hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibs Picks

Hibs Picks

Just received an E-mail about this.

Anyone downloaded the app and had a go?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dont think its an avenue Hibs should be going down tbh.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100%. People’s mental health has taken a battering this year and gambling doesn’t help with that. If people want to make a bet on something then fair enough but advertising a gambling app isn’t a good thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Just received an E-mail about this.

Anyone downloaded the app and had a go?
    I just did it because it was free to enter and I didn't have to give many details to sign up, the app was pretty clean.

I agree with the sentiment of preferring we didn't take sponsorships from betting companies, but I suppose they need to monetise as extensively as possible right now.

I've never personally been effected by gambling addiction, but I know it can afflict a lot of football fans so ideally we wouldn't be seeing these commercial partnerships.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 16-10-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Good point. Not downloaded as yet wanted to see what the thoughs were on here.

I am responsible with my gambling but it is so easy to spiral out of control.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    I just did it because it was free to enter and I didn't have to give many details to sign up, the app was pretty clean.

I agree with the sentiment of preferring we didn't take sponsorships from betting companies, but I suppose they need to monetise as extensively as possible right now.

I've never personally been effected by gambling addiction, but I know it can afflict a lot of football fans so ideally we wouldn't be seeing these commercial partnerships.
    Don't see why folk try and say gambling is so bad when alcohol still causes much more harm. Never see anyone saying we should stop selling alcohol or ban drinks companies from sponsoring our shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    Don't see why folk try and say gambling is so bad when alcohol still causes much more harm. Never see anyone saying we should stop selling alcohol or ban drinks companies from sponsoring our shirts.
    It's not really a competition of which vice is most harmful. Ideally we wouldn't have sponsorship from either industry, but the world isn't ideal and therefore Hibs must do what they can to generate revenue.

For that reason I'm not going to chastise the Club for the partnership, I just agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if such things weren't present in football. I see why it's not exactly pragmatically viable.

First Team Breakthrough
    Apart from the fact you can't advertise alcohol on shirts.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Had to put my glasses on 😃 Thought it said something different 😁
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Haven't looked at the app yet but where's the harm in a "free to enter" prediction competition?
    Now if it was an alcohol partnership with free alcohol............

There is no requirement to enter card details to play the free to enter game -
    I would have more of an issue if this was required.

It is a bit like having a skybet account and only ever playing super6.

I appreciate though that one thing can lead to the next. Difficult one

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    On here? Sure we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Cinema View Post
    There is no requirement to enter card details to play the free to enter game -
    I would have more of an issue if this was required.

It is a bit like having a skybet account and only ever playing super6.

I appreciate though that one thing can lead to the next. Difficult one
    There is if you want to win it, they ask for your card details by email after you join on the app. Not that it's unexpected, of course.

Asking for my passport details

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Asking for my passport details
    I thought I would have a look. Answered all the hibs questions and it said send ID.

No thanks.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpdhfc View Post
    Apart from the fact you can't advertise alcohol on shirts.
    Eden Mill?

I think it’s mostly because alcohol companies don’t give out free bottles of booze to recovering alcoholics in an attempt to get them back on the sauce whilst some big betting companies will offer their biggest losers hospitality at major sporting events and the like.

Similarly an alcohol company will not ban someone from drinking their product if they feel their customer is too smart and won’t be able to better them where gambling companies do.

Alcohol companies also don’t open up multiple shops in the poorest areas and fill them with self service machines designed to be as addictive as possible and to hoover every penny out of their customers pockets as quickly as possible like gambling companies do with FOBTs.

There’s no comparison between the two industries. The alcohol industry largely acts responsibly whereas the gambling industry do not.

Furthermore there is a genuine art to the alcohol trade with utilising new flavour combinations and the like, cocktail mixology and the like. The bookies just want to take money and nothing more. Two totally different beasts.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 17-10-2020 at 07:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Another good move by the club.

No problem with gambling companies sponsoring us or sports in general. Mutually beneficial for both parties.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    I thought I would have a look. Answered all the hibs questions and it said send ID.

No thanks.
    Didn’t for me. I think to avoid that your email address has to be the same one as your iCloud address that’s already verified.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Another good move by the club.

No problem with gambling companies sponsoring us or sports in general. Mutually beneficial for both parties.
    This. Plus if you manage to fluke the 200 questions on offer you can win £2.50 and a packet of quavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think it’s mostly because alcohol companies don’t give out free bottles of booze to recovering alcoholics in an attempt to get them back on the sauce whilst some big betting companies will offer their biggest losers hospitality at major sporting events and the like.

Similarly an alcohol company will not ban someone from drinking their product if they feel their customer is too smart and won’t be able to better them where gambling companies do.

Alcohol companies also don’t open up multiple shops in the poorest areas and fill them with self service machines designed to be as addictive as possible and to hoover every penny out of their customers pockets as quickly as possible like gambling companies do with FOBTs.

There’s no comparison between the two industries. The alcohol industry largely acts responsibly whereas the gambling industry do not.

Furthermore there is a genuine art to the alcohol trade with utilising new flavour combinations and the like, cocktail mixology and the like. The bookies just want to take money and nothing more. Two totally different beasts.
    I don’t gamble, aside from the odd Grand National punt, and I’m not really in favour of gambling or alcohol sponsorship but it is what it is. Your post takes the very worst of the gambling industry and pretends that every alcohol company is a creative enterprise, only interested in furthering the art (which just isn’t reality). As an example, let’s not pretend that mainstream alcohol companies don’t target young people.

Both industries can be incredibly harmful to folk who can’t control their usage of either one or both.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This. Plus if you manage to fluke the 200 questions on offer you can win £2.50 and a packet of quavers.
    I’m sure there’s a rather happy Hibee tonight after winning £1k for answering a few questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Even though it was only 14 and he’s now got a cool 1k in his back pocket.

@hibs.net private member
    Never heard anyone complaining about Happy Hibee half time draw. That is Hibs promoting their own gambling competition.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Never heard anyone complaining about Happy Hibee half time draw. That is Hibs promoting their own gambling competition.
    I was only about 10 off winning last week. Tossers!

@hibs.net private member
    @duffers scooping the top prize, negative get😂

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    But Hibs are not a company within the gambling industry, it’s a raffle conducted in the grounds of Easter Road with a £2 entry.

They do not start opening multiple shops in the same streets of impoverished areas, they do not start taking people who are clearly problem gamblers to major sporting events, they do not assign them “big brothers” to get them to these events, they do not see people gambling what they clearly can out afford and still let them go ahead with it, they do not start putting as many “Happy Hibee” fixed odds betting terminals everywhere they can, they don’t flood sporting events in person or on TV.

I don’t know what the ethics of the company behind this app are, they may be fantastic and beyond criticism, but I’m very wary of football accepting the money of the gambling industry. Soon as you understand where the money comes from and it’s the rich robbing from the poor in many cases of many of the hugest companies in the industry whilst using “if the fun stops, stop” banners in a pathetic attempt to suggest a veneer of responsibility, your viewpoint changes.

Whether it’s my partner whose ex had a gambling problem and managed to use her bank details to gamble every penny she had (she only knew when her card was declined at a petrol station) and didn’t see her money back from the gambling company despite the fact the money wasn’t that of the person who gambled it nor the companies, or the person who I met whose husband pumped thousands a night into FOBTs before killing kimself leaving his family without a father or a penny to their name, the bookies are there to hoover cash out of the pockets of the poor and line the pockets of the rich even further.

As I say, the ethics and practises of those behind the app may be beyond reproach but until the whole gambling industry is reformed, something is done about the hidden epidemic of gambling addiction then I’m against the influx of professional gambling companies integrating themselves with our sporting events and institutions. A wee half time raffle organised by the club for the benefit of the club really isn’t a comparable thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Even though it was only 14 and he’s now got a cool 1k in his back pocket.
    Well done to who won it.

@hibs.net private member

All alcohol companies want to do the same, they want your cash.

@hibs.net private member
    But Hibs are not a company within the gambling industry, it’s a raffle conducted in the grounds of Easter Road with a £2 entry.

They do not start opening multiple shops in the same streets of impoverished areas, they do not start taking people who are clearly problem gamblers to major sporting events, they do not assign them “big brothers” to get them to these events, they do not see people gambling what they clearly can out afford and still let them go ahead with it, they do not start putting as many “Happy Hibee” fixed odds betting terminals everywhere they can, they don’t flood sporting events in person or on TV.

I don’t know what the ethics of the company behind this app are, they may be fantastic and beyond criticism, but I’m very wary of football accepting the money of the gambling industry. Soon as you understand where the money comes from and it’s the rich robbing from the poor in many cases of many of the hugest companies in the industry whilst using “if the fun stops, stop” banners in a pathetic attempt to suggest a veneer of responsibility, your viewpoint changes.

Whether it’s my partner whose ex had a gambling problem and managed to use her bank details to gamble every penny she had (she only knew when her card was declined at a petrol station) and didn’t see her money back from the gambling company despite the fact the money wasn’t that of the person who gambled it nor the companies, or the person who I met whose husband pumped thousands a night into FOBTs before killing kimself leaving his family without a father or a penny to their name, the bookies are there to hoover cash out of the pockets of the poor and line the pockets of the rich even further.

As I say, the ethics and practises of those behind the app may be beyond reproach but until the whole gambling industry is reformed, something is done about the hidden epidemic of gambling addiction then I’m against the influx of professional gambling companies integrating themselves with our sporting events and institutions. A wee half time raffle organised by the club for the benefit of the club really isn’t a comparable thing.
    Yes agree on most of the above. What is to say someone who is recovering from a gambling addiction goes to ER to watch the game, gets asked if they want a Happy Hibbee spend £100 on tickets & they are on the slippery slope again. Yes its only £2 for 1 ticket, which is the same price as The National Lottery Ticket, would you say that also isn't gambling.