hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leanne leads survival talks

Leanne to lead on discussions with senior Scottish clubs on how to cope with no fans at games for the foreseeable. We all want our clubs to survive and thrive but we need to bring the other divisions with us. We need the small clubs, who at the moment are living hand to mouth.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    As I mentioned on another thread I thought in the past in Scotland there were clubs that operated their budget on a “zero gate” principle - it may even have been Hamilton in the first division or whatever it was back then. This then forced the club to diversity and find additional revenue streams to become more financially Resilient and sustainable.

Going forward I think a “zero gate” view should form part of a measure of a clubs resilience maybe if we are to fulfil obligations an assessment is required to participate in the season? Anyway the problem for clubs even one that did all this and diversify is that the other revenue streams will likely be hit with the impact of varying degrees or lockdown.

Those with a lower cost base will be better placed and with the post-Vladsheep mobilisation the Jambos have. A platform for sustainability for them could be foundation of Hearts - as long as they move away from people at the helm making poor financial decisions with someone else’s money contributing to their high cost base - how much Boyce and Naismith on?

AberDNA and the Dons independent backers will be key but they have a high cost base in wages. Doubt that new stadium will be top priority although they might try to see if grants for such projects may be available to boost construction initiatives.

Brought first and foremost the immediate survival. Identify, secure and grow COVID era income whilst minimising cost base.
    Difficult for the smaller pubs as their cost base will be fairly minimal and many player contracts for lower leagues in Scotland only valid during the season.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Far out ideas, but maybe clubs should be wage capped for the coming or next season, no relegation and a percentage of gate receipts/tv, etc from all SPFL clubs are put directly into lower league clubs. Now is maybe the time for sellik to stop complaining about there being no proper competition in Scotland and actually contribute to the welfare and preservation of the game.
    All clubs pulling resources, after bills have been paid, may be the only way to save the game in Scotland.
    I can definitely see a massive drop in the sale of ST,s next season hit every club if we do not find a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Far out ideas, but maybe clubs should be wage capped for the coming or next season, no relegation and a percentage of gate receipts/tv, etc from all SPFL clubs are put directly into lower league clubs. Now is maybe the time for sellik to stop complaining about there being no proper competition in Scotland and actually contribute to the welfare and preservation of the game.
    All clubs pulling resources, after bills have been paid, may be the only way to save the game in Scotland.
    I can definitely see a massive drop in the sale of ST,s next season hit every club if we do not find a vaccine.
    Celtic and Rangers don’t care.

All they care about is 10 in a row / can they stop 10 in a row.

Zero chance they will help other clubs financially.

I’ve said for years too many clubs in Scotland - some clubs have done nothing to improve infrastructure and just chucked money at the 1st team.

Paul Hartley chucking the youth set up at Alloa and Falkirk for example for 1st team glory.

The only suggestion I would make is you refresh Scottish football and the top league is 16/18 teams with an application process to allow the best run clubs in - (hitting certain criteria) then lower down its regionalised.

Leeann

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    We should skim a percentage off the final Premiership prize money and put it in a coronavirus ‘solidarity fund’ or similar.

Could even look at halting the prize money from the Scottish cup now and ring fencing that. Clubs don’t budget for cup runs to Hampden so won’t miss it.

We should also be looking to get the league sponsored for a start! Even if you have to lower the expectations for a year

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    Clubs don’t budget for cup runs to Hampden so won’t miss it.
    Hearts did. Im sure budge was going on about the semi final not going ahead as planned blowing a huge hole in her "budget"

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyraiser View Post
    Hearts did. Im sure budge was going on about the semi final not going ahead as planned blowing a huge hole in her "budget"

F*** Hearts. They have proved themselves entirely incapable of considering the wider picture or the overall health of Scottish football. Just ignore them and don’t return their phone calls.

They can read about whatever plan is agreed in the papers, once Leeann and other grown ups have worked it out.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

I’ve said for years too many clubs in Scotland - some clubs have done nothing to improve infrastructure and just chucked money at the 1st team.

Paul Hartley chucking the youth set up at Alloa and Falkirk for example for 1st team glory.

The only suggestion I would make is you refresh Scottish football and the top league is 16/18 teams with an application process to allow the best run clubs in - (hitting certain criteria) then lower down its regionalised.
    I suspect doing away with youth teams is based on more of a strategy than 1st team glory. The cost v benefit conundrum. Falkirk and Alloa can sign sign players cast off by bigger clubs and develop them at an age where they will be ready for first team action (18,19,20 year olds). Probably much cheaper than youth academies.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyraiser View Post
    im surprised Queen Anne is not chairing this....

Or more drastic, when stadiums begin to gradually open, we allow access to cash paying fans only, I know, WTF, we paid for our ST,s, just a radical idea.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Too many professional clubs, definitely.

But in this situation I don't know that blaming numbers is right. Most clubs in the country spend within their means, diversify their operations and get the community involved to generate extra revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Too many professional clubs, definitely.

But in this situation I don't know that blaming numbers is right. Most clubs in the country spend within their means, diversify their operations and get the community involved to generate extra revenue.
    The community part I understand as of course won’t want some places where there isn’t much else about..Alloa for example to lose a club as it means something for youths to do.

But at same time clubs like Livi using the community to their benefit and getting the 3G paid for is a bit cheeky.

The quality of some of the Scottish stadiums is awful and these need to be improved - toilets / facilities etc.

Clubs like Spartans have better set ups than some I’ve visited with Hibs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The community part I understand as of course won’t want some places where there isn’t much else about..Alloa for example to lose a club as it means something for youths to do.

But at same time clubs like Livi using the community to their benefit and getting the 3G paid for is a bit cheeky.

The quality of some of the Scottish stadiums is awful and these need to be improved - toilets / facilities etc.

Clubs like Spartans have better set ups than some I’ve visited with Hibs.
    Livi don't own their stadium, West Lothian Council do.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    im surprised Queen Anne is not chairing this....
    Still working with her task force to come up with a proposal to save Scottish football by a reconstruction that doesn't involve relegating the team that finished bottom.

A statement will follow shortly.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due
    Covid-19 has put most clubs on the same as a war footing, with little or no money coming in and wages going out, its only a matter of time before teams will go broke without help!
    I was blasted on here for saying that maybe Budgie was right to ask players to take a 50% cut in wages at the outset of this.
    Remember we are now having to pay extra to players now we are back playing with no money coming in.
    As for Government giving us money, Leeann will need to be asking Boris for the money as SNP cannot raise funds on its own??
    This is a doomsday scenario for most smaller clubs, though they are used to living on smaller gates, they would still be getting some cash from gate receipts not nothing at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I suspect doing away with youth teams is based on more of a strategy than 1st team glory. The cost v benefit conundrum. Falkirk and Alloa can sign sign players cast off by bigger clubs and develop them at an age where they will be ready for first team action (18,19,20 year olds). Probably much cheaper than youth academies.
    Exactly - there is no need for any of these teams to run academies. And there is plenty argument for Hibs etc not doing it either until 16+

Testimonial Due
    According to the Record a number of Premiership clubs are struggling. If the old firm don't help out there will no league and no ten in a row.

There will be no crowds coming into grounds this season. That makes the lower leagues not viable. Unless there us some government support they will have to be moth balled. It puts the season's cup competitions at risk.

With some old firm help and government money we might finish the premiership.

Next season is up in the air to. If there is a second wave I think the premiership is at risk. Maybe no football till 2022/2023.

First Team Breakthrough
    We are living in "interesting times". We're nowhere near a solution to Covid, Brexit hits in about 20 weeks, and the President of the USA is threatening to end democracy in that country. And that's without considering the looming global environmental collapse. We'll be enduring a lot worse than a few football clubs going to the wall. Apologies for such a gloomy post.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    We are living in "interesting times". We're nowhere near a solution to Covid, Brexit hits in about 20 weeks, and the President of the USA is threatening to end democracy in that country. And that's without considering the looming global environmental collapse. We'll be enduring a lot worse than a few football clubs going to the wall. Apologies for such a gloomy post.
    'Rodney hasn't had a bit for months.' As Uncle Albert said in Only Fools and Horses. Don't worry, I know how you feel.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    According to the Record a number of Premiership clubs are struggling. If the old firm don't help out there will no league and no ten in a row.

There will be no crowds coming into grounds this season. That makes the lower leagues not viable. Unless there us some government support they will have to be moth balled. It puts the season's cup competitions at risk.

With some old firm help and government money we might finish the premiership.

Next season is up in the air to. If there is a second wave I think the premiership is at risk. Maybe no football till 2022/2023.
    ‘If the old firm don’t help out’ - sorry but I think that argument is a nonsense. Will hibs help out? We are struggling like every other club in Scotland. The old firm will be struggling as well. I’m also not sure why we wouldn’t have football for nearly 2 years.

We can’t slate the old firm every week and then expect them to bail clubs out. This is why we have governing bodies to come up with some much needed finances, and a government that needs to help as its their decision to cut this revenue stream.

Do you expect clubs to merge or cease so that there’s the right amount of clubs in Scotland ?

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Do you expect clubs to merge or cease so that there’s the right amount of clubs in Scotland ?
    Problem with mergers in football is that your nearest neighbour and therefore the most obvious partner also tends to be your deadliest rival - fans would never stand for it. The argument for one big team in Fife (for example) is tempting, a population near twice that of Aberdeen would be a decent sized potential fan base and give Scotland another 'big' football team - as long as Dunfermile, Raith, Cowdenbeath fans came along. Fans support their club though and they are passionate.....could you ever dream of cheering on Edinburgh Utd?

I think there is an argument for a two division league, for me its about sharing revenues and giving youth a chance.....mergers though I don't think are a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    Problem with mergers in football is that your nearest neighbour and therefore the most obvious partner also tends to be your deadliest rival - fans would never stand for it. The argument for one big team in Fife (for example) is tempting, a population near twice that of Aberdeen would be a decent sized potential fan base and give Scotland another 'big' football team - as long as Dunfermile, Raith, Cowdenbeath fans came along. Fans support their club though and they are passionate.....could you ever dream of cheering on Edinburgh Utd?

I think there is an argument for a two division league, for me its about sharing revenues and giving youth a chance.....mergers though I don't think are a starter.
    Edinburgh United? I’ve cheered them on. They play at Patties Road in the East of Scotland League.

I agree with the point that you’re making. Too many people appear to be happy to do away with other clubs. But not their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Edinburgh United? I’ve cheered them on. They play at Patties Road in the East of Scotland League.

I agree with the point that you’re making. Too many people appear to be happy to do away with other clubs. But not their own.

Part of the problem is that clubs have taken an over-optimistic view of how the pandemic would develop. Everything has been based on assuming that the whole thing would be over in a few months. If I was involved in running a lower division part-time club any professional contracts offered would have been dependent on fans getting back to games and I'd have advocated not starting playing again until then. If that meant fielding a team of amateurs or even not playing this season so be it.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I’ve long argued that Football authorities caught asleep at the wheel. The money sloshing into the game from football has perhaps blinded some and covered up some underlying condiitions.

My argument is that since the warning signs of clubs dicing with administration, owners unfit to own, financial fair play rules “ignored” football authorities have done little I can see of consequence - in particular to the sustainability of the game. It has always been focused on growth and enrichment although you could maybe argue thAt fees trickling down for the development of players goes a little way.

Clubs clearly need protecting from themselves as they chase the dream and dollars offered by would-be suitors.

Fitness to own tests appear unfit themselves.
    If the football authorities are not about the sustainability of the game what are they doing? Devising tweaks to offside rules,messing with balls, arranging ever more complex tournaments and messing with the football calendar taking world cups
    Into winter).

What about grassroots what about facilities for supoorters, especially disabled, support/subsidies for away supporters?

Where did all the tv money go? Would love to see the breakdown.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Where did all the tv money go? Would love to see the breakdown.
    Very little TV money has ever gone into Scottish football. What is recieved goes into meeting staff costs, including player salaries which are not as large as people think.

Season ticket and match day income are far larger proportions of income for all Scottish clubs, including Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Given how it’s kicked off this morning on Twitter she clearly shouldn’t have bothered trying to help. Leave it to the Aberdeen boy in future since the press are so keen on him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    Given how it’s kicked off this morning on Twitter she clearly shouldn’t have bothered trying to help. Leave it to the Aberdeen boy in future since the press are so keen on him.
    not on Twitter, what’s the story?