hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Dean Jones RIP

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Dean Jones RIP

Sad to hear of the death of Dean Jones at the age of only 59.

I wasn’t into cricket seriously until I spent three months travelling in Australia in my late teens. In Australia, depending on where you stay, your ethnic background etc, you might be into Aussie Rules, rugby league, rugby union, soccer. Come the summer (our winter) it was all about the cricket. It didnt have the connotations or associations it has in Scotland, it is simply universal.

During the time I was there, all the TV and radio news, and the printed press could talk about was whether Dean Jones would be recalled to the national side. This was obviously pre-internet days but I was familiar with how football dominated the Scottish media. Australian cricket coverage was even more ramped up than that. I got really drawn to the saga about whether he would be recalled

Anyway, I got to see him live. He seemed to be a bit of a character but had a top-class batting average and I think was in two Ashes wins and a World Cup win. The first time I saw him play was on his much-debated recall in a ODI against NZ at the MCG where he rattled off an 82 in a comfortable Aussie win. It was some team - Allan Border was still skipper but the likes of Matthew Hayden and Shane Warne were breaking in, and then you had the Waughs in the middle order and McDermott and Hughes leading the pace attack.

Dean Jones - fine, fine cricketer.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Cracking cricketer. As you say seemed a bit of a character. Young age to die. RIP Dean

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He was before my time but his record speaks for itself. It said on the news last night that he was credited with changing the style of play of the one day game. RIP.

United we stand here....

I remember an elegant left-hand batsman. Is he the one?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember an elegant left-hand batsman. Is he the one?
    Dean Jpnes was a right-hander, was it an Australian batsman from that period you were thinking of? If so, that would narrow it down.

As per LB's post, DJ changed the nature of the ODI game by pursuing a more aggressive style. Probably similar to the way Adam Gilchrist changed the wicket keeper role across all formats.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars