hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Crampsey

Bob Crampsey

Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was thinking about how poor Sportsound had become these days and remembered growing up listening to Bob Crampsey on the program and being completely in awe of his knowledge. When he spoke you listened. Really nobody of that ilk these days. He didn't seem to have an affiliation to any club. Believe he was a head teacher at a RC school but might be wrong. Last of a kind was Bob Crampsey.
    I'm sure the story was he was a Third Lanark supporter. He grew up near both Cathkin and Hampden and would go to watch Thirds one week and Queen's Park the next, as well as any other big games at Hampden. His brother Frank was a goalkeeper who played over 100 games for Queen's and Bob wrote a book on their history for their centenary in 1967.

Bob won Brain of Britain and had such incredible knowledge on so many subjects that whatever he said carried a gravitas that was unmatched on Sportsound and has never been replaced.

Crampsey was never on Sportsound...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Crampsey was never on Sportscene...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!
    He was definitely on Sportsound though

Bob was very good and enjoyed listening to him he might have stayed on a year or two too long. Unlike Chic who has been there about 30 years too long.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Bob would be turning in his grave if he heard the likes of English, Dodds and McCann.

Blog Entries
    I think the school may have been in Coatbridge. JJ Gilmour, singer with the original Silencers often references Bob Crampsey at his gigs as the Headmaster who expelled him saying he would come to nothing in life. Most of today’s presenters and pundits couldn’t hold a candle to him.

Rumour years ago that he was in the running to be the first Rector of Holyrood School in Edinburgh.Is cousin Fr Crampsey until recently was a priest at Sacred Heart.Once heard him interviewed on the radio and he was asked his favourite player.He replied Gordon Smith and the numpty interviewing him thought it was the Rangers player !!! Bob quickly put him right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think the school may have been in Coatbridge. JJ Gilmour, singer with the original Silencers often references Bob Crampsey at his gigs as the Headmaster who expelled him saying he would come to nothing in life. Most of today’s presenters and pundits couldn’t hold a candle to him.
    Aye very very knowledgeable man. Always spoke well of Hibs

@hibs.net private member
    It’s embarrassing to think of the ‘experts’ we now have to listen to (not that I listen to Sportsound anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Crampsey was never on Sportsound...try Sportsreel it was that long ago!
    I thought he was on Scotsport on STV.
    Whatever, I agree his gravitas was immense. Dodds won't even know what that means.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Probably a little known fact, but Archie Macpherson’s son, has a season ticket in the East beside us, and has done for many years

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Whatever, I agree his gravitas was immense. Dodds won't even know what that means.
    Crampsey was a radio guy. You're maybe thinking of Arthur Montford - another great commentator, but couldn't hold a candle to the great Bob IMO.

As for the current crop of 'experts' - to compare them in any way would be an insult to BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Yeah, I remember him on STV's Scotsport all those years ago too when I still stayed in the UK, he changed later on to the radio - wonder how he would have got on in today's footballing world?

Won the Brain of Britain back in the 1960's. Clever man.

For me Crampsey was the best, I thought Alastair Alexander was pretty good too.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Yeah, I remember him on STV's Scotsport all those years ago too when I still stayed in the UK, he changed later on to the radio - wonder how he would have got on in today's footballing world?
    I stand corrected, can only assume that his Scotsport tenure was before my time. Sorry to Greenbeard!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Bob would be turning in his grave if he heard the likes of English, Dodds and McCann.
    Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotry
    Last edited by Is It On....; 18-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Crampsey was a radio guy. You're maybe thinking of Arthur Montford - another great commentator, but couldn't hold a candle to the great Bob IMO.

As for the current crop of 'experts' - to compare them in any way would be an insult to BC.
    Wasn't Arthur a Dumbarton fan? Great sports jackets as well 😂

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Morton, I believe..

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Legend !

Up there with David Francey

Blog Entries
    Tom English is head and shoulders above the other 2 that you mention. He is a proper sports journalist, they are just ex footballers, one of whom is an apologist for bigotry
    First part is definitely true but his status as a serious journalist took a major dip recently when he misguidedly embarked on his campaign to ‘save Hearts’, at any opportunity.

Coaching Staff
    He was the complete journalist, I attended a talk he hosted in Kirkcaldy many years ago, about Glasgow during WW2. Included aspects of the Clydebank blitz. He had amazing knowledge, the time flew past.

Once saw Ian Archer leaving Easter Road looked like a guy that liked the sauce too much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post

Arthur Montford and his infamous dog-tooth and herring bone sports jackets that played havoc with the old black and white telly screens.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Arthur's son Geoff was (maybe still is) a DJ in Glasgow. He's a friend of friends and I met him a couple of times. Strangely I was more star struck than when I've met other people who are famous in their own right.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Back in the day folk complained about Arthur Montford and Archie McPherson just as much as we complain about Dodds and English these days.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Bob Crampsey was a gem of a man, we've not had anybody even close to him since he passed.

Had incredible knowledge and worked for both BBC and STV over his career outwith journalism.

One particular story made me respect him even more.

My Uncle Alex played for Pencaitland Amateurs when they reached the Scottish Amateur Cup Final two years in a row in the early 1960s, one year they got beaten 6-0 by Queens Park at Hampden (who changed their team entirely and played the team that was in the Scottish First Division beside Hibs at that time) and the other was a 1-0 loss to Bearsden at Powderhall.

Alex seemed to recall that highlights of the finals were shown on the tv and he wrote to Bob asking if he had any recollection of them. Bob replied promptly to state he could and he would try to locate them and get him a copy. He tried over a long period of time to locate them at both channels but alas couldn't get them. My Auntie Cathie still has the letters from Bob.

A great man who took time out to try and help someone who loved football as much as him.

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    I think I told this story on here years ago but I'll bore you all with it again.

I used to work for a book publisher and we were trying to get Bob Crampsey to write a book for us. He came in to see us to discuss the project and after the meeting I got chatting to him about football.

He casually dropped into the conversation the fact that he'd heard that Mo Johnston was about to sign for Rangers. To be honest, I thought Bob had lost the plot as days earlier Johnston had been paraded at Parkhead in a Celtic top, not to mention the fact that he was a 'Celtic-minded' catholic and Rangers at that point were still clinging on to their strict no catholics policy.

Anyway, as we all know his info turned out to be 100% spot on and I always regretted the fact that I never ran to the bookie's that afternoon to see what odds I could get on Johnston joining Rangers. I could've made a small fortune but at the time it all seemed too ridiculous to be true.

What's he doing on sportsound then other than being a budge, levein and all things hearts loyalist that is? Sportsounds a sorry joke these days.