hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    He's innocent until proven guilty but will be raging if he's done something in one of our games.

It would be a crazy thing to do if true though. The guy is supposed to be on £10k a week for a multi year contract. If your on 500k a year you'd be nuts to do anything like this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's innocent until proven guilty but will be raging if he's done something in one of our games.

It would be a crazy thing to do if true though. The guy is supposed to be on £10k a week for a multi year contract. If your on 500k a year you'd be nuts to do anything like this.
    The sums involved in football match fixing are eye watering. Some of the Asian syndicates are raking in quite literally billions a year. A player could double or treble their weekly wage if they were in with the big boys.

About a decade ago it was estimated about 300 games a year in Europe were either fixed or subject to suspicious betting. That had doubled by 5 years ago and is higher now. There was one game in Belgium a few years back that bookies would normally expect to take about €50K on, about €1.5M was wagered through various exchanges...... It used to be South east Asia that was the epicentre, particularly Malaysia, but the Russians are big players now. In Europe the most high profile incidents have probably been in Germany. There was an incident in England a few years ago were a security officer had been paid to try and sabotage the floodlights at a Charlton game and have the game abandoned. There was also a Norwich game that was seriously investigated.

A visit to the darker reaches of the internet all but confirms match fixing exists on a serious scale. It's a closed shop because by it's nature it has to be. The tipsters on Facebook and Twitter claiming to have info on fixed matches are lying but it definitely happens and far more often than people would like to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    That stamp was inexplicable. IF he tried to get himself sent off in a derby for bets then he'd better not show his face anywhere near Easter Road again. Couldn't understand why he did it the time and I'm really hoping what I'm thinking isn't true.
    Agreed. Hopefully not the case, for his sake.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Would Police Scotland be doing the arresting and charging if the offences were alleged to have been committed in England?

As has been said a few times match fixing and betting scams must be much more widespread than we realise. It’s gone on for decades in football, a long and dirty heritage.

I really hope it doesn’t involve Hibs games.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    He kind of had that look about him that suggested he could be a bit of a wrong`un.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    He also missed a penalty against them I’m sure
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    He kind of had that look about him that suggested he could be a bit of a wrong`un.
    And what kind of look is that precisely?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The incident again: https://youtu.be/hqLz-tpYvjs

Players try to put the keeper off all the time all over the world every weekend by standing in their vicinity, they don’t make an attempt to play the ball as the keeper releases it. To do so is against the rules, it’s absolute schoolboy stuff and strikers nowadays know that they can’t challenge the keeper in the act of releasing the ball.

“prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it” - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules...and-misconduct
    Not allowed now but this was a brilliant goal from an ex-Hibs ace that should have stood.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why is it daft? It happens all the time, all over the world every weekend. Players try to block the goalie all the time. I doubt if he is desperately needing to get himself booked he'd leave it so late. If the goalie plays it short, what then?

He didn't get sent off.
    It's a foul to attempt to block the keeper kicking the ball out all over the world.

Often it is a cautionable offence. Players know this.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 27-09-2020 at 10:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The incident again: https://youtu.be/hqLz-tpYvjs

Players try to put the keeper off all the time all over the world every weekend by standing in their vicinity, they don’t make an attempt to play the ball as the keeper releases it. To do so is against the rules, it’s absolute schoolboy stuff and strikers nowadays know that they can’t challenge the keeper in the act of releasing the ball.

“prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it” - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules...and-misconduct
    We’ll never know but it looks more a bit instinctive that deliberate....he hardly goes for a mega block all arms and legs and body.

Still either way it was worth it for the complete Tom tit of himself that McGregor makes

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's a foul to attempt to block the keeper kicking the ball out all over the world.

Often it is a cautionable offence. Players know this.
    Sure. Its also a foul and a yellow to pull a players shirt. Doesn't really mean match fixing. He swung a really lazy leg at McGregor. As I say, I doubt he leaves it to that if he needs a booking.

Gotta say, I'm laughing at all these incidents suddenly appearing, as if folk knew all along. He missed a penalty and blocked a goalie, must've been fixing the match.

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching. He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.

Testimonial Due
    Agree. Though innocent to proven guilty. Always looked unfit and a bit debauched.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Gambling debts?

A complete huddie and now possibly a match fixing criminal. Thank God we are well rid.

@hibs.net private member
    Some of the haters are out early this morning I see .....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    For me, the stamp in the derby is questionable in that it came totally out of the blue and seemed out of character. I can't remember anything else that he did that would point to match fixing.

I really hope these accusations are untrue as I really liked him at ER, even though his second spell was a bit of a disappointment.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Some of the haters are out early this morning I see .....
    An unfit debauched huddie that had that look about him. Priceless stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    An unfit debauched huddie that had that look about him. Priceless stuff.
    Incredible comments tbh, so many assumptions

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Sure. Its also a foul and a yellow to pull a players shirt. Doesn't really mean match fixing. He swung a really lazy leg at McGregor. As I say, I doubt he leaves it to that if he needs a booking.
    A player may pull an opponents shirt knowing the ref might not see it or be lenient towards. Making such a deliberate attempt to play the ball while the keeper is in the act of releasing the ball is blatant foul play which the referee would have no option but to stop the play and possibly card the attacker. Anyone who plays the game at any level all over the world every weekend knows that doing so nowadays will lead to a foul being awarded against them.

Gotta say, I'm laughing at all these incidents suddenly appearing, as if folk knew all along. He missed a penalty and blocked a goalie, must've been fixing the match.

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching.He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.
    The reason match fixing would not typically happen in big games is because the perpetrators would as you suggest be more likely to be caught - well McNulty has seemingly been caught.

What kind of look does a wrong un have?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Criminal ear lobes always clinch it for me.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

As has been mentioned we have this thing called innocent until proven guilty in this country. Some of the comments are similar to what id expect to read on Kickback to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I've got my doubts about this guy as well

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Criminal ear lobes always clinch it for me.

It was always safe to consider a person with a beer belly squeezed into a Rangers top to be capable of several criminal acts.

@hibs.net private member
    It was always safe to consider a person with a beer belly squeezed into a Rangers top to be capable of several criminal acts.
    Yes, but this thread isn't about Kris Boyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I've got my doubts about this guy as well

Mastermind not a word that springs to mind.

Mastermind not a word that springs to mind.
    "Hun" on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    A complete huddie and now possibly a match fixing criminal. Thank God we are well rid.
    Not like you to spraff Tom Kite, it must be true then

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Match fixing doesn't happen in huge games under the spotlight, not Edinburgh derbies and games against Rangers with many thousands watching. He'd have to be a real idiot to do that. More likely a meaningless game, wednesday night, booked for a daft foul thats immediately forgotten.
    Pulling a players shirt can gain you an advantage such as stopping a player who’s beaten you progressing further up the pitch. It’s also easier to disguise.

Doing what McNulty done gains you no advantage whatsoever and is very likely to gain you a booking.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Pulling a players shirt can gain you an advantage such as stopping a player who’s beaten you progressing further up the pitch. It’s also easier to disguise.

Doing what McNulty done gains you no advantage whatsoever and is very likely to gain you a booking.
    It stopped the game, got him a booking and provoked that utter twat McGregor to try and give him a kick, leading to the Hun being sent off. Win-win. The stamp on Clare in the derby on the other hand, dumb as ****.