hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure Griffiths would actually get a game for us just now. None of us know his fitnesses either mental or physical level just now. He was a fantastic player but I’d rather we stayed well clear.
    The impression I get is that Ross isn't a "sob story, come to Hibs to feel better" kind of manager. If you aren't physically or mentally right to play for Hibs you're out or not coming back. He didn't **** around with Kamberi for instance, he was a goner. His ex captain McGinn, someone he knows and respects had to win a contract by weeks/months of hard work on the training pitch. I really like it to be honest.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The impression I get is that Ross isn't a "sob story, come to Hibs to feel better" kind of manager. If you aren't physically or mentally right to play for Hibs you're out or not coming back. He didn't **** around with Kamberi for instance, he was a goner. His ex captain McGinn, someone he knows and respects had to win a contract by weeks/months of hard work on the training pitch. I really like it to be honest.
    Who really knows wtf is up with Griffiths, but his career is petering out, one way or another. Another sorry tale of a guy who had all the talent but sadly, his brains are all in his feet. I very much doubt he'll end up back at Hibs unless he's paid off by Celtic and even then, why would we gamble with the wages he would require when we have the talent we already have up front at the club?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I know a lot of people don’t like taking players on loan from the Old Firm but if we can take a player on loan with quality better than what we have got then I am all for it.

Leigh Griffiths please
    Do we really want Leigh? I know he is a top player.. but do we want to drop KN to give him a game ?

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    We don't need another striker.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Until Doidge or Nisbet gets injured maybe.

Other than that we’ve only Gullan who hasn’t really proven anything yet or playing wingers up front.

One more would be ideal. You look at our bench even now and there isn’t a striker there you’re confident can come on and contribute.

In my opinion we do, we have 2. 1 will get injured or lose form. Gullan isn't an out and out striker and im not going with this Murphy, Boyle or Wright stuff they meed to play where they are most effective.

Just my opinion

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Until Doidge or Nisbet gets injured maybe.

Other than that we’ve only Gullan who hasn’t really proven anything yet or playing wingers up front.

One more would be ideal. You look at our bench even now and there isn’t a striker there you’re confident can come on and contribute.
    I agree, think we need another experienced forward in
    We don’t really have a replacement for Doidge

First Team Breakthrough
    I think the plan would be to move boyle up front if any injuries happen. Cant see us signing someone who would be happy to sit on bench as KN and Doidge won't be dropped

@hibs.net private member
    We really do. After another midfielder, it should be the priority. When Nisbet was out and Doidge looked isolated, it showed.

Wright isn't a striker, no matter what is said and Murphy isn't either.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Let’s play 4-3-3 with Nisbet / Doidge / Boyle across the front line.

Leigh can replace Doidge or Boyle as the Scottish Messi.

Gullan is back up in the David Villa role.

Ryan Shanley as back up to the Doidginator.

Murphy and Wright can play deeper or in the wide areas.

Mon the Hibs!

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome 😉

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Agree we need another striker. We look better playing two up front. If either Doidge or Nisbet need subbed or get injured we have no adequate cover for them IMO. Boyle can play there but I’d rather he was out wide not central.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    We really do. After another midfielder, it should be the priority. When Nisbet was out and Doidge looked isolated, it showed.

Wright isn't a striker, no matter what is said and Murphy isn't either.
    The young lads have to play at some point. The main reason Motherwell and others produce good young players is that the end up having to play them. We have plenty young cover to use if Nisbet or Doidge are out.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    In my opinion we do, we have 2. 1 will get injured or lose form. Gullan isn't an out and out striker and im not going with this Murphy, Boyle or Wright stuff they meed to play where they are most effective.

Just my opinion
    Gullan is a striker. He scores goals. He plays upfront. He's not suddenly become a winger just because someone says he likes to come in off the left. He's scored plenty tap-ins in his time.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The young lads have to play at some point. The main reason Motherwell and others produce good young players is that the end up having to play them. We have plenty young cover to use if Nisbet or Doidge are out.
    I'm with you on this. It's even more pertinent given the current circumstances. I think people can be a bit unrealistic in their expectations. As has been pointed out we have Murphy and Boyle who have played up front, as well as Gullan. Yes, both the experienced guys I mentioned are better deployed elsewhere, but we have some kind of reasonable contingency. In recent years it's been very rare to see a youngster appearing out the blue in the first team when injury or suspension requires a change.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I'm with you on this. It's even more pertinent given the current circumstances. I think people can be a bit unrealistic in their expectations. As has been pointed out we have Murphy and Boyle who have played up front, as well as Gullan. Yes, both the experienced guys I mentioned are better deployed elsewhere, but we have some kind of reasonable contingency. In recent years it's been very rare to see a youngster appearing out the blue in the first team when injury or suspension requires a change.
    People are just pointing out the gaps. If we can’t afford to fill them then fair enough.

We have plenty midfielders but that doesn’t stop the chat about gaps there in terms of cover or different types of players.

Games are generally won by scoring goals. Being short up front over a season is a bit of a risk.

@hibs.net private member
    Correct.

Coaching Staff
    Or the Motherwell players in question have been better?

James Scott for example was 19 when he had already played a number of first team games, scored goals and got a big transfer to Hull. Gullan is 21.

People are just pointing out the gaps. If we can’t afford to fill them then fair enough.

We have plenty midfielders but that doesn’t stop the chat about gaps there in terms of cover or different types of players.

Games are generally won by scoring goals. Being short up front over a season is a bit of a risk.
    We have to start making some money on these young players tho Andy. Surely this is the season to give them a go.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    We have to start making some money on these young players tho Andy. Surely this is the season to give them a go.
    They need to earn their chance though, not just be ‘given a go’

In order to be given more game time they have to make an impression wjen they do get small chances at the end of games coming off the bench.

James Scott for example was 19 when he had already played a number of first team games, scored goals and got a big transfer to Hull. Gullan is 21.
    So here is rub for me.... give him a go...if he doesn't produce we have to let them go. Any youth product hitting 20 and not in the team or not seen as adequate replacement shouldn't be at this level now.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

In order to be given more game time they have to make an impression wjen they do get small chances at the end of games coming off the bench.
    Nisbet and Doidge are on form. They arent getting dropped any time soon. Gullan could come on with 10 mins to go v Celtic, score the winner and he still wouldnt get in before teh main 2. But if one is injured and one of the young lads comes in and doesn't perform then we have to look to move them on.

If we sign another senior player in that area then we may as well sell Gullan now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Agree we aren't just going to make money by playing players that aren't ultimately good enough and that is what we've had recently. Porteous has shown that good players will go in and be played regularly.

Generally young players that are going to make us money you get a good sense pretty early on.

We also have to win football games and anyone that wants a game for Hibs, who should be in the top 3, should have to be good enough within a reasonable period.

At Motherwell Campbell was good enough to play 30 odd games in his first season as a teenager and has been a fixture since. Turnbull's break through year he played 30 games and scored 15 goals from midfield.

Yes, so is over extending ourselves financially. This isn't like any other season, a reality check needed for many of us in terms of the financial implications of no fans in the ground.

Coaching Staff
    Yes, so is over extending ourselves financially. This isn't like any other season, a reality check needed for many of us in terms of the financial implications of no fans in the ground.
    Okay so we should bin all current transfer chat because really we can put out a team every week as it is?

The club will manage what we do and don’t have to spend. We are just saying areas we’d like to see strengthened.

Our owner was talking about adding to the squad last week, so it’s not as if it’s just a case of fans having unreasonable expectations that we’ll be adding to the squad.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

As others have pointed out, players need to earn their opportunity and shouldn't be played simply because they have come through the youth academy. However it's difficult to argue against the fact we have been well behind other clubs in terms of giving youngsters a chance rather than signing a raft of short term squad fillers, as the two graphs from 2008 - 2019 indicate.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/20...-young-players

Screen+Shot+2020-01-03+at+9.18.04+AM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2020-01-02+at+1.40.51+PM.jpg

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    As others have pointed out, players need to earn their opportunity and shouldn't be played simply because they have come through the youth academy. However it's difficult to argue against the fact we have been well behind other clubs in terms of giving youngsters a chance rather than signing a raft of short term squad fillers, as the two graphs from 2008 - 2019 indicate.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/20...-young-players

Screen+Shot+2020-01-03+at+9.18.04+AM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2020-01-02+at+1.40.51+PM.jpg
    All part of the same issue. We haven’t produced enough players worthy of getting more chances.

Okay so we should bin all current transfer chat because really we can put out a team every week as it is?

The club will manage what we do and don’t have to spend. We are just saying areas we’d like to see strengthened.
    Apologies Andy, my point wasn't exclusively directed at you and it came across as being more pointed than intended.

I'm hoping there are more players to come in, and hopefully a few more to move on. With the finances in mind, you would imagine that well paid fringe players, like Mallan and Hallberg, might be the ones. Midfield is the main area of concern for me, even more so with Allan not featuring at all recently. |I would imagine Jack will want to continue to bring his own men in, hence Stephen McGInn signing up. I think we have cover enough up front, particularly with the flexibility a change of shape might add, if required because of injury.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Steve20;6309071]We really do. After another midfielder, it should be the priority. When Nisbet was out and Doidge looked isolated, it showed.

Wright isn't a striker, no matter what is said and Murphy isn't either.[/QUOTE

Gullan is a striker. If we have money to spend I really don’t see it being on a striker who is coming in as third choice.