hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Crampsey

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably a little known fact, but Archie Macpherson’s son, has a season ticket in the East beside us, and has done for many years
    Woof!

Does he look like his Dad?

Back on topic, I met Bob Crampsey once at some sort of social function years ago. Was struggling for small talk until I mentioned Hibs - and that was that. An hour of encyclopedic knowledge about Hibs through the decades then followed. Couldn't get another word in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Back in the day folk complained about Arthur Montford and Archie McPherson just as much as we complain about Dodds and English these days.
    Montford commentated, presented and usually just stuck to the facts. Archie McPherson was far more opinionated and offered his own point of view fairly regularly, thus he tended to get more stick.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I thought he was on Scotsport on STV.
    Whatever, I agree his gravitas was immense. Dodds won't even know what that means.
    You are correct, at least in the 1960s.
    Bob Crampsey was the commentator on the long lost recording of the Napoli game. He obviously worked for the BBC in later years.

To think we once had
    Bob Crampsey
    Alistair Alexander
    David Francey

Even Archie and Arthur on the tv

The rot started with Gerry mcnee
    Now we’ve a cast of 1000s who are inarticulate masters of stating the obvious. Sorry I don’t normally post but just enjoy reading the comments but this really drove home how bad the bbc sports department has become.

Quote Originally Posted by teamholm View Post
    To think we once had
    Bob Crampsey
    Alistair Alexander
    David Francey

Now we’ve a cast of 1000s who are inarticulate masters of stating the obvious. Sorry I don’t normally post but just enjoy reading the comments but this really drove home how bad the bbc sports department has become.
    I didn't like Gerry MvNee either. Awful individual. On rare occasions when I was able to tune into Clyde James Sanderson was comedy gold....it was around the time the Tin Man was playing for now defunct Glasgow club.

To think we once had
    Bob Crampsey
    Alistair Alexander
    David Francey

True. David Begg was very good too. Was never a fan of Archie MacPherson or Gerry McNee. I actually quite liked Jock Brown as a commentator
    Last edited by Since452; 18-09-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotry
    Hes more verbose, but that doesn't mean he's not stupid. However I reckon he isn't stupid, he's just very, very sly bordering on the snide - so you have to question why that is.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    I didn't like Gerry MvNee either. Awful individual. On rare occasions when I was able to tune into Clyde James Sanderson was comedy gold....it was around the time the Tin Man was playing for now defunct Glasgow club.
    I've posted this a few times but my ex father-in-law had seats in the Waddell Suite at Ibrox and I would go there when Hibs were playing. We were right in front of the press box and he often had to ask whoever he was sitting beside what had happened and which player did what. Maybe just an eyesight problem but you wonder why he was reporting on matches in that case.

For what it's worht, the majority of folk in the press box were usually well oiled.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Rumour years ago that he was in the running to be the first Rector of Holyrood School in Edinburgh.Is cousin Fr Crampsey until recently was a priest at Sacred Heart.Once heard him interviewed on the radio and he was asked his favourite player.He replied Gordon Smith and the numpty interviewing him thought it was the Rangers player !!! Bob quickly put him right.
    The radio discussion that I heard was a debate among the presenters and pundits in the studio and around the grounds prior to kick offs to identify the best Scottish player that they had seen. The merits of Jimmy Johnstone, Henrik Larson and Brian Laudrup and a few other notable players were offered until Richard Gordon invited Bob Crampsey to name the best player he has ever seen play in the Scottish Leagues and actually suggested Bob would endorse Laudrup who he did rate highly. Without hesitation Bob said that he had never seen anyone who was better than Gordon Smith and he went on to explain why the Prince of Wingers was unrivaled and should be heralded as the greatest without any shadow of doubt.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    It was either Alistair Alexander or David Begg who was commentating on France v Scotland when Faddy scored the screamer. The commentary upon the full time whistle was fantastic spine tingling stuff. I’ve never been able to find it again.

To think we now have Rob McLean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Bob would be turning in his grave if he heard the likes of English, Dodds and McCann.
    Correct. His retirement effectively heralded a “Jerry Springerisation” of sports journalism. They’d rather provoke conflict and sensationalism than provide cerebral analysis and well structured eloquent reporting.

To think we once had
    Bob Crampsey
    Alistair Alexander
    David Francey

The good old days, although I recall Francey mucking up his commentary a few times.
    IIRC Ian Archer took over Bob Crampsey's slot on Scotsport but wasn't a patch on him. Alex Cameron had a go too but his best piece to camera was when he got shunted by the rear end of a muckle big frisky police horse. The look on his face! Near wet masel at the time. Sadly can't find it on U Choob.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Rumour years ago that he was in the running to be the first Rector of Holyrood School in Edinburgh.Is cousin Fr Crampsey until recently was a priest at Sacred Heart.Once heard him interviewed on the radio and he was asked his favourite player.He replied Gordon Smith and the numpty interviewing him thought it was the Rangers player !!! Bob quickly put him right.
    That will be Holy Rood School, I went there and for some reason they loved telling us it was two words unlike every other Holyrood in Scotland

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Correct. His retirement effectively heralded a “Jerry Springerisation” of sports journalism. They’d rather provoke conflict and sensationalism than provide cerebral analysis and well structured eloquent reporting.
    Plus if you're not either an ex hearts, rangers, aberdeen or motherwell fan or player you've very little chance of being on the show. If they wanted balance they'd have at least one ex Hibs player or supporter on as a regular contributor. Tam Mcmanus and Craig Paterson were decent but never on now. Its Dodds, Biscuits, McCann, Mcfadden etc. Sportsound has never been so biased imo in all my years of listening to it. As for English's recent campaigning on behalf of budge and hearts it was chronic extremely one sided tedium.

Once saw Ian Archer leaving Easter Road looked like a guy that liked the sauce too much.
    Pretty sure there rumours that it was other stuff he was heavily into- that would make you behave differently.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Plus if you're not either an ex hearts, rangers, aberdeen or motherwell fan or player you've very little chance of being on the show. If they wanted balance they'd have at least one ex Hibs player or supporter on as a regular contributor. Tam Mcmanus and Craig Paterson were decent but never on now. Its Dodds, Biscuits, McCann, Mcfadden etc. Sportsound has never been so biased imo in all my years of listening to it. As for English's recent campaigning on behalf of budge and hearts it was chronic extremely one sided tedium.
    I get your point, but hasn't Yogi been a reasonably regular pundit when he's out of a job, and I'm sure I've heard John Collins on a few times as well? And is Pat Bonner not on quite a lot too from a Celtc perspective? I'm not a regular listener, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Back in the day folk complained about Arthur Montford and Archie McPherson just as much as we complain about Dodds and English these days.
    Both of them liked to minimise the bad behaviour of players on the field. A vicious tackle...Archie says " he slightly mistimed that one"...… A Drew Busby elbow to the coupon, Arthur says " momentum from the jump carried the elbow up to face height there". Neither liked to rock the boat much, a\nd that';s an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.
    There are people out there with that knowledge of Scottish Football - David Ross & Andy Mitchell spring to mind. They just don't get a platform in the conventional media & I think that is more an era thing than knowledge thing.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    That will be Holy Rood School, I went there and for some reason they loved telling us it was two words unlike every other Holyrood in Scotland
    It should be two words though. As you know Holy Rood means Holy Cross, referring to miraculous intervention of the Chief when daftie King David was unhorsed and about to be impaled on the antlers of a crazed stag he's been hunting. I think the distaste for anything that resembled popery led to the place name Holy Rood becoming Holyrood and the change of pronunciation so that Holy became Holly.

Bob Crampsey, Alastair Alexander and James Alexander Gordon on the radio on the way home from the game followed by getting sent to get a Pink and bag of chips later in the evening.

An early 90s childhood (and I daresay for a generation or 3 before).
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.
    couldn’t ever stand his nasal delivery but don’t dispute then quality of content over his modern day ‘equivalent’
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Probably a little known fact, but Archie Macpherson’s son, has a season ticket in the East beside us, and has done for many years
    When we were going to one of the Scottish Cup semi-finals against Rangers (which we won) in the seventies he was going to the match with a couple of laddies. One was wearing a huns scarf and the other one a Hibs scarf.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    couldn’t ever stand his nasal delivery but don’t dispute then quality of content over his modern day ‘equivalent’
    He had a very distinctive voice, I remember as kids we would do impressions of him and Francey.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He was a giant of football writing and broadcasting. Too many empty vessels competing with each other now.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MM19 View Post
    When we were going to one of the Scottish Cup semi-finals against Rangers (which we won) in the seventies he was going to the match with a couple of laddies. One was wearing a huns scarf and the other one a Hibs scarf.
    They always said Archie was a blue nose

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He was a giant of football writing and broadcasting. Too many empty vessels competing with each other now.
    Agree 100% crampsey forgot more about football - andhow to write good informed entertaining copy - than the current crop could ever achieve - perhaps with the exception of mcIlvanney.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Bob Crampsey, Alastair Alexander and James Alexander Gordon on the radio on the way home from the game followed by getting sent to get a Pink and bag of chips later in the evening.

An early 90s childhood (and I daresay for a generation or 3 before).
    For us auld yins the Pink and the Green.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    For us auld yins the Pink and the Green.
    The Green? Are you frae Ahburdeen?
    (I'm a poet and don't even know it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    The Green? Are you frae Ahburdeen?
    (I'm a poet and don't even know it.)
    I'm not from Aberdeen but I used to deliver the Green Final in my younger years :)

Bob Crampsey was a legend. I always loved listening to him.

Who was the Evening News reporter in the late 70s that was doing the match reports on BBC on Hibs and Hearts matches, usually slagging us off?
    To be fair we were rank at the time and he wasn't any more generous on Hearts if memory serves right.

EZ