hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None of which against Hearts when we are building a head of steam. There is no match of greater importance than an Edinburgh derby to reach a cup final (unless we got them in a final again). This is our chance to right a lot of wrongs.
    I appreciate that games against Hearts are extra important for fans who live or work in Edinburgh area . I don`t know any Hearts fans so a Derby defeat is just another defeat but losing a semi final is never good ( far from it ) . What`s a lot of wrongs ? Not sure about building head of steam bit . If that was the case , we`d be massive favourites against any team from lower league in cup .

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We are due one against them at hampden the last twice I can find excuses for this one I can't if we play the way we can we win but it is a derby.

My thoughts and feelings mean bugger all. I'm relatively relaxed about it. Worried myself sick in 2006 and 2012 and made no difference what so ever. It's down to the boys on Saturday. Different personnel in both teams so it's a bit of a lottery. You'd like to think we're more in to our stride than them and playing against much better opposition every week will go in our favour. We're the third best side in the country, hopefully we go and show it. Hearts have a Premiership squad in the Championship so it will be tough but Robbie Neilsons tactics have always been suspect against us both at Hearts and United. Not long to find out! Massive, massive opportunity for us to win the competition though. I've said that a few times over the years though. A win would right a few wrongs. Absolutely massive.
    Last edited by Since452; 25-10-2020 at 07:22 AM.

Only changes arguably could be magennis for Mallan, and doig for stevenson. Rest of the team picks itself. Shame about Murphy but we have more than enough to not just beat them but give them a tanking. Mon the hibs, this is the time!!

Not going to try to pick a team coz I'm invariably wrong .... I do have a few observations though.

The first one being that it shouldn't be forgotten that with a premiership quality team in the championship we regularly beat premiership sides in cup competitions and made two cup finals winning one of them ... it should have been both. From that perspective it makes little difference that Hertz are in the championship, they without doubt have a premiership quality squad and playing so called 'inferior opposition every week certainly didn't do us any harm when faced with premiership sides.

As nobody needs reminding, in a season where they were utterly dreadful they won twice at Easter Road, with the second of those games involving an utterly inept performance by us. If our players needed any lessons about the reality of what they face on Saturday and that 100% effort will be required that's two right there.

Even though they were below the level of their previous performance against Dundee, on Friday night Hertz still played the same way, they moved the ball quickly on the ground in patches and used both wings pretty well, it was far from hoofball and if we are to be successful against them we have to ensure they cant get into a rhythm as they did against Dundee.

Don't get me wrong we have the players to hurt them and who are more than capable of taking control of the game if they all play to their potential. But for all we are doing well results wise in our last 3 games against Forfar, Ross County and Killie we have scored once from open play, so anybody thinking we are going to go out there and batter them doesn't have the support of recent form in front of goal to back up that theory in my opinion. This is going to be a tough close game that could go either way.

I'm not being unduly negative about our chances, its just that I've seen far too many derby matches where our prospects looked good pre match, where folk on here have gone on about how much more quality we have in our team than them and then we have gone out and utterly blown it.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Not going to try to pick a team coz I'm invariably wrong .... I do have a few observations though.

The first one being that it shouldn't be forgotten that with a premiership quality team in the championship we regularly beat premiership sides in cup competitions and made two cup finals winning one of them ... it should have been both. From that perspective it makes little difference that Hertz are in the championship, they without doubt have a premiership quality squad and playing so called 'inferior opposition every week certainly didn't do us any harm when faced with premiership sides.

As nobody needs reminding, in a season where they were utterly dreadful they won twice at Easter Road, with the second of those games involving an utterly inept performance by us. If our players needed any lessons about the reality of what they face on Saturday and that 100% effort will be required that's two right there.

Even though they were below the level of their previous performance against Dundee, on Friday night Hertz still played the same way, they moved the ball quickly on the ground in patches and used both wings pretty well, it was far from hoofball and if we are to be successful against them we have to ensure they cant get into a rhythm as they did against Dundee.

Don't get me wrong we have the players to hurt them and who are more than capable of taking control of the game if they all play to their potential. But for all we are doing well results wise in our last 3 games against Forfar, Ross County and Killie we have scored once from open play, so anybody thinking we are going to go out there and batter them doesn't have the support of recent form in front of goal to back up that theory in my opinion. This is going to be a tough close game that could go either way.

I'm not being unduly negative about our chances, its just that I've seen far too many derby matches where our prospects looked good pre match, where folk on here have gone on about how much more quality we have in our team than them and then we have gone out and utterly blown it.
    Totally agree.

If there has been one feature of derbies in my life, it has been that Hibs have a real knack of not winning the games when everything is in their favour.

Hearts on the other hand usually hammer home any advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I appreciate that games against Hearts are extra important for fans who live or work in Edinburgh area . I don`t know any Hearts fans so a Derby defeat is just another defeat but losing a semi final is never good ( far from it ) . What`s a lot of wrongs ? Not sure about building head of steam bit . If that was the case , we`d be massive favourites against any team from lower league in cup .
    You don’t think we are currently on a massive upwards curve under Ross? A defeat next Saturday would put a massive dent in that. A lot of hibs fans will take a while to get over any defeat next week. The wrongs that include getting pumped twice by them through there. Just watch the reaction on here and on social media if we lose next week. Thankfully I don’t think it’ll happen, but this is our biggest game since 2016, and our biggest derby in 8 years, we have to win it.

You don’t think we are currently on a massive upwards curve under Ross? A defeat next Saturday would put a massive dent in that. A lot of hibs fans will take a while to get over any defeat next week. The wrongs that include getting pumped twice by them through there. Just watch the reaction on here and on social media if we lose next week. Thankfully I don’t think it’ll happen, but this is our biggest game since 2016, and our biggest derby in 8 years, we have to win it.
    Totally agree. A win next week is absolutely vital. I don't care how we get it.

It'll be good to feel the old derby tingling in the extremities again!

@hibs.net private member
    We need to win this one. If Lewis is fit I'd be torn between him and Doig. Murphy is a really key player for one as well.

I'd absolutely love him back, think his creativity, vision and experience will be crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Only changes arguably could be magennis for Mallan, and doig for stevenson. Rest of the team picks itself. Shame about Murphy but we have more than enough to not just beat them but give them a tanking. Mon the hibs, this is the time!!
    Is Murphy definitely ruled out?? Not seen that anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Thankfully i've mellowed over the years so these games don't stress me out as much as they used to. Might have a couple of beers pre game but nowhere near the amount if I'd been there so that'll help keep the emotions in check. Can't recall many, if any, derby games i've went into with too much confidence, scars of attending through their unbeaten run and 2012/16 I think. I just hope we 'turn up' and perform at the level expected.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    How many times do we need to right those wrongs though? We carry no weight from the past into this game. We've already pumped them out of the Scottish cup three times since that day, on one occasion going through to win the whole thing after being 2-0 down at Tynie with ten minutes to go.

The reason it took so long for us to win the cup for a third time was, by the end of that run, the weight that history put on our shoulders was nearly unbearable and I'm convinced that if we'd scored even five minutes before we did the end result may have been completely different. We can't carry that weight now we've done so much to shed it.
    Totally agree a one off game in isolation which is hugely important but imo not encumbered by any games from the past. What it definitely is for sure is a huge opportunity to get to a final.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post

Don't think he has been. Hopefully at minimum an option from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Don't think he has been. Hopefully at minimum an option from the bench.
    Indeed however I’d rather he started and we got a good hour out of him. We also better be prepared to get booted up and down the park

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    We need to win this one. If Lewis is fit I'd be torn between him and Doig. Murphy is a really key player for one as well.

I'd absolutely love him back, think his creativity, vision and experience will be crucial.
    He’s appeared in 4 games or something with, as far as I can tell, limited impact. Be nice to have him available but why so important?

First Team Breakthrough
    Jamie Murphy and Drey Wright are due to be back training tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tillguy View Post
    Jamie Murphy and Drey Wright are due to be back training tomorrow.
    Brilliant news

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    The reaction if we lose will be toxic. Expect a few “Ross out” shouts in the aftermath. Losing a derby will always bring out some overreaction, if the worst does happen let’s hope it doesn’t mess us up on the park too much and we keep our form going in the league.

I’ve got faith in the squad but I’ve no doubt it’ll be a tough match. We’ve rarely had an easy match against them no matter who they chuck out on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The reaction if we lose will be toxic. Expect a few “Ross out” shouts in the aftermath. Losing a derby will always bring out some overreaction, if the worst does happen let’s hope it doesn’t mess us up on the park too much and we keep our form going in the league.

I’ve got faith in the squad but I’ve no doubt it’ll be a tough match. We’ve rarely had an easy match against them no matter who they chuck out on the park.
    It’ll definitely be a tough game. Despite the respective positions, they’ll be sent out with the attitude that they have to win. Their whole support will still expect to win, rather than hope to win, because that’s the attitude they’ve always had against us. They’re not particularly tolerant when it doesn’t happen and nobody knows that better than Robbie Neilson who was about hounded out, despite doing a pretty decent job, because of what happened against us.

I really hope the players recognise the importance of this for us because there is absolutely no doubt we have the better players. We can’t beat ourselves by not turning up.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d play our league cup team after all it’s a game against a lower league team.

Indeed however I’d rather he started and we got a good hour out of him. We also better be prepared to get booted up and down the park

So would I hope he starts however do need to be careful given the type of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    So would I hope he starts however do need to be careful given the type of injury.
    We do but I’m sure both JR and JM himself will know if he’s ready!

Not sure what the scenario is with Murphy but i very much doubt he will start the game.

I think Neilson will have a rather unenviable fact added to his CV after the semi. Being the manager who has seen both his teams knocked out of the 19 / 20 Scottish Cup by Hibs.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    He’s appeared in 4 games or something with, as far as I can tell, limited impact. Be nice to have him available but why so important?
    Well, maybe Neil thinks his creativity, vision and experience would be important in a Scottish Cup Final Derby match.

Coaching Staff
    Team is settled and picking itself to a certain extent which is always pleasing when on such a good run. Only changes I can see would be Doig for Lewis (if he doesn't recover). Having Murphy on the bench would be a real bonus, and Magennis will have a crucial part to play off the bench too in my opinion.

Last time we played them we went 3-5-2 with a very soft midfield. We'll be 4-4-2 and far more compact and solid this time around. Looking forward to seeing Nisbet against their back four

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Team is settled and picking itself to a certain extent which is always pleasing when on such a good run. Only changes I can see would be Doig for Lewis (if he doesn't recover). Having Murphy on the bench would be a real bonus, and Magennis will have a crucial part to play off the bench too in my opinion.

Last time we played them we went 3-5-2 with a very soft midfield. We'll be 4-4-2 and far more compact and solid this time around. Looking forward to seeing Nisbet against their back four
    Without Murphy, I can’t see us being a midfield four. When we have set up that way against the diddy teams, it’s worked really well but we need two proper wide players on the pitch to allow it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Without Murphy, I can’t see us being a midfield four. When we have set up that way against the diddy teams, it’s worked really well but we need two proper wide players on the pitch to allow it.
    Don't think we'll start with two wide men when playing two up top (which is a given). Also - some of Newell's best attacking play has been when he has drifted out into wide areas and whipped some delightful balls into the box - and he's also made shooting opportunities for himself.

The team as it stands know their role and are pretty solid. I wouldn't be disrupting that and having the option of Murphy, Wright and Magennis from the bench would be very decent if the shape has to change/adapt.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We've scored 1 goal in the last couple of games and with Scott Allan out I think we really need someone with a bit more guile in the final third. At the moment we are extremely reliant on Nisbet with Doidge and Boyle not looking at their best.

I know Murphy hasn't played a huge amount but I was impressed with him at Sevco and think he's made a difference in the games he's played for us.