hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Deliberate own-goal (NHC)

I was talking football trivia with my son and from the depths of my memory, I told him about a player deliberately scoring an own goal. I seem to recall seeing footage of Arie Haan (Dutch Internationalist) walking the ball past his bemused goal-keeper and gently rolling it into the back of the net.

Does anyone else remember this? Have I just dreamt it or got the player wrong? Certainly can't find anything online regards to what I think I remember

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was talking football trivia with my son and from the depths of my memory, I told him about a player deliberately scoring an own goal. I seem to recall seeing footage of Arie Haan (Dutch Internationalist) walking the ball past his bemused goal-keeper and gently rolling it into the back of the net.

Does anyone else remember this? Have I just dreamt it or got the player wrong? Certainly can't find anything online regards to what I think I remember
    Not sure on that one,

But have a read of this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_q ualification)

Coaching Staff
    Roy Barry was rumoured to have scored 1 while playing in a reserve game for Hearts and wanting a move.

Not sure about the og but remember he scored a belter against Italy in the 78 World Cup.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    Not sure about the og but remember he scored a belter against Italy in the 78 World Cup.
    Yeah, I am well aware of the belters that he did score. It's just that I have a vague memory of seeing it on TV. It's a bit of a random name to pluck out of the air too!

You got the right player, though the circumstances are slightly different.

Here's the goal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snpdDsSFafk
    Last edited by Keith_M; 21-09-2020 at 03:23 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Here's the goal...

Cheers Keith, that's the problem with being an old fart, you can remember things, just not remember them correctly lol. I was so sure it was when Arie was playing for his national team but at least I got the "walking past the goalie with the ball" part correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Here's the goal...

Nice to hear Brian Moore pronouncing the Dutch side the way all of us did who grew up in the 70s.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Nice to hear Brian Moore pronouncing the Dutch side the way all of us did who grew up in the 70s.
    Brilliant times. Great names unforgettable heroes on cards and black and white pictures in two tourneys that Scotland were also iconic one way or another. Johnny Rep just had to be a footballer, had to be. Rensenbrink. Haan. Cruyff . Neeskens. One nil!

Cheers Keith, that's the problem with being an old fart, you can remember things, just not remember them correctly lol. I was so sure it was when Arie was playing for his national team but at least I got the "walking past the goalie with the ball" part correct!

It's terrible when you're getting on a bit and your brain doesn't.... ehm.... eh.... sorry what were we talking about again?