hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve already explained this if you read the thread. It’s an error in the sense it requires a certain amount of knowledge and is not a universal format.

Trust me I’ve been studying stats a long time and this is not correct.

Easy fixed however.
    Trust me I’ve been reading football scores for a long time and it is correct, requires no knowledge and as far as I am concerned is a universal format for football scores. End of.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 18-09-2020 at 06:51 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

From memory we were the “away” team so if they were consistent it would have been..

Rangers N 2:3
    That's exactly how the score is recorded.

Drinking has increased quite a lot during Lockdown...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Trust me I’ve been reading football scores for a long time and it is correct, requires no knowledge and as far as I am concerned is a universal format for football scores. End of.
    The convention of home score first and away second is what I'd expect when results are being reported in a "neutral" place, i.e. newspapers, BBC, when both teams names are given. (Universal everywhere except North America)

However when results are being given from one teams perspective (i.e. Hibs match programme, or the Hibs website) you'd expect that teams score to be given first regardless of whether it was home or away. That's the way the programme did the season stats page as long as I remembered. (haven't bought a programme in years). And it's in line with the way people speak.

I've never heard any Hibs fan say "we had two brilliant 0-3 wins Vs Rangers at Ibrox in 2005/06 but had to settle for a 2-1 win at Easter Road in the fixture in-between" Just sounds ridiculous.

Reversing the score line (in this context) whether the match was home or away is counter productive and unnecessary, it means the reader has to then check something else (H/A) to understand score fully.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    The convention of home score first and away second is what I'd expect when results are being reported in a "neutral" place, i.e. newspapers, BBC, when both teams names are given. (Universal everywhere except North America)

However when results are being given from one teams perspective (i.e. Hibs match programme, or the Hibs website) you'd expect that teams score to be given first regardless of whether it was home or away. That's the way the programme did the season stats page as long as I remembered. (haven't bought a programme in years). And it's in line with the way people speak.

I've never heard any Hibs fan say "we had two brilliant 0-3 wins Vs Rangers at Ibrox in 2005/06 but had to settle for a 2-1 win at Easter Road in the fixture in-between" Just sounds ridiculous.

Reversing the score line (in this context) whether the match was home or away is counter productive and unnecessary, it means the reader has to then check something else (H/A) to understand score fully.
    You’ve just tried to describe a problem that doesn’t actually exist, sorry not being awkward but I just don’t see it, maybe I am just used to it. I’ll bow out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I don't doubt for a second that you believe you are right, nor that your intentions are good, however going on the fact you don't see the format as being, at best messy and at worst misleading - would mean I wouldn't trust you with compiling stats in my work

To be clear the issue isn't that the home team score is recorded first - which seems to be your point (please correct me if I'm wrong). The issue is with the format when using this system. If you are to present results, like the Hibs website are doing, they need to add in WIN, LOST or DRAW as below otherwise the stats are open to interpretation.

Current format

Rangers N 2:3 ----> with no knowledge of this fixture you would read that as a 3-2 defeat (if reading on a Hibs website). The key is to assume the reader has no prior knowledge of the stats being presented and also that your stats are crystal clear and not open to interpretation.

Rangers N 2:3 WIN --> this is the easiest fix I would suggest

Rangers 2 Hibernian 3 N ---> also works and to my eye this is more pleasing.

Actually this is another thing that grates me...oh dear

RANGERS 2 HIBS 3

RANGERS 2 HIBERNIAN 3

It looks so much better when they (whoever they are) use our full name. Hibernian is a beauty of a club name and I much prefer when used.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post

I don't doubt for a second that you believe you are right, nor that your intentions are good, however going on the fact you don't see the format as being, at best messy and at worst misleading - would mean I wouldn't trust you with compiling stats in my work

To be clear the issue isn't that the home team score is recorded first - which seems to be your point (please correct me if I'm wrong). The issue is with the format when using this system. If you are to present results, like the Hibs website are doing, they need to add in WIN, LOST or DRAW as below otherwise the stats are open to interpretation.

Current format

Rangers N 2:3 ----> with no knowledge of this fixture you would read that as a 3-2 defeat (if reading on a Hibs website). The key is to assume the reader has no prior knowledge of the stats being presented and also that your stats are crystal clear and not open to interpretation.

Rangers N 2:3 WIN --> this is the easiest fix I would suggest

Rangers 2 Hibernian 3 N ---> also works and to my eye this is more pleasing.

Actually this is another thing that grates me...oh dear

RANGERS 2 HIBS 3

RANGERS 2 HIBERNIAN 3

It looks so much better when they (whoever they are) use our full name. Hibernian is a beauty of a club name and I much prefer when used.
    I agree with you about games played at a neutral venue, writing - Rangers N 2-3 without any other information isn't helpful unless you already know the score.

Writing - Livingston A 1-4 is fine and I think anyone reading that would know that the away team won 4-1 (rather than it automatically being a 4-1 defeat for Hibs) and because "A" indicates Hibs were the away team, it's clear that Hibs won 4-1.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Drinking has increased quite a lot during Lockdown...
    Why be an erse ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The OP is spot on. It's a fairly trivial point I suppose but he is correct and it is annoying.

Reminds me of the days when the official site was an absolute joke and I decided to point out on here that they had actually mis-spelt "Hibernian" on their front page headline. Only to get slaughtered of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I agree with you about games played at a neutral venue, writing - Rangers N 2-3 without any other information isn't helpful unless you already know the score.

Writing - Livingston A 1-4 is fine and I think anyone reading that would know that the away team won 4-1 (rather than it automatically being a 4-1 defeat for Hibs) and because "A" indicates Hibs were the away team, it's clear that Hibs won 4-1.

However using this format doesn't give you an option to correct the fixture at a neutral venue. Hence if they simply add WIN, LOST, DRAW it's all good (if not pleasing on the eye).

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Why be an erse ?

My comment was around the discussion as a whole, plus I didn't think anybody would take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    My comment was around the discussion as a whole, plus I didn't think anybody would take it seriously.
    My intentions aren't to upset or annoy anyone - nor have I said it's serious it's more that it grates when I see an official stats page looking so amateurish. Maybe I should offer to compile the Hibernian stats page going forward...
    Last edited by RoxburghHibs; 18-09-2020 at 08:15 AM.

You don’t need to already know the scores.

The home (H) and away (A) makes it very obvious if hibs won or loss and like most have said is how scores are written in football.

My intentions aren't to upset or annoy anyone - nor have I said it's serious it's more that it grates when I see a messy stats page looking so amateurish. Maybe I should offer to compile the Hibernian stats page going forward...

Sounds fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    You don’t need to already know the scores.

The home (H) and away (A) makes it very obvious if hibs won or loss and like most have said is how scores are written in football.
    As per previous posts I agree it "works" for fixtures that have been played Home or Away, but is not pleasing on the eye, however it does not work for fixtures that are not played home or away. It's certainly not a universal system or how scores are written in football.

Hibernian fixture
    Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
    Livingston (A) 4-1
    Dundee Utd (A) 1-0
    St Johnstone (A) 1-0
    Aberdeen (H) 0-1
    St Mirren (A) 3-0
    Hearts (N) 2-0
    etc.

The above is how scores should be written on the a clubs website - where the first score is the focus team. You can quickly read down a long list of results and get an understanding of the scores. The below not so clear but you do get there when you check the match location and use another website to work out the neutral score

Hibernian fixture
    Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
    Livingston (A) 1-4
    Dundee Utd (A) 0-1
    St Johnstone (A) 0-1
    Aberdeen (H) 0-1
    St Mirren (A) 0-3
    Hearts (N) 0-2

Anyway I think I've made my point and hey it's not a big thing just grates people like me who are anal about stats

Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    Home teams score first is the universal system for writing football results. There is nothing wrong with how it’s written.
    Apart from in America obviously

As per previous posts I agree it "works" for fixtures that have been played Home or Away, but is not pleasing on the eye, however it does not work for fixtures that are not played home or away. It's certainly not a universal system or how scores are written in football.

Hibernian fixture
    Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
    Livingston (A) 4-1
    Dundee Utd (A) 1-0
    St Johnstone (A) 1-0
    Aberdeen (H) 0-1
    St Mirren (A) 3-0
    Hearts (N) 2-0
    etc.

The above is how scores should be written on the a clubs website - where the first score is the focus team. You can quickly read down a long list of results and get an understanding of the scores. The below not so clear but you do get there when you check the match location and use another website to work out the neutral score

Hibernian fixture
    Kilmarnock (H) 2-1
    Livingston (A) 1-4
    Dundee Utd (A) 0-1
    St Johnstone (A) 0-1
    Aberdeen (H) 0-1
    St Mirren (A) 0-3
    Hearts (N) 0-2

Anyway I think I've made my point and hey it's not a big thing just grates people like me who are anal about stats
    Your point is a brilliant one and I can`t believe more people don`t see it that way. I Don`t think that`s the way it`s always been, not on a single list like that when it just lists who Hibs have played rather than have Hibs or Hibernian after each opponent`s name ( even though we know it`s Hibs official site). I randomly checked another team`s site ( St. Johnstone) - they too have a single list but give Saints score first whether home or away as IMO it should be. Checked one other ( Dundee Utd) - they don`t have a single list but mention both teams in the result so not comparable. I think any neutrals looking in would think Hibs had lost most of their games this season. It is very uneasy on the eye as you say and top marks to greenlad as well as his reply pretty much summed it all up.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Apart from in America obviously
    Yes. Not sure if it applies to “soccer” matches, but in football and baseball, the away team is always first i.e Yankees at Chicago. Therefore, possibly “universal” only in Europe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Even at a neutral venue, the two teams are designated home and away no?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    In the sense that they get home and away dressing rooms - yes. But it's listed as neutral in the fixtures so doesn't work in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    They do but if you don't know which one is which, writing "Rangers N 2-3" doesn't really help you.

Maybe a "Get it right up ye Andy Halliday" at the end might help to provide some clarity.

I wasted a little time and did some research and found that some of the posters on this thread when posting a perpendicular team line always put the left side of the team first e.g a back four of Stevenson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Gray
    Some folk are just caw handed I guess.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I wasted a little time and did some research and found that some of the posters on this thread when posting a perpendicular team line always put the left side of the team first e.g a back four of Stevenson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Gray
    Some folk are just caw handed I guess.
    Folk that do that should be banned

@hibs.net private member
    I’m strongly against H, A and N. I think they should be h, a and n.

I'm strongly against W, D and L. I think it should be W, W and W.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    It's a Hibs website, why do they include the other teams score - sort it, Petrie.........

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Just put the Hibs score in Bold every time and it’s sorted.