hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Ross County 17102020)

Like me and I suspect every Hibs fan that watched the game, I’m sure Jack Ross will be a disappointed manager tonight. Hibs could and should have scored around five goals, but poor finishing meant the away scoreline was blank. County might argue they had a couple of decent chances too, but I can only recall Rocky having to make one save of any note.

With most of his first team squad available again, Ross went with a 3-5-2 formation; McGinn and Hanlon either side of Porteous; Boyle, Gogic, Newell, Magennis and Stevenson in the midfield with Doidge and Nisbet up front.

It is no exaggeration to say Hibs could have had three goals in the opening twelve minutes or so. Firstly, Newell played Boyle in, but squirrel couldn’t sort his feet out and his effort was defected wide. Moments later, Magennis cut in from the left and sent a glorious right footed drive that looked destined for the top corner, but the ball struck the post and was cleared. Another stunning through ball from Newell had Boyle through one on one with the keeper but the Hibs man screwed his effort wide of the post. Next came a series of blocks by County defenders with Hanlon and Newell amongst those thwarted.

The County goal was leading a charmed life but to be fair to the hosts they weathered the storm and began to enjoy some possession of their own. Gardyne and the impressive Lakin saw efforts sail high over the bar whilst Gogic sent in a header that Doohan saved easily.

It was not until the game was approaching the break that Marciano was called into action when he saved a strongly hit shot from Lakin. For most of the game up until that point, Joe Newell had been fouled more than any other of the visitors and it was ironic that Joe was then booked for a foul no worse than many he had suffered.

Neither side made any changes for the second half starting and it was Hibs that tried to take the upper hand again but Nisbet and Doidge just couldn’t get a decent shot away or a header on target. County produced a couple of efforts, but both went harmlessly wide.

Just past the hour mark, Jack Ross replaced a tiring Kyle Magennis with Stevie Mallan and the newcomer almost had an instant impact on proceedings when he found Doidge inside the area, but the big striker failed to properly test Doohan. Another Mallan pass allowed Nisbet to get a shot away but uncharacteristically, the striker shot well wide of the target. Then, Paton headed wide as County began to impose their play a little more before a Mallan effort was pushed away and the inrushing Lewis Stevenson sent an effort over the bar. Next, Lewis picked out Nisbet with a fine pass but once again the striker failed to make anything of the opportunity.

With around ten minutes remaining, a long clearance following a County corner, saw former Hearts man Connor Randall badly misjudge the flight of the ball and as Boyle threatened to run free, Randall hauled him down. Referee Nick Walsh was quick to show a red card and rightly so as Boyle would have had a free run on goal. Interestingly, Walsh had been pretty quick with his cards and only he could explain why Ross Stewart was not booked for simulation in trying to win a penalty. That lack of a correct decision had more relevance later, after Stewart scythed Boyle down to earn a yellow that should in fact have meant a red.

Hibs were trying to pressure the home side and I am convinced we should have had a penalty when Nisbet was about to shoot but had his feet taken from him by Charles-Cook. It looked pretty clear to me but not to Nick Walsh.

Late attempts from Hanlon, Doidge and Boyle came to nothing and Hibs had to settle for a point when all three should have been in the bag. The only consolation for me was that Aberdeen also dropped two points and given that they are our closest rivals for third place, the damage was limited.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had little to do if truth be told and as I said earlier, I can recall only one save of any note.

McGinn – Paul had a fine game and proved that he’s a pretty decent footballer with a solid defensive display and a worthy contribution going forward too.

Porteous – Ryan was solid for the most part although a couple of scary passes increased my heart rate. Late in the game he was felled in an off the ball incident on the edge of their box, but Walsh missed it, unsurprisingly.

Hanlon – A rock, as usual, Paul also found time to venture forward, especially in the second half.

Boyle – Martin could have had a hat trick today but missing the target when through one on one not once but twice was pretty poor.

Gogic – Gave his usual energetic display and as is usually the case with him, stopped a number of attacking opposition moves in their tracks.

Newell – Joe was kicked upside down today but was on his feet often enough for me to earn my man of the match award. He was very creative, with several excellent passes as well as showing great stamina, and a willingness to put his foot in when required.

Magennis – Kyle started the game really well and was unlucky that his curling right foot effort had the goalie beaten but came back off the post.

Stevenson – Did his job very well, as usual and got forward when he could. One particular pass down the line to Kevin Nisbet was as good as any struck by our more creative players.

Doidge – Nothing really came off for the big man today and I get the feeling he needs a goal or two to get his mojo going again.

Nisbet – Nothing went right for Kevin today and as a result he turned in a below par performance. The good news is, he’ll be back at it again next week.

Mallan – I thought Stevie contributed well in his time on the park with two or three very telling passes that might have led to goals but for the recipients being under par today.

Gullan – Hammer only got about ten minutes all told so had little opportunity to really make a mark.

Jack Ross – Will, I expect, have mixed feelings as his team kept a clean sheet away from home but really should have been travelling back with three points.

Nick Walsh – A poor performance from a poor referee. Missed the Stewart simulation booking and the Nisbet penalty shout along with a whole host of other infringements.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

scunnered, thats how I feel, on the bright side Joe Newall again showed he is a great asset to the team and a point is a point. Thanks for the report, your work is always appreciated JB

@hibs.net private member
    Many thanks for this, another great piece of reporting.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    👍🏿

Brilliant!!

@hibs.net private member
    Genuinely appreciate you doing this every week. Always know we'll get a sensible, measured and accurate report of the game (in contrast to often guff media reports, and knee-jerk fans' reactions). Very much appreciated - thanks.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers Jonnyboy.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Don’t understand how the fellah Charles-Cooke escaped a booking or more. A Shinnie-esque performance.

Thought today showed that we are too reliant on certain players (Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle) for our goals. They all had an off day today and it cost us.

They’ve got 12 of our 16 league goals. I think Doidge needs to start scoring a bit more regularly. But the rest of the squad have 4 goals between them which isn’t good enough over 11 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don’t understand how the fellah Charles-Cooke escaped a booking or more. A Shinnie-esque performance.
    Couldn't agree more. Must've had 5/6 fouls at least.

Should have been 3-0 up and out of sight after 20 mins. All things considered a point isn't disastrous after most of the team being apart for a couple of weeks. No ground lost on Aberdeen. Dissspointed we didn't win but just shows how well this group have done so far. Difficult game next week on the plastic pitch.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Must've had 5/6 fouls at least.
    Including two that were pretty wild.

Including two that were pretty wild.
    Genuinely thought it was a sponsors name on his shirt, as I tuned in late on in the game and he was fouling so much I didn’t think one player could get away with that many in one game 😂😂😂

He should have had at least 2 yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    He should have had at least 2 yellows.
    Definitely. Yet Hearts get penalties that very clearly hit off a players back. Nick Walsh was a disgrace today. Turned a blind eye to their constant fouling.

The positive is that we could and should have won the match. Too many times in the past after a nil nil draw up in places like Dingwall we barely deserved it. This time around we deserved the win but came away with a point instead. We're playing well enough, just need to find our shooting boots and the net that our play deserves.

Yep, he got away with murder.
    This is how it feels

Really liked what I saw of Magennis. Think he's going to become a big player for us.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I absolutely thought we were 4 at the back until Gullan came on for Stevenson with Gogic moving back right side with Hanlon the other side of Porteous. Both JC and Andy saying otherwise so I bow to them. I blame only watching on the telly box.

Charles Cooke before yesterday
    https://twitter.com/realmackaystv/st...855552?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I remember when Sloop John B used to do that as his warm up before every game

I also remember Charlie Cooke a very good player

Said on another thread I thought Ross County were dirty bassas leaving the boot in

No need

Ref should have been wise to it
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 18-10-2020 at 07:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I absolutely thought we were 4 at the back until Gullan came on for Stevenson with Gogic moving back right side with Hanlon the other side of Porteous. Both JC and Andy saying otherwise so I bow to them. I blame only watching on the telly box.
    It looks like a back 4 at times as when we have the ball Boyle pushes really high up the pitch and mcginn goes outwide to cover.

Quite a fluid system - noticed Hanlon making some adventurous runs as well with Stevenson dropping in to cover.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Really liked what I saw of Magennis. Think he's going to become a big player for us.
    Funny as I thought he really struggled to get involved (that shot apart). What he did do looked half decent but for me I thought it looked like he was not quite up to speed on where he should be at times.

I’m sure there is a ton more to come from him though and looking forward to him growing in influence in the middle of the park for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Funny as I thought he really struggled to get involved (that shot apart). What he did do looked half decent but for me I thought it looked like he was not quite up to speed on where he should be at times.

I’m sure there is a ton more to come from him though and looking forward to him growing in influence in the middle of the park for us.
    Would agree with this. Thought Mallan actually did well when he replaced him.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

I was surprised he started. When we signed him I thought he was still a few weeks from first team action.

He's done well given how long he's been out and his relative lack of game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    It looks like a back 4 at times as when we have the ball Boyle pushes really high up the pitch and mcginn goes outwide to cover.

Quite a fluid system - noticed Hanlon making some adventurous runs as well with Stevenson dropping in to cover.
    That's "Marauding International Wing Back Paul Hanlon" to give him his full title 😁

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Thanks for the report as ever Johnnyboy. It is a sign of how good your reports are and how poor the MSM is that when I miss a match, as I did at the weekend, I don't even bother to read the BBC or any of the newspaper sites, I just read your report. Always balanced and fair, but with a positive note and unlike the MSM you don't get the nanes of players wrong constantly.

much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I remember when Sloop John B used to do that as his warm up before every game

I also remember Charlie Cooke a very good player

Said on another thread I thought Ross County were dirty bassas leaving the boot in

No need

Ref should have been wise to it
    Vigurs is always likely to get sent of in every game he plays. Bad fouls, all sorts of professional fouls etc.
    Donaldson is never far away from messing up, giving away a penalty, scoring an og. Sadly for us he did okay on Saturday before being replaced.
    Their other players just work hard to close players down and make it difficult. As Iggy said Charles-Cooke was a bit wild but he managed to put our players off at the right times and stop them pulling the trigger. I thought Boyle was ahead of Cooke and should have stepped across him for his first chance. That would have shut Cooke out allowing him to get a clean shot off or Cooke would have gone through the back of him, knocking him over, giving away a penalty. As it was Cooke was able to jostle and peck from the side.

They generally played as we have to play against the old firm. Remember Rangers supporters had the real hump after the 2-2 draw saying Porteous and Hanlon should have been sent of for bad fouls etc. The truth was it was rubbish and wasn't the reason they didn't win.
    It's up to the big budget team to take their chances and on Saturday we didn't and it's up to the wee team to be a frustrating irritant which Charles-Cooke personified with his contribution. Ross Doohan also had a great game in their goal. Always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Kilmarnock next and we are the big team again.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Vigurs is always likely to get sent of in every game he plays. Bad fouls, all sorts of professional fouls etc
    Donaldson is never far away from messing up, giving away a penalty, scoring an og
    Their other players just work hard to close players down and make it difficult for them.
    They played as we have to play against the old firm.
    It was up to the big budget team to take their chances and we didn't.
    Difficult to argue with any of that

I was disappointed in Ross Stewart for them expected more

Kevin Nisbet left his shooting boots in the hoose

Big Christian Doidge just needs a goal to kick start his season

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Thanks for the report as ever Johnnyboy. It is a sign of how good your reports are and how poor the MSM is that when I miss a match, as I did at the weekend, I don't even bother to read the BBC or any of the newspaper sites, I just read your report. Always balanced and fair, but with a positive note and unlike the MSM you don't get the nanes of players wrong constantly.

much appreciated
    Same here. Thanks Jonny.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Difficult to argue with any of that

I was disappointed in Ross Stewart for them expected more

Kevin Nisbet left his shooting boots in the hoose

Big Christian Doidge just needs a goal to kick start his season
    Ross County played on the counter attack on Saturday and it suited Gardyne & Lakin but not Stewart. His attempt to get the penalty by falling down next to McGinn was desperate. Strangely he would probably have scored if he had been in the Hibs team. puts chances away well with head and feet but not sure what else he has in his game.

Nisbet had the one chance cleared off the line and the shot after Mallan found Doidge with a wonderful ball. Doidge did everything right, great first touch on the chest but the defender stuck like glue and stopped him getting an effective shot. The ball came off the keeper to Nisbet and he hit the ball too well on the volley and the keeper was in the right place. Credit to the keeper.

Think Boyles second miss was the key. That goes in and Ross County have to come out and play. Think we also missed Murphy. The smaller teams double up on Boyle and that becomes much more difficult to do with Murphy on the other side. He would have played instead of Magennis who made little impact other than his wonderful shot. Would have been inclined to have played Mallan for 60 minutes then given Magennis the last 30 minutes again.

I don't half miss going to the games and seeing pals at the match. Reduced to watching every agonising kick on the telly and analysing it to hell
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Ross County played on the counter attack on Saturday and it suited Gardyne & Lakin but not Stewart. His attempt to get the penalty by falling down next to McGinn was desperate. Strangely he would probably have scored if he had been in the Hibs team. puts chances away well with head and feet but not sure what else he has in his game.

Nisbet had the one chance cleared off the line and the shot after Mallan found Doidge with a wonderful ball. Doidge did everything right, great first touch on the chest but the defender stuck like glue and stopped him getting an effective shot. The ball came off the keeper to Nisbet and he hit the ball too well on the volley and the keeper was in the right place. Credit to the keeper.

Think Boyles second miss was the key. That goes in and Ross County have to come out and play. Think we also missed Murphy. The smaller teams double up on Boyle and that becomes much more difficult to do with Murphy on the other side. He would have played instead of Magennis who made little impact other than his wonderful shot. Would have been inclined to have played Mallan for 60 minutes then given Magennis the last 30 minutes again.

I don't half miss going to the games and seeing pals at the match. Reduced to watching every agonising kick on the telly and analysing it to hell
    I found myself looking at Ross Stewart and thinking ‘Brian Graham’

In fairness Stewart did put a shift in helping out his defence

There was one incident second half Nisbet got the ball just outside the box our left I was expecting him to curl it into the faraway top right postage stamp instead it trundled harmlessly across the deck to safety

Maybe I should stop playing FIFA ?