks as part of the game.

Let's revert to the traditional Swings and Roundabouts system in which refs get regular eye tests at Specsavers!

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Pickford won't face further punishment ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54601721

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yep three Derby decisions come to mind. 2012 penalty, Griff free kick and Jordan Forster 5 yards onside goal which went a long way to putting us down. God we got shafted round about that time, personally think something was up.
    I think goal line technology would have worked for some of them rather than VAR.

I experienced it at the woman's World Cup and left feeling we were better without it. Made it too stop start.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post

And rightly so, should have been dealt with at the time but wasn’t so we move on.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm supportive of VAR but I think it needs to be improved. A lot of issues aren't the fault of VAR, it's the guidelines put in place.

The rules haven't been updated to take into account VAR, so you have regulations built around 1 ref and 2 assistants rather than embracing and adapting to the advantages of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post

Nor should he. The day we start examining every game retrospectively is the day football dies.

I don't remember the same public outcry for retrospective action and bans when Eduardo, Diaby, Ramsey,and Rosicky were all brutally injured within a few years of eachother by teams kicking Arsenal. The narrative then was Arsenal needed to toughen up.

Fwiw, these brutal tackles should be punished. 5 game bans for challenges like Pickford's would sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Nor should he. The day we start examining every game retrospectively is the day football dies.
    Mate, it's been happening for years?? Compliance officer??

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Today’s game proves this system is a farce. Clear penalty for Chelsea not given. Hand ball in the lead up to West Ham goal, last week it’s a foul, this week it’s not. The referee doesn’t go and have a look, why?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Today’s game proves this system is a farce. Clear penalty for Chelsea not given. Hand ball in the lead up to West Ham goal, last week it’s a foul, this week it’s not. The referee doesn’t go and have a look, why?
    Penalty against Liverpool only checked inside or outside, not whether it was a foul or not 😂 crazy.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I’m no fan of VAR but another angle showed there was no handball by West Ham and I think the one given against Liverpool was a penalty. An opponent can still be deemed to have fouled the attacker even if he wins the ball. Agree with you that VAR should have picked up the foul by Maguire in the United v Chelsea game.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I’m no fan of VAR but another angle showed there was no handball by West Ham and I think the one given against Liverpool was a penalty. An opponent can still be deemed to have fouled the attacker even if he wins the ball. Agree with you that VAR should have picked up the foul by Maguire in the United v Chelsea game.
    Not when you win the ball as clearly as Fabinho did. It’s a contact sport, he slides in from the side on the floor and clearly plays the ball. If that’s a foul then every single tackle that makes any contact with a player is, and we know that’s nonsense.

The problem here is that VAR didn’t even look at the foul. Only whether it was inside or outside and that’s wrong. Should be looking at the whole action and determining if it was a penalty or not.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The only VAR that would work is decisions that are ratified and confirmed within 10 seconds of the incident happening, wholly by the assistant referee. No massive delay, no decision being overturned long after a goal is scored and no referee spending 5 minutes looking at every conceivable ****ing angle.

An incident happens, the referee makes a decision, VAR has ten seconds to inform him differently. Can't do it in ten, the decision stands. If the decision is overturned, he doesn't have a say in it. End of.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    The only VAR that would work is decisions that are ratified and confirmed within 10 seconds of the incident happening, wholly by the assistant referee. No massive delay, no decision being overturned long after a goal is scored and no referee spending 5 minutes looking at every conceivable ****ing angle.

An incident happens, the referee makes a decision, VAR has ten seconds to inform him differently. Can't do it in ten, the decision stands. If the decision is overturned, he doesn't have a say in it. End of.
    Sounds fair to me but how many decisions against Sevco and Celtic would take over 10 seconds while they would be rushed into making mistakes when it suits.

Lacazette goal disallowed when Xhaka was nowhere near the goalies line of sight either.