hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439

    2020 French Open

    Andy Murray has a tough start to his French Open campaign against Stan Wawrinka.

    Currently 4-1 down, first set.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,631
    6-1 in 33mins.

  4. #3
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,631
    Not sure why Murray is bothering with this comeback if his current level of performance and effort is anything to go by. I know conditions are rotten in Paris but he just seems like he can't be arsed.

  5. #4
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,631
    Lost 1, 3 and 2 with barely a shot played in anger. Would have been better giving his space to a young player starting out.

    Sad sight to see a great player ending up like this.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    25,170
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lost 1, 3 and 2 with barely a shot played in anger. Would have been better giving his space to a young player starting out.

    Sad sight to see a great player ending up like this.
    He was a bit unlucky with the draw. His intentions with these tournaments would be to hopefully get through a couple of rounds and build back up to playing these types of matches.

    Not sure if he will get back to anywhere close to the level but I think he deserves to be able to give it a shot.

  7. #6
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was a bit unlucky with the draw. His intentions with these tournaments would be to hopefully get through a couple of rounds and build back up to playing these types of matches.

    Not sure if he will get back to anywhere close to the level but I think he deserves to be able to give it a shot.
    Yep I understand his intentions but it was a bit of an abject performance from him today. He more or less chucked it early on and I can't see what he gained from that at all.

  8. #7
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Poor performance and one I never really fancied him to win to be honest.

    Hopefully he can go away and improve over the winter and come back stronger next year.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  9. #8
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,476
    I think he should give up now before he knackers himself. He's a legend. Leave it at that.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    5,364
    I think he will retire now. It's clear he can't compete at the level he wants to anymore. Probably the greatest Scottish sports star ever and he was an absolute joy to watch. Wimbledon won't ever be the same again. And he is a Hibby as well.

  11. #10
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Huge shock today in the men's singles.

    Qualifier and world number 186 Daniel Altmaier has just beaten 7th seed Matteo Berrettini in straight sets to make it through to the last 16 of the French Open on his Grand Slam debut.

    He now plays the winner of Roberto Bautista-Agut and Pablo Carreno-Busta. They're currently in the fourth set and look likely to be going into a fifth set.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  12. #11
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Great match on just now between Novak Djokovic and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

    Djokovic was two sets up but Tsitsipas has got it back level and forced a decider. Djokovic has just broken in the fifth set and leads 2-1.

    The winner plays Rafael Nadal in Sunday's final.

  13. #12
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Fifth set a damp squib - Djokovic takes it 6-1.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  14. #13
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Nadal currently taking Djokovic to the cleaners in the final, he's only lost 2 games in the first 2 sets and it's 1-1 in the 3rd set.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  15. #14
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Third set slightly closer but Nadal wins his 13th French Open title 6-0 6-2 7-5.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  16. #15
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Lovely words from Roger Federer tonight;

    I have always had the utmost respect for my friend Rafa as a person and as a champion. As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players. Therefore, it is a true honor for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory. It is especially amazing that he has now won Roland Garros an incredible 13 times, which is one of the greatest achievements in sport. I also congratulate his team, because nobody can do this alone. I hope 20 is just another step on the continuing journey for both of us. Well done, Rafa. You deserve it.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lovely words from Roger Federer tonight;

    I have always had the utmost respect for my friend Rafa as a person and as a champion. As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players. Therefore, it is a true honor for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory. It is especially amazing that he has now won Roland Garros an incredible 13 times, which is one of the greatest achievements in sport. I also congratulate his team, because nobody can do this alone. I hope 20 is just another step on the continuing journey for both of us. Well done, Rafa. You deserve it.
    Telling that he never even mentions Djokovic there when it comes to greatest rivals. Clearly cannae stand him and would have been delighted to see him get his arrogant erse handed to him today, even it meant Nadal equalling his record. Djokovic will never have the true champion class of that pair and he knows it. Brilliant to see him follow up his New York humiliation with such a pasting. Just surprised he didn't get 'injured' after those first two sets.

    Looking at the bigger picture though, how come these same guys are still at the top of the men's game in their mid to late 30s? There's still little sign of anyone replacing them. Is there just not the hunger there among the younger generation?

  18. #17
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Telling that he never even mentions Djokovic there when it comes to greatest rivals. Clearly cannae stand him and would have been delighted to see him get his arrogant erse handed to him today, even it meant Nadal equalling his record. Djokovic will never have the true champion class of that pair and he knows it. Brilliant to see him follow up his New York humiliation with such a pasting. Just surprised he didn't get 'injured' after those first two sets.

    Looking at the bigger picture though, how come these same guys are still at the top of the men's game in their mid to late 30s? There's still little sign of anyone replacing them. Is there just not the hunger there among the younger generation?
    I really just think these players are so good that even in their 30s they're still better than the up and coming players.

    Dominic Thiem just won his first Grand Slam a few weeks ago at the US Open and whilst he may go onto win a few more, at 27 years old he's not going to come close to winning 20.

    Then there's the likes of Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Medvedev and Berrettini who are all a bit younger than Thiem but again I'd be surprised if any of them won any more than about 5 or 6 Grand Slams during their careers. Don't get me wrong that's still an incredible achievement but not a patch on Nadal, Federer or Djokovic. I think it will be a long time before tennis has 3 players like them all playing at the same time.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really just think these players are so good that even in their 30s they're still better than the up and coming players.

    Dominic Thiem just won his first Grand Slam a few weeks ago at the US Open and whilst he may go onto win a few more, at 27 years old he's not going to come close to winning 20.

    Then there's the likes of Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Medvedev and Berrettini who are all a bit younger than Thiem but again I'd be surprised if any of them won any more than about 5 or 6 Grand Slams during their careers. Don't get me wrong that's still an incredible achievement but not a patch on Nadal, Federer or Djokovic. I think it will be a long time before tennis has 3 players like them all playing at the same time.
    It'll never happen again IMHO. It's an almost freakish situation and the fact the guys you mention have barely laid a glove on the old guard highlights just how well Andy Murray did to scale the heights he did in such an era. In other times you'd have fancied him to have easily landed another five or six slam titles. When you throw in his double Olympic golds (in the pursuit of which he beat both Federer and Djokovic), his Herculean Davis Cup efforts plus the fact he actually topped the world rankings, his efforts were pretty remarkable. Wawrinka has weighed in with some Slam titles but when it comes to his overall career title tally/consistency etc Andy blows him out the water.

    I remain suspicious of Djokovic's near overnight transformation from also-ran to multiple slam winning automaton and it was satisfying to see him made to look like a lesser mortal today.

  20. #19
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It'll never happen again IMHO. It's an almost freakish situation and the fact the guys you mention have barely laid a glove on the old guard highlights just how well Andy Murray did to scale the heights he did in such an era. In other times you'd have fancied him to have easily landed another five or six slam titles. When you throw in his double Olympic golds (in the pursuit of which he beat both Federer and Djokovic), his Herculean Davis Cup efforts plus the fact he actually topped the world rankings, his efforts were pretty remarkable. Wawrinka has weighed in with some Slam titles but when it comes to his overall career title tally/consistency etc Andy blows him out the water.

    I remain suspicious of Djokovic's near overnight transformation from also-ran to multiple slam winning automaton and it was satisfying to see him made to look like a lesser mortal today.
    Yep Murray has done incredibly well to get 3 Grand Slam titles in his career. He's got to 11 major finals during his career as well so as you say he could have been looking at winning many more in any other era.

    He can be very proud of his achievements.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,476
    Some of the new breed are entertaining to watch. Thiem has a terrific one-handed backhand. Kyrgios is very good!

    Wimbledon will be interesting with some fresh names on the trophy.

    God willing we can enjoy it again one day.

  22. #21
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    42,439
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the new breed are entertaining to watch. Thiem has a terrific one-handed backhand. Kyrgios is very good!

    Wimbledon will be interesting with some fresh names on the trophy.

    God willing we can enjoy it again one day.
    Nick Kyrgios could be very good but is now 25 and has yet to get past the quarter finals of a Grand Slam.

    Thiem is very good but is 27 and has only just won his first Grand Slam.

    I reckon the likes of Zverev and Tsitsipas are the future of men's tennis but won't come close to dominating it like Nadal, Federer and Djokovic.

    I can't wait to watch Wimbledon again, I missed it so much this year.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)