hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Lewis Stevenson

In case anyone had forgotten that he’s still a hugely important player for us, today proved what he can do. Shored up the back line at a time of pressure, was always open for a pass and and looked to get forward.

Doig is an excellent player and hopefully the future for us but we need Lewis at the club. Chuffed for him today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Made a difference when he came on ..big call for Ross to move to a back 4 then - worked a treat

Made a huge difference when he came on my only gripe was the change should have been made at HT as it was clear young Doig was struggling defensively..however a good lesson for the young man

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Indeed. Doig was under sustained pressure for a long spell and I actually thought he may have been subbed a little earlier. Learning experience for him but Stevenson came on along with a change in shape and it definitely have us a little breathing space.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Made a difference when he came on ..big call for Ross to move to a back 4 then - worked a treat
    It was the obvious call imo and at least 15 minutes too late

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    He will still have a massive part to play this season.

Today (again) showed how lucky we are to have him.

I think now is the time to take Doig out the firing line for a few weeks. He struggled a bit against a couple of very good players and his inexperience showed, he'll learn though.

That's how you should be managing young players and we are fortunate we are in a strong position both in terms of league position and results and also having an excellent, experienced replacement ready to slot in. We don't have to leave a young player in the deep end, put LS in for a few weeks and give Doig another run in time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Well played Lewis

He settled us down significantly and we went to a back four which also helped.

Look fit, passed well and slotted in as he always done.

Takes a true pro to come on in a game like that after hardly kicking a ball for months and play like that. Absolutely excellent - we have 2 good options at left back now which is great but I was always sure Lewis would remain a big player for us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Made a huge difference when he came on my only gripe was the change should have been made at HT as it was clear young Doig was struggling defensively..however a good lesson for the young man
    Your not alone mate , Jack Ross said as much post match on Hibs TV . Said he was kicking himself as he felt he should’ve changed it earlier

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Him coming on and the tweak to the formation 'sorted us out' at the back... being sorted there allowed to guys up front to do their thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Young Doig is going to be a great player for us but he was struggling to cope defensively today and was really exposed for the equaliser. Stevenson steadied the ship when he came on and the sub allowed Boyle to play further forward.

@hibs.net private member
    Never lets us down. Love the guy.

One more game and he equals Eddie Turnbull’s appearances.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be seriously considering giving Lewis a game next week from the start. I've been pushing for us to bring in some competition at left back but he made a huge difference today.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    In case anyone had forgotten that he’s still a hugely important player for us, today proved what he can do. Shored up the back line at a time of pressure, was always open for a pass and and looked to get forward.

Doig is an excellent player and hopefully the future for us but we need Lewis at the club. Chuffed for him today.
    Spot on. I felt much safer defensively when Lewis came on.

Doig will be learning constantly from Lewie as well in training.

I think I've said it on more than a few occasions on here. But I actually love the man. My favourite ever Hibs player. Club legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Young Doig is going to be a great player for us but he was struggling to cope defensively today and was really exposed for the equaliser. Stevenson steadied the ship when he came on and the sub allowed Boyle to play further forward.
    Yes, but great players don't become great without tests like these. He'll have learned a lot from today and he'll take great comfort from the faith Jack Ross has shown and continues to show in him.

Stevenson did well when he came on. He has been a great player for us an continues to make a valuable contribution.

I'd persevere with young Doig personally. The coaches will know best.

I personally thought Lewis might start today but the young lad did well again but was tiring badly in second half.

I was pleased when Lewis came on and the switch allowed some players to play further up the park and it worked a treat.

We were a bit fragile at the start of the second half and i thought maybe Ross would have brought him on at half time but when he did come on and the play switched you could see the difference in the confidence he brought with him.

He actually calmed things down on that side allowing others to get up front and play their game. I like Doig and he is an excellent prospect. he will learn a lot from Lewis and come into his own in time.

Its great for Hibs to have such an experienced player in the wings to come on and make a difference and nurture the younger player.

so well done again Lewis and Hibs too.

Young Doig is the future whether that's at LB or as Hanlon's successor but he is still a youngster and before this season his experience was Div 2 at Queens Park, so it's only natural he'll make the odd mistake. He's seemingly working under Stevenson's wing, so that can only be a good thing, maybe as a couple have said it's time to give him a wee break and with Celtic up next week, it might be good to have wee Lewis back in the team.

I thought it suited us to have them play part of the game each.

Doig is younger and nimbler and Rangers are outstanding at pulling you all over the place. They often tire later in games as a result.

It was a tough shift for Doug but I think he did well.

It’ll be Forrest next week, who Stevenson has been known to keep very quiet, and it’ll be interesting to see how Ross approaches it.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-09-2020 at 08:05 PM.

I would like to see them rotate all season.. excellent prospect learning from a club legend.

Doig allows Hibs to play a far more expansive game but Stevenson is a much better defender. Both are a compromise and it's up to Ross to decide which of them is the right guy at the right time.
    Today's game was shouting out for Lewis to come on and steady the ship in the second half and when he came on things settled down. Great defender and still an essential part at left back.

Will still have a big part to play this season.

No qualms putting Doig in. Lad has done really well for us considering his age but he was always going to be tested today against the type of players he was up against. Good to see Lewy can come on and can use his experience to see the game out. Also never griped about being left out and seems genuinely happy to help Doig settle into the team. Top pro, will miss Mr Hibs when he does retire.

Still a very good player as long as you don’t expect him to play up and down the left side on his own. He can’t play the wing back role when we play a back 3, but change it to the 4 like today and with players to work with and it works a treat. Solid and dependable. Composure in abundance today as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It was the obvious call imo and at least 15 minutes too late

I think in his interview after the game Jack Ross admitted he was too slow in making that sub.

Refreshingly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpakeisgod View Post
    Your not alone mate , Jack Ross said as much post match on Hibs TV . Said he was kicking himself as he felt he should’ve changed it earlier

Ops missed that

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Lewis was really good when he came on, though I’d start Doig next week - games like these are really important in his development, he’ll have learned a lot today.

Lewis looked like he’d never been out the team, he’ll have an important role to play this season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Need to be careful not to give Doig burnout. Lewis might start next week.