hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Var

@hibs.net private member

Var

Watching the highlights of the Everton match and it reminds me why I am against VAR.

Imagine us scoring a winning goal in injury time in a derby and it being disallowed by a bawhair.

The whole setup has left more questions than answers.

Is anyone still in favour of it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Lots of people are in favour. It needs work but surely getting more decisions correct is a food thing and taking the decision away from one man helps with corruption.

France's penalty in the world cup final was never a penalty. It's a flawed system because it still comes down to human judgement, and humans are, well, human.

@hibs.net private member
    For me it should only be used for hugely wrong decisions. Disallowing a goal because the striker was 0.1 inches offside may technically be correct but it’s killing the game, just like the stupid hand ball rule.

Don't like var and wouldn't thank you for it.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me it should only be used for hugely wrong decisions. Disallowing a goal because the striker was 0.1 inches offside may technically be correct but it’s killing the game, just like the stupid hand ball rule.
    If you're having to draw lines and look where peoples elbows, toes, nose, hair etc. are to determine if it's offside, it's not offside.

If you're going to be ruling out goals etc, it needs to be CLEAR evidence for overturning the decision.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    If you're having to draw lines and look where peoples elbows, toes, nose, hair etc. are to determine if it's offside, it's not offside.

If you're going to be ruling out goals etc, it needs to be CLEAR evidence for overturning the decision.
    That is where I am with it but leads to the problem of what is clear.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Yep. Obvious decisions fair enough, but if your talking about having to replay several times to determine whether a a player was a fraction of an inch offside that could never have been seen by the naked eye, nah. It takes away all the raw emotion of enjoying a goal when its been scored. Glad we dont have it here, even if he does go against us.

VAR is a mess on all fronts, fan experience, accuracy of decisions (offsides at least) and it simply creates more controversy than we had before.

Now we just talk about VAR after a game rather than the referees decisions in real time (right or wrong). It's exactly the same as before haha

Liverpool should ask for a still shot of the image(s) that led to the offside decision today. I'd like to see it myself.....

Would I be correct in saying that it was Henderson's elbow that was in an offside position? If so then the goal should have stood as I thought the rule was you are offside if any part of your body from which you can score a goal with is offside however you cant score a goal with your elbow because then it would be handball and not offside, again I may be completely wrong on all points

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    Would I be correct in saying that it was Henderson's elbow that was in an offside position? If so then the goal should have stood as I thought the rule was you are offside if any part of your body from which you can score a goal with is offside however you cant score a goal with your elbow because then it would be handball and not offside, again I may be completely wrong on all points

It wasn't Henderson who was classed as offside.

Yeah I've since read it was made, the point still stands he couldn't have been offside because of his elbow as you cant score with your arm

Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    Yeah I've since read it was mane, the point still stands he couldn't have been offside because of his elbow as you cant score with your arm

First Team Breakthrough
    Leighs goal against hearts all for var if its used the right way

Other countries don’t seem to have the problems England do. Germany and Italy seem to use it more for “clear and obvious errors” which I believe is what the rules dictated. So that Liverpool goal would stand in those leagues

In the EPL their approach is bizarre and leads to all these goals being disallowed that nobody would even claim are offside.

How has Mane gained any advantage yesterday? Is there even any explicit proof that any part of him was offside? What is the margin for error there? It’s ruining the game in England

Yes, very much in favour of it. VAR doesn't make decisions, the refs operating it do. Been very few problems in other countries with it.

Offsides should be more clear cut and like yesterday's it should've been a goal, when it's so marginal the decision should go to the attacker.

I have been in favour of it from the very beginning but they are causing so much controversy from being inconsistent with decisions that I’m starting to get fed up of it. Hopefully they can come up with a solution to cover the cracks and it can be a good addition to the game.

If it was to be abolished you can just guarantee that a clear offside will cost a team a cup final or something major and then the calls to have it reintroduced will be there.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    That is where I am with it but leads to the problem of what is clear.
    Also, offside is digital. It’s off or it’s not.

There can be no margins. If there is, what would the margin be? 5cm, clear light?

It’s a tough one.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    The double Handball v Falkirk at home in the Championship playoffs.

Clear VAR Penalty.

J

Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd last season the ball was clearly over the line for all to see but goal line technology wasn’t working.. VAR official could easily have told the ref it was a goal within seconds. I know that VAR doesn’t cover this but if it’s there to help the referee with clear and obvious mistakes why not get involved? That ultimately cost Bournemouth relegation.

Another small thing, yesterday it was a clear corner to Arsenal in the last minute of injury time, we could all see it from the replay within seconds. VAR could have again put a whisper into the ref’s ear to let him know it was a corner by the time the goalkeeper even put the ball down for a goal kick.

These are of course just my views on how it could be more helpful.

Cricket, rugby and the NFL all have something similar without the same issues that football has.

The solution is to limit the time spent and number of times each angle can be viewed, because that way any decision which is clearly wrong will be identified and the marginal decisions will stay with the call on the pitch.

None of this "the player was offside because, on the thirty seventh viewing and at 200x magnification, the wind blew the player's hair forward to the extent that it obscures a pixel of a line drawn where a computer thinks a line should be". Meanwhile half the fans have left to catch the last bus/train home.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Offsides should be more clear cut and like yesterday's it should've been a goal, when it's so marginal the decision should go to the attacker.
    Yep there should be some sort of tolerance built into the system offside by millimetres is nonsense.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    The double Handball v Falkirk at home in the Championship playoffs.

Clear VAR Penalty.

J

Oli Shaw goal at tinpotcastle tae

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Also, offside is digital. It’s off or it’s not.

There can be no margins. If there is, what would the margin be? 5cm, clear light?

It’s a tough one.

J
    Surely the main problem is that when a goal is scored, the VAR folks are automatically looking for a reason to disallow it. That cannot be right. Not only for an offside decision, but for anything that can be used to rule that the goal shouldn't stand, hand ball, a push or a shove, a foul tackle in the build up etc etc

But we never see VAR used when players are diving all over the place when there is the most minimal of contact. A physically strong athlete falling on the ground with the same force as a 5 year old bumping into him - "the young lad made contact with me in the tea and coffee aisle, therefore I was entitled to go down" If that's not bringing the game into disrepute, what is?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    That would have been goal line technology rather than VAR. Definitely in favour of that because it is not subjective.

@hibs.net private member
    Is the solution perhaps a time limit on the decision being made?

if it’s glaringly obvious you will see it within 30 secs, if it’s a bawhair and you need 2-3 mins then it’s too close to call and therefore allowed to stand.

also means it keeps the flow of the game and fans can countdown to the goal being allowed or whatever. Adds a bit of excitement

I'm not sure how you fix the offside issues that VAR has.

As someone pointed out earlier, the main problem is that the existing system does not appear to take account of margin for error. The lines are drawn by a person clicking where they think it should go, the angle of the lines is estimated, the cameras might not be the perfect angle, a person has to estimate the frame in which the ball leaves the foot of the passer, the list could go on and on...

Everything above points to there being a reasonable margin for error on both of the lines that get drawn on the screen, attacker and defender. The visual effect of this would be that the lines are actually much thicker and the "real line" would land somewhere within that line but no one knows for sure.

With all of that in mind, how can anyone disallow a goal by a millimetre using VAR and call it anything other than arbitrary guesswork?

They should just do away with it and revert to the old swings and roundabouts. Keep the goalline technology though!