hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't think we'll start with two wide men when playing two up top (which is a given). Also - some of Newell's best attacking play has been when he has drifted out into wide areas and whipped some delightful balls into the box - and he's also made shooting opportunities for himself.

The team as it stands know their role and are pretty solid. I wouldn't be disrupting that and having the option of Murphy, Wright and Magennis from the bench would be very decent if the shape has to change/adapt.
    If we play four across the midfield I don’t see it being anything other than with two wide players. Whenever we’ve played with a four this season that’s what we’ve done. It’s pretty much flipped between that and back three all season so I don’t see it being too much different next week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If we play four across the midfield I don’t see it being anything other than with two wide players. Whenever we’ve played with a four this season that’s what we’ve done. It’s pretty much flipped between that and back three all season so I don’t see it being too much different next week.
    Can see Mallan starting left as yesterday.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Can see Mallan starting left as yesterday.
    I really hope not. I want to see Magennis in for him.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Maybe so but thought Mallan was good yesterday.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Yeah Kyle has impressed so far but will JR think he's ready for the full 90/120 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    I think Neilson will have a rather unenviable fact added to his CV after the semi. Being the manager who has seen both his teams knocked out of the 19 / 20 Scottish Cup by Hibs.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016
    Good point, has that ever happened before?

Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Yeah Kyle has impressed so far but will JR think he's ready for the full 90/120 minutes?
    Possibly not for 90 minutes, but the majority of derbies are a battle and whoever wins the midfield imo will win the game. Magennis has a more physical side to his game that Mallan does not have. If Neilson watched the last derby he’ll be aware how they pressed us that night, equally JR should select a team that doesn’t allow them to do so. I think KM would have started yesterday if it wasn’t another artificial surface.

I think Magennis and Murphy will come in for Hampden

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think Magennis and Murphy will come in for Hampden
    I think Magennis was being saved (Killie pitch) for next weekend but I think we'll see Murphy on the bench at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think Magennis was being saved (Killie pitch) for next weekend but I think we'll see Murphy on the bench at best.
    I don’t think he was being saved yesterday. Thought it was just a case of him struggling after a bright start against Ross County with Mallan doing well when he replaced him in that game.

No sure he’s at the stage where he needs saved, he needs built up. Don’t see this issue with the plastic, he played on it twice a couple of weeks back.

Agree on Murphy.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We have no excuses for this one. I think our strongest eleven beats their strongest eleven. I don’t want the players thinking about previous games or thinking there’s a point to prove, i just want them to focus on winning the game.

A defeat would be, imho, worse than either of the two Hampden defeats to them. It’s unthinkable.

If we turn up and play well, we will win with a couple of goals to spare.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I don’t think he was being saved yesterday. Thought it was just a case of him struggling after a bright start against Ross County with Mallan doing well when he replaced him in that game.

No sure he’s at the stage where he needs saved, he needs built up. Don’t see this issue with the plastic, he played on it twice a couple of weeks back.

Agree on Murphy.
    You could well be right, it was just what came to my mind when I saw he wasn't starting yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We have no excuses for this one. I think our strongest eleven beats their strongest eleven. I don’t want the players thinking about previous games or thinking there’s a point to prove, i just want them to focus on winning the game.

A defeat would be, imho, worse than either of the two Hampden defeats to them. It’s unthinkable.

Pretty much my thinking too.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I get where you’re coming from, but a defeat this week wouldn’t even come close to how bad the last time at Hampden was.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I get where you’re coming from, but a defeat this week wouldn’t even come close to how bad the last time at Hampden was.
    I honestly don’t think so. That was bad but we know why it was bad and can see a load of reasons why they beat us.

This time, we’re well into our season, they’ve just started, our players are better than theirs and our manager is better, they’re a division below us.

If they somehow beat us, it would definitely be more embarrassing than the other two.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I honestly don’t think so. That was bad but we know why it was bad and can see a load of reasons why they beat us.

This time, we’re well into our season, they’ve just started, our players are better than theirs and our manager is better, they’re a division below us.

If they somehow beat us, it would definitely be more embarrassing than the other two.
    It’s probably a game that shouldn’t be played, but I’ll love it when we win
    Much as I’d like to give them a good hammering, think it will be a tight game
    Neilson will play it tight, and Hibs aren’t exactly scoring goals for fun
    Think it will be a 1-0 win for Hibs

Funny one, wouldn't have thought much would ever compare to the 2012 final but all in all we've survived that and I'm not sure anyone bothers that much after 2016.

There's been quite a few in the 'cannot lose' category against Hearts, but the various circumstances of Saturday puts this one at the top. Above the aggro and different divisions, we're still lacking a Hampden win against them as well plus need a better outcome than the last derby for Jack Ross' sake. All told, losing's unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Funny one, wouldn't have thought much would ever compare to the 2012 final but all in all we've survived that and I'm not sure anyone bothers that much after 2016.

There's been quite a few in the 'cannot lose' category against Hearts, but the various circumstances of Saturday puts this one at the top. Above the aggro and different divisions, we're still lacking a Hampden win against them as well plus need a better outcome than the last derby for Jack Ross' sake. All told, losing's unthinkable.
    Agree totally. I’ve not even really thought about the possibility of winning the cup. All I’ve really though about is not losing to them. Would be a really bad one, in the circumstances.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post

Aye this. There is no excuse at all this time and we are due a performance at the National Stadium against them. Nerves kicking in now already.

Coaching Staff
    Extenuating circumstances led to the previous defeats which is why I don't lose sleep over the outcomes of those games. Sore - yes, don't deny that - but first game we were without Killen, Deek, Boozy and Brown and even Mowbray's pre-match interview told you we were on a hiding to nothing.

Final - lack of professionalism throughout the team and management, poor build up, team of loanees who had no feel for the tie or the magnitude of the game, garbage officials. Hearts had a strong side (for both games) and thoroughly deserved the wins. Hibs were in free fall for the latter game.

This time around it will be a tight game, both sides have decent players, Hibs have shed the SC 'hoodoo', no fans might relax the players, and the team, management, and group are in a very content place and much tighter and more united. No excuses not to turn in a good performance.

Can't wait for the game, love the derbies, love the banter beforehand and after. We're defending well and scoring goals, and our big players are in form. It'll be an even contest due to the very nature of the tie but it's there to win. What I've noticed already about Hearts is that they are nowhere near as physical a side as previously and are trying to play with width at every opportunity. Midfield will be key, our front men have to work hard and limit them playing freely from the back.

Should be a very good game - Hibs win

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

Their fans are totally confident of the win as it “just Hibs”

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Their fans are totally confident of the win as it “just Hibs”
    Their fans are ****ing idiots, though.

They also thought they would best St Mirren, get reconstruction, win in court, win the arbitration, get £10m compensation and have Scottish football in turmoil.

Their fans are ****ing idiots, though.

They also thought they would best St Mirren, get reconstruction, win in court, win the arbitration, get £10m compensation and have Scottish football in turmoil.
    They are idiots, you’re right. But the mentality of their fans, towards derby games, spreads right through the club and is a big reason why they regularly beat us when we have superior players IMO.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    They’re playing a bit of football this season from what I’ve seen. Not the typical dour hearts style industrial clogging we’ve all seen from them so often.

whether that will work in our favour or against us I’ve no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Extenuating circumstances led to the previous defeats which is why I don't lose sleep over the outcomes of those games. Sore - yes, don't deny that - but first game we were without Killen, Deek, Boozy and Brown and even Mowbray's pre-match interview told you we were on a hiding to nothing.

Final - lack of professionalism throughout the team and management, poor build up, team of loanees who had no feel for the tie or the magnitude of the game, garbage officials. Hearts had a strong side (for both games) and thoroughly deserved the wins. Hibs were in free fall for the latter game.

This time around it will be a tight game, both sides have decent players, Hibs have shed the SC 'hoodoo', no fans might relax the players, and the team, management, and group are in a very content place and much tighter and more united. No excuses not to turn in a good performance.

Can't wait for the game, love the derbies, love the banter beforehand and after. We're defending well and scoring goals, and our big players are in form. It'll be an even contest due to the very nature of the tie but it's there to win. What I've noticed already about Hearts is that they are nowhere near as physical a side as previously and are trying to play with width at every opportunity. Midfield will be key, our front men have to work hard and limit them playing freely from the back.

Should be a very good game - Hibs win
    If you’re wanting a pessimistic angle - our last derby, under Jack Ross, we were comprehensively outplayed and well beaten at home by a team that were utter gash for the previous 18 months, give or take the odd decent win over Sevco.

The fact that we managed to pluck that horrific performance from somewhere gives me a wee bit of concern.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    They are idiots, you’re right. But the mentality of their fans, towards derby games, spreads right through the club and is a big reason why they regularly beat us when we have superior players IMO.
    Sadly you are right, I am hopeful that their whole club believe we are still a soft touch, i don’t care how we beat them ,but to do it with a bit of grit, determination and a lot of skill would make up for a few of the more recent defeats when were so pathetically weak.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If you’re wanting a pessimistic angle - our last derby, under Jack Ross, we were comprehensively outplayed and well beaten at home by a team that were utter gash for the previous 18 months, give or take the odd decent win over Sevco.

The fact that we managed to pluck that horrific performance from somewhere gives me a wee bit of concern.
    Derbies always bring with them a mix of pessimism and optimism, however I'll go with optimism and being 3rd in the league, doubled our points tally after 12 games compared to last season, clean sheets and defensive cohesion, and our strikers on form and scoring goals and providing assists. Our midfield has far more balance and physicality too.

I'm going into it 'glass half full'

Unless we pick up a few injuries this week in training there should be no excuses for not winning on Saturday. Bar their fullback Kingsley there’s not another player in their team I’d consider swapping for any of ours. We are better all over the pitch and we are far more up to speed in terms of games played this season. Not winning would be really hard to accept.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Nah , We are winning this game next Saturday

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    They’re fooling nobody over there with their “it’s a no-lose situation for us” pish.

defeat next week will hurt them, badly, as will the thought of us being in the Scottish Cup Final again, so let’s just get it done.