hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can the game in Scotland survive with no crowds till April 2021

As the heading says we are moving into very difficult times for the future of the game we all love and perhaps even for the future of our own club as we know it. Perhaps we need to help even more, contribute what we can for as long as we can-Thoughts-discuss.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    The game will survive until April 2021 - there is no way the game will not survive, no way.

If this goes through to April, there'll be huge pressure on Government to help out. It's a nonsense that folk can drink inside a pub but can't sit in the fresh air socially distanced at a football match.

Football in Scotland doesn't have the £ billions down south, so every reason for Government (UK and Scottish) to help the game survive up here - right down to gras roots level. In fact, there could be logic in imposing a special tax on English Premiership clubs to help fund the wider game across the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The game will survive until April 2021 - there is no way the game will not survive, no way.
    When I say the game I really mean the teams that make up the game in Scotland, all the smaller clubs along with Highland & Lowland teams can they survive in the present form, Teams like hertz may survive due to benny-factor but what about the rest. I am not so sure that Scottish football can survive in its present form without supporters and some big money from government.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    If this goes through to April, there'll be huge pressure on Government to help out. It's a nonsense that folk can drink inside a pub but can't sit in the fresh air socially distanced at a football match.

Football in Scotland doesn't have the £ billions down south, so every reason for Government (UK and Scottish) to help the game survive up here - right down to gras roots level. In fact, there could be logic in imposing a special tax on English Premiership clubs to help fund the wider game across the UK.
    Personally think playing with no fans just now is better for us than if we were to open up with only a couple of thousand there.
    All the fans would be season ticket holders so the club would have extra match day overheads with no extra cash coming in!!
    It'd be ok for clubs with smaller fan bases but Hibs will need crowds back to normal to make it work.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    When I say the game I really mean the teams that make up the game in Scotland, all the smaller clubs along with Highland & Lowland teams can they survive in the present form, Teams like hertz may survive due to benny-factor but what about the rest. I am not so sure that Scottish football can survive in its present form without supporters and some big money from government.

The clubs will still be here come April, some may hibernate, some may be cash-strapped, some may even be New Companies, they will still be there though.

The clubs will still be here come April, some may hibernate, some may be cash-strapped, some may even be New Companies, they will still be there though.
    Time will tell I guess, I think some if not more than just some may go to the wall by Xmas time, hope I am completly wrong in this.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Some of the smaller clubs will go out of business, including perhaps some in the top division. They will be replaced by others who are fortunate to be less weighed down by debt for example. Scottish football will survive but I think it will have very different clubs and maybe not even four divisions

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs will be fine but I fear for clubs lower down the pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Yip. Think hearts could be in serious do do.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Some of the smaller clubs will go out of business, including perhaps some in the top division. They will be replaced by others who are fortunate to be less weighed down by debt for example. Scottish football will survive but I think it will have very different clubs and maybe not even four divisions
    This I tend to agree with, we may be faced with a different set up, perhaps the uglies will finally get to **** moving to Engurland, amongst the big money. Leave the rest of us to get on with what we can once this is over.

Testimonial Due
    I think the lower leagues will be moth balled for one but probably two seasons. We are not going to out of this pandemic until 2022. Top league will survive this season but will probably big redundancies for next season as season ticket sales fall as people become hit economically. There are going to be a lot of redundancies in the lower leagues. Government are racking up big debt on top the debt run as a result of the financial recession.Government will focus on saving key parts of the economy.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I’m sticking with the view that all our clubs will still be here by the time we get back to something like ‘normal’.

Might not be any games for lower league clubs this season and I doubt we’ll see fans back at top flight games any time soon but I still don’t see any clubs going bust.

For how long though? How much money does it take to run Hibs every month?

Where does that money come from without people going to watch the games?

Hibs have never seemed to have much money even with weekly big games, cup bonuses, tv money, millions of pounds earned in transfer fees etc.

Worrying times for football clubs.

This season will be fine. Tough, but we will get through it.

The problem is when it comes to next years season ticket renewals. Will we still get 13k people prepared to pay for a season ticket if we are still in the same situation. What if many of our normal paying punters find their income is reduced for a variety of reasons and have to prioritise.

There is a world of difference between the top level in england and other teams. No way will the EPL be bailed out when they are sheling out money on transfer fees and salaries

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    This season will be fine. Tough, but we will get through it.

The problem is when it comes to next years season ticket renewals. Will we still get 13k people prepared to pay for a season ticket if we are still in the same situation. What if many of our normal paying punters find their income is reduced for a variety of reasons and have to prioritise.

There is a world of difference between the top level in england and other teams. No way will the EPL be bailed out when they are sheling out money on transfer fees and salaries
    Meanwhile, Wolves have just signed a right back for £37m.

As you say, a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Substantial cost cutting will be needed at all levels of Scottish football if no fans are in the grounds for the season

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    For how long though? How much money does it take to run Hibs every month?

Where does that money come from without people going to watch the games?

Hibs have never seemed to have much money even with weekly big games, cup bonuses, tv money, millions of pounds earned in transfer fees etc.

Worrying times for football clubs.
    April. That was the question I answered.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Great point. Time for the UK government to show the “the broad shoulders” of “our precious Union” in action.

Chances? Zero!

Left by mutual consent!

I agree with your latter suggestion but it kind of goes against the spirit of 'help the rich and **** the poor' spirit of UK government.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    But not as we currently know it, clubs will fail & some will have to go part time. Those expecting Government hand outs, don't hold your breath.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    But not as we currently know it, clubs will fail & some will have to go part time. Those expecting Government hand outs, don't hold your breath.
    Agreed. The Scottish Government will have more pressing needs to meet than bailing out football clubs.

At today's PMQs, Ben Bradley, Tory MP for Mansfield and Mansfield Town fan, asked about help for clubs. Pretty sure something will happen. What the UK government does, the Scottish government will match.

It's not even likely to be April. Brace yourselves for fans not being in allowed until August at the earliest. We're looking at no vaccine til next year, possibly mid next year, then it needs to be distributed and given. Fans won't be back until then imo.

Looks like the BBC have nicked my thread with latest story

As it says it looks like the BBC have been trawling Hibs net and have picked up on my story/thread asking if we/the game can survive through to April next year wi no supporters getting into games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54264389

This could end up bringing on a forced rationalisation and change to Scottish football that a lot of people have been calling for over the years. Like we are finding out about a lot of businesses and organisations they are living hand to mouth and if there are no customers it just isn't viable.

Will be very sad to see but I expect clubs in Scotland and England to dissapear as professional clubs if the fans aren't allowed in this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Will the people who committed to a season ticket for this season, knowing that they'd see limited games, be willing to stump up full pruce again next season? A big ask for many supporters, very worrying for the club. The financial stability of the club is obviously the key concern, if that means selling our main assets to balance the books then we'll just have to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    This could end up bringing on a forced rationalisation and change to Scottish football that a lot of people have been calling for over the years. Like we are finding out about a lot of businesses and organisations they are living hand to mouth and if there are no customers it just isn't viable.

Will be very sad to see but I expect clubs in Scotland and England to dissapear as professional clubs if the fans aren't allowed in this season.
    Clubs in the lowest division up here have coped for years playing in front of crowds of 3/400 plus inputs of cash from various sources.They’re used to getting by on next to nothing and will continue to do so. It’s the clubs with ambition who will suffer.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Will the people who committed to a season ticket for this season, knowing that they'd see limited games, be willing to stump up full pruce again next season? A big ask for many supporters, very worrying for the club. The financial stability of the club is obviously the key concern, if that means selling our main assets to balance the books then we'll just have to accept it.
    The big negative in selling our assets, is that other clubs will be in the same predicament, so no money to buy them!!!
    Only big money buyers are down South, and how many of our players are of that standard????

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    The big negative in selling our assets, is that other clubs will be in the same predicament, so no money to buy them!!!
    Only big money buyers are down South, and how many of our players are of that standard????
    I think most of us saw this season's ST as funds to keep the club going. Hopefully come next summer, things will be a little bit more normal and fans will be itching to get back. With this in mind, is there an argument that we could have record sales or do we think people will have gotten out of the habit of going?