hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott McKenna

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Scott McKenna

Signs for Nottingham Forest for £6 million.

I just don't get the hype around this laddie - I've seen him a fair bit over the years (best mate is a Dons fan and has dragged me to that soulless dump of a stadium, or a few away games) and I don't get the plaudits he appears to attract.

He's a big, imposing lump of a centre back that is effective in the air, but he's an absolute liability on the ground with the ball at his feet. Granted, his ability to wind up Morelos whenever they play Sevco is quite a thing to behold...

Am I really missing something

2. Log in to remove the advert

No smoke without fire. Hes obviously a good player and theres been teams sniffing about him for a couple of years now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I just don't get the hype around this laddie - I've seen him a fair bit over the years (best mate is a Dons fan and has dragged me to that soulless dump of a stadium, or a few away games) and I don't get the plaudits he appears to attract.

He's a big, imposing lump of a centre back that is effective in the air, but he's an absolute liability on the ground with the ball at his feet. Granted, his ability to wind up Morelos whenever they play Sevco is quite a thing to behold...

I don't get it either. Talked up big time by his bearded ex hun manager.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    I don't get it either. Talked up big time by his bearded ex hun manager.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Have you seen McInnes look of late

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

If Harry Maguire can go for £90m odd then £6m is good value. In all seriousness, fair play to Aberdeen holding out for a good fee and hopefully the start of Scottish clubs getting our players true value from English clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    If Harry Maguire can go for £90m odd then £6m is good value. In all seriousness, fair play to Aberdeen holding out for a good fee and hopefully the start of Scottish clubs getting our players true value from English clubs.
    Its all about the length of contract. If we keep letting players get to their last year, they'll keep moving for cheap.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Thought it was 3m plus possible 2 in add ons. Think he will do well in championship

@hibs.net private member
    He's a good player. Not sure he's worth that money though.

I've wondered out loud on here before that we talk up Ryan Porteous but clubs like Bayern sign the young defender from Celtic and now McKenna is off. Meanwhile Porteous is still with us.....

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I've wondered out loud on here before that we talk up Ryan Porteous but clubs like Bayern sign the young defender from Celtic and now McKenna is off. Meanwhile Porteous is still with us.....
    I would love Porteous to stay with us throughout his whole career! Why do we always seem desperate to sell our best players?

Honestly this is great for us

Abderdeen's results this season have been based around their solid defence and now that's been disrupted big time, look how much they struggled at the weekend without him

I think in the English market it’s decent value. If he does well he’ll move to the EPL for £10m+.

Weakens Aberdeen too which is a bonus. Little surprised Celtic didn’t make a last minute move like they normally do!

When the time is right for the club and Porteous to move on, I can see us getting at least £5m. He won’t be short of offers I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good player. He gets slated on here but how many times did we manage to beat Aberdeen when he was playing? They will miss him hugely as their humping by motherwell shows.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    6M is a shedload of money in Scotland if they plan to reinvest it back into the team.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought it was 3m plus possible 2 in add ons. Think he will do well in championship
    Think you are right, the £6m was speculation based on that being what Aberdeen turned down last year.

For them to reach that figure, its appearance and caps based.

Good sell on clause though, like us with McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    6M is a shedload of money in Scotland if they plan to reinvest it back into the team.
    Seemingly they won't be, at least not with the cash they're getting up front

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/...bolster-squad/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post
    I think in the English market it’s decent value. If he does well he’ll move to the EPL for £10m+.

Weakens Aberdeen too which is a bonus. Little surprised Celtic didn’t make a last minute move like they normally do!

When the time is right for the club and Porteous to move on, I can see us getting at least £5m. He won’t be short of offers I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They might of if they didn’t get Duffy. I think Duffy is a much better player than McKenna is.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Good

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I would love Porteous to stay with us throughout his whole career! Why do we always seem desperate to sell our best players?
    I'm not saying we should, just wondering why no other club has even tried to get him. As far as I'm aware at least......

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    I'm not saying we should, just wondering why no other club has even tried to get him. As far as I'm aware at least......
    Wouldn't stress yourself out mate. I'd imagine it's because he's years younger than McKenna, has had to get over injuries and is only now establishing himself as a consistent rock in our defence.

Tattersalls are reporting this as a record breaking fee .......for a donkey.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Tattersalls are reporting this as a record breaking fee .......for a donkey.
    Donkey. He's no Van Dyke, but in Scottish terms he's a very good centre half. Seen some crap written about him being slow and a liability, FFS i wish we'd had him in our back 4 for the last 5 or 6 years, and were getting the money they are for such a bad player.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Donkey. He's no Van Dyke, but in Scottish terms he's a very good centre half. Seen some crap written about him being slow and a liability, FFS i wish we'd had him in our back 4 for the last 5 or 6 years, and were getting the money they are for such a bad player.
    Ok liberal use of the term donkey but likewise your use of "very" is liberal. It is all relative. Over-rated IMO. In international terms and I suspect even at Championship level, never mind Premier level, he ain't no thoroughbred. If I am proved wrong I'll don a donkey suit and give you a day of free rides on the beach.

Our view is possibly tainted as we saw him have a nightmare against us at ER when we won 3-0.

He hasn’t had many games that bad.

Also - English football is weird. Excellent players can go and make minimal impact. Average players can be very successful, and it’s often down to physical attributes. He’s a bit of a big lump, and very average big lumps can carve out great careers there (I always thought John Terry was very average whereas Rio Ferdinand was a top player).

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Have you seen McInnes look of late
    Does he still resemble “Littlefinger” from Game of Thrones?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Pish!

But just IMHO

McKenna has 2 or 3 years on Porteous. I think Porteous will become a better player. He isn't far off it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    McKenna has 2 or 3 years on Porteous. I think Porteous will become a better player. He isn't far off it now.
    He does, no question about that but Hickey has now signed for Bologna and he is younger than Porteous.

I’d be surprised if there haven’t been enquiries but he’s got a long contract and probably enjoying playing for the team he supports. Another 2/3 seasons and if he drastically improves I’m sure there be firmer offers. In the meantime, enjoy him while we got him.