hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar

Possession v goals

Leicester City today.

27% possession.... 5 goals!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Brilliant in a one off game. The best teams generally have more possession and goals, though.

The season Leicester won the league they had very low possession stats. I can't remember the exact figure but it was about the 4th or 5th lowest in the league. Given Rodgers style I daresay stats like today are less common than they once were though.

Jamie Vardy is a massive part of why they are so effective even in games when they have limited time on the ball. If you had to come up with a striker from scratch to play in a team that hit with pace on the break then he's be a good starting point for the design.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    This thread got me thinking Albian Ajeti’s goals to game time must be really good he scores he gets hooked he comes on late he scores

I’ll get my coat 😃

@hibs.net private member
    A perfect example of having all the possession doesn’t win you football matches.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A perfect example of having all the possession doesn’t win you football matches.
    It generally does win leagues, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It generally does win leagues, though.
    That's true. Tends to come hand-in-hand with the other league winning metrics, like shots taken and pass success rate.

It makes Leicester's 2016 league win even more bizzare and unpredictable. Other than winning more penalties than any other team, they basically didn't hit any of the usual categories for a top level European league winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    That's true. Tends to come hand-in-hand with the other league winning metrics, like shots taken and pass success rate.

It makes Leicester's 2016 league win even more bizzare and unpredictable. Other than winning more penalties than any other team, they basically didn't hit any of the usual categories for a top level European league winner.
    No team, other than Arsenal and Man United figured them out. Just sit deep, don't let them run in behind and they struggled. Its funny seeing their goals that season, teams like Sunderland defending on the half way line against the top of the table team. I really think they benefitted from being the underdogs and everyone thinking, even in March, that they would fall apart.