hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh right, over 38 games, he single handedly gave it away? Don't be silly. That's like saying Conrad Logan single handedly cost us promotion because of the mistake in the playoffs. Or Liam Fontaine single handedly lost us the league cup. It's absolute rubbish. It's a team game. Gerrard made a mistake but they had 45 minutes either side of it and done nothing. They also blew the 3 goal lead at palace.
    Pretty sure that Gerrard played in the 3-3 game at Palace, and most of the other 37 games. As I say, a loser. You'll be saying next that Amadou, dou, dou didn't single-handedly get us into Europe with his goal against The Mothers. Now there was a legend.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He was a quality player who won plenty trophies. The premier league just eluded him. He could've gone to any team in the world and won the league, though. Seperate the quality player from the tosser of a man, its not difficult.
    who was he better than, in the european teams in the top leagues that won the league?

@hibs.net private member
    Dont think he's covered himself in glory at Rangers but that shouldn't tarnish all he's achieved before. He was certainly a class player.

Rangers as a club are clearly carrying a big chip on their shoulders and it would do Gerrard good to escape that environment before too long. I think he's shown promising signs as a manager.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    The premier league just 'eluded' him? He single-handedly gave it away!
    😂 Don’t talk daft.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Hard to play when crippled. He wasn't allowed to sign for another club.
    That’s a cracker! Totally untrue but matches some of the other dross on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    who was he better than, in the european teams in the top leagues that won the league?
    Plenty of players. He finished 3rd in the ballon d'Or in 2005, behind Lampard and Ronaldinho so pretty much everyone

Some midfield players who won top leagues between 2005-2015

Darren Fletcher
    Darren Gibson
    Michael Carrick
    John Obi Mikel
    Sully muntari
    Kevin prince boateng
    Anatoliy Tymoshchuk
    Mark van bommel
    Edmilson
    Stefano sturaro
    Mo diarra

That's just a few. Some decent players there but not one could lace Gerrard's boots on his best day. No doubt many, many more as well.

Pretty sure that Gerrard played in the 3-3 game at Palace, and most of the other 37 games. As I say, a loser. You'll be saying next that Amadou, dou, dou didn't single-handedly get us into Europe with his goal against The Mothers. Now there was a legend.
    Won the CL against an absolutely amazing Milan side. As I say, a winner.

Plenty of players. He finished 3rd in the ballon d'Or in 2005, behind Lampard and Ronaldinho so pretty much everyone

Some midfield players who won top leagues between 2005-2015

Darren Fletcher
    Darren Gibson
    Michael Carrick
    John Obi Mikel
    Sully muntari
    Kevin prince boateng
    Anatoliy Tymoshchuk
    Mark van bommel
    Edmilson
    Stefano sturaro
    Mo diarra

That's just a few. Some decent players there but not one could lace Gerrard's boots on his best day. No doubt many, many more as well.
    comparing him to a squad player. think you've answered my question thanks

Won the CL against an absolutely amazing Milan side. As I say, a winner.
    That game, as I said, he was truly great. 'Single-handedly' brought his team back from the dead. A winner that (one) day.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    He continues to refer to Porto's tackle when he was sent off in the hun game last season, called it horrific. I seem to remember him being sent off in a Merseyside derby for a real horrific tackle two feet and off the ground which connected!

Jesus, Porto's tackle was a cuddle next to that, yes he was young - as is Porto - yes his team were losing - as was Porto's, short memory and as many have said - classless prick.

Was a fine player in his day but short memory!

That game, as I said, he was truly great. 'Single-handedly' brought his team back from the dead. A winner that (one) day.
    What about a year later, 2 world class goals in the fa cup final?

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    comparing him to a squad player. think you've answered my question thanks
    Who is the squad player? I said he was considerably better than all of them. From about 2005-2010 he gets in every league winning team in the top leagues without question, probably with the exception of Barcelona in 2009 and 2010. He would get ahead of pretty much every player as an attacking midfielder during that period.

Strolls in any real Madrid side during that period, same with inter Milan and Bayern Munich. Would've also easily got in Man Uniteds side as their midfielder was nothing special.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 23-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.

What about a year later, 2 world class goals in the fa cup final?
    Can only remember one of them, was good - would say up there with Slivka's at Ibrox.

@hibs.net private member
    Who is the squad player? I said he was considerably better than all of them. From about 2005-2010 he gets in every league winning team in the top leagues without question, probably with the exception of Barcelona in 2009 and 2010. He would get ahead of pretty much every player as an attacking midfielder during that period.

Strolls in any real Madrid side during that period, same with inter Milan and Bayern Munich. Would've also easily got in Man Uniteds side as their midfielder was nothing special.

Too many on here are letting there dislike of his persona blur their memory of his many attributes as a player. Is Suarez a crap player? You have to separate ability from all the other stuff if you are rating him purely as a footballer. There are a lot of nice guys in football but very few bear comparison with Mother Theresa.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Too many on here are letting there dislike of his persona blur their memory of his many attributes as a player. Is Suarez a crap player? You have to separate ability from all the other stuff if you are rating him purely as a footballer. There are a lot of nice guys in football but very few bear comparison with Mother Theresa.
    Think the op asked if he was a classless prick. Answer is yes. It doesn't matter how good or bad a player he was. Still a prick.

As I said earlier, thought he was overrated but that is my opinion. He was world class in the way that any half decent player is built up by the English press. Not denying that he had his moments though.

Both the players you are talking about here were, as players, cheating diving gits.

Oh he is a classless prick of that I have little doubt. Emlyn Hughes was a better player and role model.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    He continues to refer to Porto's tackle when he was sent off in the hun game last season, called it horrific. I seem to remember him being sent off in a Merseyside derby for a real horrific tackle two feet and off the ground which connected!

Jesus, Porto's tackle was a cuddle next to that, yes he was young - as is Porto - yes his team were losing - as was Porto's, short memory and as many have said - classless prick.

Was a fine player in his day but short memory!

I think this thread has been sidetracked , Gerrard was a world class player and a winner no 2 ways about it

Gerrard moaning about Porteous shove on Morelos and failing to shake his hand makes him a complete muppet , For he was one that loved a leg breaker or 2

Too many people on here are using his playing career to defend his personal actions.

How about you concentrate on things he has said/done away from his playing career!

Should have been locked up for drunken assault of pub DJ because he wouldn't let him choose music?
    His statements since he became Sevco manager about everyone in Scottish Football being biased against them?

No doubting his playing career (albeit he was a dirty b'strd sometimes) but this thread is about the person NOT his playing career.

😁
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

@hibs.net private member
    Both the players you are talking about here were, as players, cheating diving gits.
    I gather you are not for turning

I don’t mind him.

Top player, some of those goals and performances in Europe were up there with the best I’ve seen.

He’s often been quite complimentary about us.

Obviously I can’t stand the club he’s at but he’s under a bucketload of pressure there and that will lead to him getting wound up. I think he’s wrong to be behaving how he is towards Porteous and I don’t think he’ll be a top manager until he learns to rise above stuff like that. Trickier at that club though, with the pressure that will exist to act like a fanny.

He’s improved them massively. Hopefully he falls flat on his face this season and I want nothing to happen more than for Rangers to die again, but I think he’s an excellent manager.

He needs to leave so I can properly like him again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tynie01011973 View Post
    Too many people on here are using his playing career to defend his personal actions.

How about you concentrate on things he has said/done away from his playing career!

Should have been locked up for drunken assault of pub DJ because he wouldn't let him choose music?
    His statements since he became Sevco manager about everyone in Scottish Football being biased against them?

No doubting his playing career (albeit he was a dirty b'strd sometimes) but this thread is about the person NOT his playing career.

😁

I am now standing in the corner with a pointy hat on.

Seems like the sort of bloke that can't express joy for others unless he is benefiting himself, which is probably why he's so miserable and also why he probably deserves to be.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Oh yeah, the gangster story. Yeah, I'm sure that would've happened. Not.

I’ve heard some rumours. They are not nice.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tynie01011973 View Post

😁

And yet - why are so many posters who are giving their opinion of his character using the opportunity to slag off his playing career at the same time. I don't mix the two, I try to address them separately and not use one against the other.

1. I have changed my thoughts on him as a person drastically since he came to Scotland as Sevco manager as he has a high media profile which continually highlights his radicalisation into the Sevco mentality.

2. I have not changed my high regard for him as a player.

See how I managed to separate the two entirely separate issues? I realise the original poster was discussing his character and not his playing ability but the post was hi-jacked long before I gave any opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I think this thread has been sidetracked , Gerrard was a world class player and a winner no 2 ways about it

Gerrard moaning about Porteous shove on Morelos and failing to shake his hand makes him a complete muppet , For he was one that loved a leg breaker or 2
    Been scrolling through what I would regard as 'world class' footballers, and I can't think of any who delighted in injuring other players. Can you give any examples other than Gerrard?

I gather you are not for turning

Been scrolling through what I would regard as 'world class' footballers, and I can't think of any who delighted in injuring other players. Can you give any examples other than Gerrard?
    I’d be amazed if there were many players who could get through a good few hundred games at the top level, playing a combative midfield role without ending up with the odd black mark against them.

I love Paul Scholes, better player than Gerrard. Some rotten tackles in his back catalogue though. Does the headbutt define Zidane?

Are you suggesting Gerrard delighted in injuring others? Bit of a reach that is.

i asked you what players in the top teams he would replace, you gave me a list of squad players. stolls into madrid, inter and bayern and replaces who that played