hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up First Round Of League Fixtures

In our first season after promotion in 2017-18, we gained our highest number of points in the premier league. After the first round of league fixtures, we'd accumulated a very healthy 18 points from those eleven games.

This season, with one match still to play to complete the first round of fixtures, we're already on 20 points. There's a strong possibility that we'll be on 23 points after our match against Ross County.

It's early days but that's a very positive sign of how our new management, and signings, are performing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In our first season after promotion in 2017-18, we gained our highest number of points in the premier league. After the first round of league fixtures, we'd accumulated a very healthy 18 points from those eleven games.

This season, with one match still to play to complete the first round of fixtures, we're already on 20 points. There's a strong possibility that we'll be on 23 points after our match against Ross County.

It's early days but that's a very positive sign of how our new management, and signings, are performing.

I didn't realise that, it augurs well.

It's what comes of putting the bottom 8 teams to the sword.
    A result against Ross County next wee and that will be accomplished with the exception of the draw with Motherwell.
    The first 70 minutes until Doidge's header was saved was great stuff last night with Murphy adding that extra spark and control. Looking good for over 80 points and 3rd or 4th with European football next season. Covid is the only black cloud on Hibs horizon.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    A result against Ross County next wee and that will be accomplished with the exception of the draw with Motherwell.
    The first 70 minutes until Doidge's header was saved was great stuff last night with Murphy adding that extra spark and control. Looking good for over 80 points and 3rd or 4th with European football next season. Covid is the only black cloud on Hibs horizon.
    I think 80 points will be beyond us as after the split points are harder to come by.

Things are looking great though except as you quite rightly say about the covid.

I wonder out of curiosity what the most number of points we have gained after the split when in the top half of the table.

Jack Ross is doing a good job

According to wiki he has a 50% win rate at Hibs winning 16 games in 32

Neil Lennon won 59 games in 123 , not sure how many of these wins and games were in the championship.

If you’re basing that on four quarters of eleven games we know thats not how it works. If we get between 60 and 70 points we won’t be far off third or fourth.

This season has proved that The Rangers and Celtic are a wee bit better than the Dons and the Hibees, who are consistently better than the rest. But, anyone can best each other.

If we can keep up our current points per game we’ll smash our points record. Be tough but I don’t think we’ll be that far away. We should be dropping very little against the really poor sides in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This season has proved that The Rangers and Celtic are a wee bit better than the Dons and the Hibees, who are consistently better than the rest. But, anyone can best each other.
    great post.

@hibs.net private member
    80 points would have us in 2nd based on the last couple of full seasons and potentially be challenging for the title right up until the end

2017/18
    Celtc 82
    Aberdeen 73

2018/19
    Celtc 87
    Huns 78

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I think 80 points will be beyond us as after the split points are harder to come by.

Things are looking great though except as you quite rightly say about the covid.

I wonder out of curiosity what the most number of points we have gained after the split when in the top half of the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    If you’re basing that on four quarters of eleven games we know thats not how it works. If we get between 60 and 70 points we won’t be far off third or fourth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    80 points would have us in 2nd based on the last couple of full seasons and potentially be challenging for the title right up until the end

2017/18
    Celtc 82
    Aberdeen 73

2018/19
    Celtc 87
    Huns 78
    Sorry guys. Plot well and truly lost.
    62 points at the split and as Scoopy says it will be tough after that.
    Probably 68 points at best.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 03-10-2020 at 09:14 PM.

I doubt if we'll get over 80 points to be honest, we would need to actually increase our points per game ratio even more than it is now.

23 points from 11 games would still be a phenomenal return though and we absolutely should be aiming for 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I doubt if we'll get over 80 points to be honest, we would need to actually increase our points per game ratio even more than it is now.

23 points from 11 games would still be a phenomenal return though and we absolutely should be aiming for 3rd place.
    See apology (Post 11) above

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

It would take something very special to get 80 points and our form, already good, would have to improve considerably. We would only be able to drop 14 points in the remaining 28 games. I do think we have a team that will consistently beat the teams below us and we will probably need to continue doing that to finish above Aberdeen. I'm staying positive and think if we avoid injuries we will be 3rd on around 67 points with our firepower and creativity being enough to overcome the Dons.

See apology (Post 11) above
    I was typing out my post during the time that you posted that, it wasn't there when I hit reply.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It would take something very special to get 80 points and our form, already good, would have to improve considerably. We would only be able to drop 14 points in the remaining 28 games. I do think we have a team that will consistently beat the teams below us and we will probably need to continue doing that to finish above Aberdeen. I'm staying positive and think if we avoid injuries we will be 3rd on around 67 points with our firepower and creativity being enough to overcome the Dons.
    Yeah me too. I'd like us to get to 70 points. I'd like to think that's a realistic target.

In my view apart from the last 25 minutes of last night and Aberdeen and motherwell at home, it's looking like jack ross is getting that much talked about right balance for hibs to be a good team season after season.

I think we have played some good stuff in the last 4 games put aside the celtic result it's looking good and long may it continue.

Just to put it into some perspective, at the end of 10 games last season we only had EIGHT points (nine after the first round of fixtures). So we could potentially be 14 points better off after the 1st round of fixtires compared to last season. Snapped your had off for that at the end of July!

Not bad considering some of the games we barely hit top gear!

Aberdeen is still a disappointment. they'll push us close and we basically handed them 3 points when we should have had at least 1.

that said I'm chuffed so far. feels like we're finally flexing a bit of muscle. we're a big club in Scottish terms, it's time we started showing it in every aspect.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I think we've only topped 60pts 3 times this century. So this start is excellent.

Looking at the table, I can't see any club outside the current top 4 getting 55 pts this season. Which means another 35 pts from 28 games would secure top 4. Hoping for a lot more than that, obvs.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    I think we've only topped 60pts 3 times this century. So this start is excellent.
    Dramatic prose there given we are a fifth into a century, but aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Aberdeen is still a disappointment. they'll push us close and we basically handed them 3 points when we should have had at least 1.

that said I'm chuffed so far. feels like we're finally flexing a bit of muscle. we're a big club in Scottish terms, it's time we started showing it in every aspect.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    The signings of Gogic and Nisbet were pivotal. Gogic added much needed muscle and steel into the midfield while Nisbet is a terrific all round striker. Murphy too has been a good addition. The signing of Magennis will add another dimension to the team. Good time to be a Hibee.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It's a good start anyway - typical we're not there to see it!

Hopefully we can round off round 1 with a positive result against county, 23 points is a great return at that stage.
    Mon the Hibs.

I don't think we will get 38 games in, so it's important that we keep picking up points and building a lead to the teams below is, so we can't be shafted by a team effectively getting 1.1 points for a game away to rangers

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I didn't realise that, it augurs well.
    It certainly does, the form has been excellent in the main this season, I think helped by a reasonably settled side especially the back line. Previously we chopped and changed centre halves and full backs. They are working well as a unit.

Newell seems very happy in his new role, Murphy will be an excellent addition for his experience and game intelligence. Was really impressed with him on Friday - always playing with his head up and looking to take the team forward. Hanlon is at the top of his game too, which has allowed Porteous to relax and develop his game. The team/squad appear to be more cohesive this season, maybe down to a smaller group to work with. Nisbet is going to be a sensation I think.

Maybe in the minority but I also think having no supporters has allowed the team to settle into games and see games out. Not meant to be a dig at the support but there are times in games previously where nervousness on the stands has crept into the performance. Be interesting to see how they adapt to having a full house. Could have worked to our advantage (in the opening stages of the season) in allowing the team to bond and develop around each other.

Comparing previous seasons , particularly those when Hibs , Hearts and Rangers were out of the top division , 4th in the league was around the 55 to 60 mark , mainly because they were all taking points of each other
    This round of fixtures shows the teams outwith the top 4 are all going to do the same , so if Hibs keep doing what they are doing , strengthen the squad here and there then I dont see them splitting the old firm , but around 65 points would be a reasonable return with at least 4th place.
    Not sure on the performance of Aberdeen this season , they look a bit unpredictable , but if we can do better than them, then 65+ could be possible and a 3rd place is acheivable.

Anything above 50 will see us top 4 in my opinion, early 60s for 3rd. Been a great start but we need to keep it going. 3 points away to county is a must for me👍

Sorry guys. Plot well and truly lost.
    62 points at the split and as Scoopy says it will be tough after that.
    Probably 68 points at best.

Oh Colin, I'm very dissapointed in you.

😋

Oh Colin, I'm very dissapointed in you.

��
    Mandrax OD. Temporarily insane in the membrane.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2020 at 10:51 AM.