hibs.net Messageboard

Official Site: TOM JAMES AGREES LOAN MOVE

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member

Official Site: TOM JAMES AGREES LOAN MOVE

Good luck to him ..and some funds to play with too...good for all parties ...

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Naismith added , he is a versatile player

Never really worked out, no hard feelings best for all parties.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Good move and frees up some finances, unless those finances where why we signed McGinn.

@hibs.net private member
    Only until January? Strange one

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are Wigan still in admin

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Can't remember seeing a more passive full back, would be better further forward IMO, but good luck to him. Hopefully it turns out becoming a permanent move.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Can't remember seeing a more passive full back, would be better further forward IMO, but good luck to him. Hopefully it turns out becoming a permanent move.
    Looked well off the pace against St Mirren in our first league game last season before he got injured and had a nightmare in the semi vs Celtic.

Def got good technical ability but just didnt seem up to it from what we saw of him. It was astonishing that after a few ok games against lower league opposition in early season league cup games that some on here were raving about him and pointing to him being a long term RB solution. A lesson there in waiting a bit longer before making such bold proclamations without any real evidence.

I was expecting an awful lot from him signing and unfortunately it never worked out.

Rave reviews before he signed and sounded a real coup with him linked with Championship teams. I thought we were getting a very similar player to James Taverniner - full of energy, would get up and down the line, beating his man and being very good on the ball with great delivery, shot and a goal threat.

Now I wouldn’t question his ability on the ball as he had a very good touch, range of passing and shot, he also made a lot of intelligent passes out of defence which helped us get forward.

However Iv never seen a player that’s so lack lustre and have so little drive about him. He would stick to the right back area, go as slow as possible and never looked like he was breaking a sweat. Defensively he was more than happy to give the winger the entire pitch and never got tight enough.

Who knows, maybe if recruited at a different time and a different manager he, along with Vela May have turned out alright.

I expect we’re paying him a very handsome salary however so happy to see someone else cover it for us to get a new decent player in

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Are Wigan still in admin

Just read a quote on the subject from one the Administrators at Wigan that maybe explains it.

“The only thing is we will not be signing any players for the long-term, because we’re not here for the long-term.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/foo...hletic-2975304

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Looked well off the pace against St Mirren in our first league game last season before he got injured and had a nightmare in the semi vs Celtic.

Def got good technical ability but just didnt seem up to it from what we saw of him. It was astonishing that after a few ok games against lower league opposition in early season league cup games that some on here were raving about him and pointing to him being a long term RB solution. A lesson there in waiting a bit longer before making such bold proclamations without any real evidence.
    Can't argue with a word of that or the majority of the post that followed your one (I knew nothing about him before he signed so had no expectations.) People see different things in players (clearly our recruitment team did too) so I'm not coming on here and acting clever because I didn't rate him, but I do wonder at some of the comments you refer to.

It didn't work out for James here, for what ever reason, so let's hope he has more luck elsewhere.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Can't argue with a word of that or the majority of the post that followed your one (I knew nothing about him before he signed so had no expectations.) People see different things in players (clearly our recruitment team did too) so I'm not coming on here and acting clever because I didn't rate him, but I do wonder at some of the comments you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It didn't work out for James here, for what ever reason, so let's hope he has more luck elsewhere.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hats off to his agent, astonished he has ended up at Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I was expecting an awful lot from him signing and unfortunately it never worked out.

Rave reviews before he signed and sounded a real coup with him linked with Championship teams. I thought we were getting a very similar player to James Taverniner - full of energy, would get up and down the line, beating his man and being very good on the ball with great delivery, shot and a goal threat.

Now I wouldn’t question his ability on the ball as he had a very good touch, range of passing and shot, he also made a lot of intelligent passes out of defence which helped us get forward.

However Iv never seen a player that’s so lack lustre and have so little drive about him. He would stick to the right back area, go as slow as possible and never looked like he was breaking a sweat. Defensively he was more than happy to give the winger the entire pitch and never got tight enough.

Who knows, maybe if recruited at a different time and a different manager he, along with Vela May have turned out alright.

I expect we’re paying him a very handsome salary however so happy to see someone else cover it for us to get a new decent player in
    He was weird.

Clearly he had some decent attributes but he seemed totally deficient in certain things required of a professional footballer - urgency, concentration, energy.

He had a good touch, a decent pass and a great shot but didn’t look like he would be comfortable playing any position on the field - never a fullback, not a CB, never a striker and never a midfielder. Maybe an attacking midfielder who drifts around on the periphery of games scoring a peach every now and then?

Very strange player. Maybe he’ll find a bit something extra and do ok somewhere, maybe not though.

He looks like a player who could make a very tidy highlight reel that would paper over a multitude of sins on a football pitch.
    Last edited by Smartie; 17-09-2020 at 06:23 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    Hats off to his agent, astonished he has ended up at Wigan
    His agents are this big group called Base Soccer. They have players like Deli Ali, James Maddison etc on their books, and amongst others, Doidge, Glenn Middleton and Heckingbottom

Another player who looked great in his Youtube compilation than he really was, disappointed we couldn't get him off the wages for good, so hopefully he impresses down there.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Good luck to him.